Yarra Valley Mountain District FL Forum

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with you there local. appsy and Bakens at knox in div 1 are prime example. both of them good players in div 1 team. Daniel Porter was a decent player at Emerald and is one of the best in the 2's at lilydale. John Mackay, Cailin Porter and the kenny brothers are two others that have done well there from emerald. Adam Macdonald who is a middle of the road player at alex played at ff in scoresby's div 2 premiership 2 years ago. james quilty, patty spendlove and daniel brodie from seville are all good players at mitcham this year. the list goes on.

agree that our div 1 sides would compete in div 2 with probably silvan in 1st div and top half of div 2 yv would be in div 3.

More Names;

How about Condor and Burley (ex South Belgrave), Millwood (Olinda FC) and Braden (Yarra Glen) at Lilydale, Paul Ferguson (Belgrave) and Josh Kamoen (U/T) at E.Ringwood and Adam Gee (Monbulk) at Mulgrave. Also Bainbridge (Belgrave) at Scoresby.

The list rolls on....

Perhaps you can let us know on the return of Phil Fisher from Dromana? Played the first game for them this year and killed them then all of a sudden he returns to the Boners - what was the story there?

Good pick up for you guys getting him back. Surely he isn't living on the Mornington Peninsula and travelling back to play with you guys.

yeh mate fish is back with us. he wasnt enjoying it down there and missed the boys he played in a flag with last year. his best mates are kb and big bernie who are still with us too.

yeh he is living in rosebud but is training this week with us at thornton. he will probably only train with us every couple of weeks but is super fit. sometimes he will get to my place in berwick and come up with me.

He was great on the weekend in his first game back.

Been a good footballer Fish, and a nice fella to go with it :thumbsu: On an earlier topic, it's got me f**ked though why Brad Coller isn't in that Div.2 best 22 :eek: One of the better footballers I saw in the 3-4 years I was involved at Yea

Been a good footballer Fish, and a nice fella to go with it :thumbsu: On an earlier topic, it's got me f**ked though why Brad Coller isn't in that Div.2 best 22 :eek: One of the better footballers I saw in the 3-4 years I was involved at Yea

hes too fat and slow and old doona.

Interesting to read the comments re. umpiring. It wasnt that long ago that our umpiring was the envy of all other leagues - what went wrong there?

I even remember us having three umpires in our home and away games and no club umpires being used at all.

From my observations there seems to be a loss of many good umpires that were around a few years ago. Perhaps someone can fill us forum readers in.

I'm not allowed to say much but his initials could start with Will Eastmure.......

What needs to be remembered is that not all the best players are in Div 1. There are just a few more of them than in Div 2, which is why their clubs are there. To speculate that any Div 1 player is better than a Div 2 is nonsense. It is entirely reasonable to say that many of the leagues top thirty players could be from 2nd Div sides and I could even hazard a guess that it would be about a third. This will rarely be reflected in Interleague selection.
My guess about why 2nd Div players are less in favour at Interleague level revolves around a (pretty fair) assumption that they may not adapt as readily to the higher pressure. So where there are players of similar standard, the nod would probably go to the higher division player. Right or wrong, I think this is in the back of the minds of selectors.

I'm not allowed to say much but his initials could start with Will Eastmure.......

Hey Moin,

Good to see you back albeit briefly. Perhaps you could expand on those comments.

Just remember how the league a few years ago had some really good umpires and none of them appear to be around anymore. Always enjoyed going along to the game knowing generally that umpiring was never going to be an issue.

Nowdays sometimes its like a lottery!!!

Thought id put my 2 bob in... interesting to see the interleague selections.Thought id put my team in based on players only invited and those players i have seen and played against ( not sure bout new blokes in league so sorry in advance)

R Newell (sil) L Barkley (hville) C Haworth (Mtev)

D King (wan) P Graylin (wan) D Ryan (worri)

M Bullen (sil) B Haynes (sil) T Williamson (worri)

C Hayes (UT) T Wragg (mon) R Hall (TE)

T Hedge (UT) J Conru (hville) G Moorcroft (sil)

foll
C Clarke (gee)
A shipp (gee)
P Sharpe (worri)
interchange (extended) C Buckland (mt eve) K Dale (sil) A Bonsak (wan) D Bissles (Sil) V Dunstan (mon) C Goodlet (sil) D Selrig (YG)

Thought patty Glassborrow (sil), D Troyan (Sev) L Smith (TE)-if still playing???, stiff not to get invited

Also with the comparison between YV-EFL.Having played YV 1st & 2nd divi and also 3rd divi EFL and now this year 4th. id say top 3 teams in Efl 4th would come round 4-5 in YV 1st divi,but wouldnt really compete with top 2 ( Sil,Worri).. Top 3 in EFL 4th divi would beat all teams in YV 2nd divi.Top 2 teams in YV could compete in EFL second divi and Sil,worri would be contenders (finals prob anyway).

Also in YV players in EFL... WADE PORTER (east ring) from (em) or (bel) would be in top 3 players in EFL 1st divi a absolute gun!!! DANIEL SHEERS (east ring) from (em) or (bel) one top 2 backman in EFL 1st divi and has been for years. also EFL 1st divi premiship captain... Grant brothers from wandin are top players at Croydon....MATT PRICE (clodstream) was originaly from hville, has won 3 EFL league best & fairest and countless club b&fs,still only about 26-27 years old

Well i finally made it back, the H bloods No1 supporter is back.

What a game at the cattery last week, with the ginger ninja trying to take mark of the century again and little benny boy haynes still skirting round the sides of the pack picking up scraps.
The KIDS, and it was a team of kids, from H town really showed some spirit.

There is hope for finals

GO THE BLOODS!!!!!

It was a great local derby today and a ripper win to the Boners. A wonderful team effort but special mention to the backmen who were outstanding all day. I was surprised to read so many tipped Alex...can't fathom the reason for that. All things being even you'd think home ground advantage would tip the scales.

Must say, considering I mentioned it last week, very well umpired today. Consistant both ways. Far less frustrating for the supporters and I'd imagine for the players too.

Loved the review after the game too. Funny stuff and topped off a great day.

Onya Boners. :)

after seein what alex served up today, i hope people realise the difference between thornton and the rest. Not to mention the well below par game that 2 times neil oakley served up. To be a good player neil, one must b able to play against physical opponents and not shy away from the contests like you do every time u play thornton. Grow some balls, put your head over the ball and you might gain some respect from your hardest markers. Or you can continue to b a flat track bully and live on your exploits against lesser teams. People are judged against adversity. All in all, alex were under prepaired, lacked balls, poor skills and direction. Thornton did wat had to be done without doing a great deal

What a joke you are Cakehole could you make it anymore personal. The last game I saw the Boners play they were being bent over by Vin and the boys from Warby no wonder you remain hiddeen in Div 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

after seein what alex served up today, i hope people realise the difference between thornton and the rest. Not to mention the well below par game that 2 times neil oakley served up. To be a good player neil, one must b able to play against physical opponents and not shy away from the contests like you do every time u play thornton. Grow some balls, put your head over the ball and you might gain some respect from your hardest markers. Or you can continue to b a flat track bully and live on your exploits against lesser teams. People are judged against adversity. All in all, alex were under prepaired, lacked balls, poor skills and direction. Thornton did wat had to be done without doing a great deal

Massive call from a Boners supporter there Cakehole! Considering the Boners took the soft option and chose to remain in the shelter of Div 2. Belting the likes of Powelly and so on is hardly a great show of physical football. :thumbsdown:

Thats one thing that I have never really understood in regards to Yarra Valley. Why do the league give the winning premiership team about a month to decide if they want to be promoted? If you have the team to win a premiership in Div 2 why wouldnt you try against Div 1? I know everyone will say travel as its already got a run but not a great arguement.
I think moving forward if you win the Div 2 grand final you are up, as you are down if wooden spoon for Div 1. If you are likely to win Div 2 and lets face it only a few clubs can this year, you should start working towards structuring the club to come up. Vice Versa for releagted teams who no doubt have to factor in losing players who dont want to go down to Div2.

If thornton had of gone up this year the club would have folded... playing against alex and yea keeps people at the club and numbers are bad enough as it is ... although the seniors are winning the twos and 18s are struggling to find numbers every week and is only worse wen injuries play a part... guys that have been travelling up over the hill for so long are finding it hard to get motivated.. if pup wasnt coaching i think the club would come close to folding... that being said though the senior bunch is really tight and all get along ..and thats the reason they get results even if it is in div 2,,, i personally think the seniors would like a chance at playing against the better sides but not at the expense of playing with half a reseves side in the seniors and folding the reserves....
let alone the costs

Thats one thing that I have never really understood in regards to Yarra Valley. Why do the league give the winning premiership team about a month to decide if they want to be promoted? If you have the team to win a premiership in Div 2 why wouldnt you try against Div 1? I know everyone will say travel as its already got a run but not a great arguement.
I think moving forward if you win the Div 2 grand final you are up, as you are down if wooden spoon for Div 1. If you are likely to win Div 2 and lets face it only a few clubs can this year, you should start working towards structuring the club to come up. Vice Versa for releagted teams who no doubt have to factor in losing players who dont want to go down to Div2.

The main reason we stayed down was because yea and kinglake came in. With our gf side and a bit of recruiting we would have been very competetive in div 1. But loosing lucas smith overseas and phil fisher (probably our 2 best players) while we were deciding i think we made the right decision.

also exactly what you said about working to structure the club for div 1 is what we are doing this year. we have a stronger committee and workin financially to be in a good spot to move up. we will need to recruit which let me tell you is a hell of a lot harder for us than teams in the valley thornton has a population of about 250 and with with a lot of locals moving to melbourne for work or schooling it is very hard. think about the teams that dont want to play against us because they have to do 2 trips up this way a year let alone a melbourne based player that wants to train and play here evry second week. we dont want to move up and end up in the bottom 2 or 3 so we are establishing ourselves this year and hopefully we make the move next year.

On the alex game. it was a pretty tough game but probably only won by thornton in the second quarter.

Also want to thank Ernie Dingo, one of our past players that did a speech before the game for the seniors and also for the supporters in the social rooms after the game. It was good to see him at his first game for a while and he said he really enjoyed it and will attend a few more this year.

Ernie played 3 seasons with us in 81, 82, and 83 including the runner up grand final side in 81 against Emerald.

Terrible didnt see what happened but doesnt sound good. Also heard Steve Cole broke his leg filling in for Warbys twos at the last minute. Spoke to him a few weeks ago was only playing vets, very bad luck.:thumbsdown:

The main reason we stayed down was because yea and kinglake came in. With our gf side and a bit of recruiting we would have been very competetive in div 1. But loosing lucas smith overseas and phil fisher (probably our 2 best players) while we were deciding i think we made the right decision.

I think the above is a non arguement as "would have been very competitive in Div 1" is a guess without any games played against better opposition. I could counter your arguement by saying you wouldnt win a game but its also a non arguement as cant be proven. Good to see that your looking towards to the future as if you have a good team the only way to probably keep the non locals if you were to win again would be to give a greater challenge. Kudos to the club & commmittee if they are working towards Div 1 footy.

In regards to recruiting I think its hard wherever you are. As hard as it is to get players to commit to travelling, in town there are alot more sides and someone always has more dollars than you can afford for that player that you know would just make the team better.

What are the thoughts of Yea joining div. 2? It is great to see Thronton, Alex and Yea all in the same league once again and will hopefully draw large crowds for all teams.

Sitting at 2-3 at the moment, how do you boys believe the Yea Season will be this year based on early form and the teams played against? (this includes losses to kinglake, thornton and yarra glen with wins against belgrave and yarra junction)

Any comment would be much appreciated. :thumbsu:

What are the thoughts of Yea joining div. 2? It is great to see Thronton, Alex and Yea all in the same league once again and will hopefully draw large crowds for all teams.

Sitting at 2-3 at the moment, how do you boys believe the Yea Season will be this year based on early form and the teams played against? (this includes losses to kinglake, thornton and yarra glen with wins against belgrave and yarra junction)

Any comment would be much appreciated. :thumbsu:

news wasnt good out of tigerland at the start of the year but after playing them and them getting a couple w's on the board i dont think they are that far off the pace. possible finals contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back