York Park vs Bellerive Oval

Which venue should host AFL football in Tasmania?

• York Park

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Bellerive Oval

Votes: 40 47.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As you can see in this pic, North Hobart has hardly changed much in 83 years.
This was taken in the days before the 1924 National Football Carnival.

nho1924wafg8.jpg

northhobart.jpg

Compare the two. Next to nothing done in 83 years.

ha! i had no idea north hobart was so yesterday!

now, i don't want to go mentioning that lame 'slow-bart' insult- but that is just rediculous that they've done nothing.

tell, hobartians- is it because of strict controls over what can be done there because it is in a residential area? or is it literally because hobart city council are too busy dealing with nightclubs making a bit of noise on a friday night?

Its because Bellerive has got all the funding in the south since the late 1980s (not even slightly linked to the fact that the head of the TCC was also a former president of Clarence cricket and football clubs of course).
Even on that shot there is one stand, admittedly probably from the 50s or so, and to the right of where the camera is is another, much newer one.
North Hobart is more than adequate for anything below AFL level.

York Park was just as "yesterday", if not moreso, prior to recent development. Its clearly the best football ground in the state now, but in terms of facilities it was still 1940s stuff in the late 1990s.

Its because Bellerive has got all the funding in the south since the late 1980s (not even slightly linked to the fact that the head of the TCC was also a former president of Clarence cricket and football clubs of course).
;):thumbsu:
Howard Littlejohn said:
Even on that shot there is one stand, admittedly probably from the 50s or so, and to the right of where the camera is is another, much newer one.
Developments at North Hobart since the 1950's have been a sealing the Argyle Street terraces and building the two players tunnels and construction of the Cazaly Stand in 1965.
Building of press and timekeepers boxes on the roof of the Letitia Street Stand for the 1966 National Football Carnival.
Commencement of building the electronic scoreboard in 1972 for the opening of the 1973 season.
Removal of the burnt-out remains of the Letitia Street Stand in 1987 and subsequent building of the Doug Plaister Stand, completed in 1988.
Building a roof over the Argyle Street terraces in 1987/88.
Gutting out the rear of the Horrie Gorringe Stand in May 1991 to build NHFC Social Club, opened 3 months later.
Building a large advertisement hoarding behind the Letitia Street end goal in 1995.
Howard Littlejohn said:
North Hobart is more than adequate for anything below AFL level.
Apart from the small playing surface, I agree. I am a little concerned at how shabby it has gotten in recent years though.
I would love to see it in all its glory.
I know which ground I'd rather watch football at, and it isn't Bellerive.

Howard Littlejohn said:
York Park was just as "yesterday", if not moreso, prior to recent development. Its clearly the best football ground in the state now, but in terms of facilities it was still 1940s stuff in the late 1990s.
Exactly.
In the late 90's they had the Northern Stand (the jagged roofed one that's still there) built in the late 20's, the Cameron-Tyson Stand built in 1973 which was reduced to about 5 rows by then and the Southern Stand which was built approx. early 60's.
The NLFC Social Club was opened in 1974 and now looks pretty sharp as the Aurora Function Centre.
It was a bit of dump, but I actually liked it. It had character with the poplar trees at both ends and the hedge behind the goals.
The old scoreboard up there was odd looking.

Remove this Banner Ad

York Park vs Bellerive Oval

Back