young roo followers

Remove this Banner Ad

val

Cancelled
Jan 18, 2001
Melbourne
Have been taking my grandson to North games for 5 years (since he was 3) and what a supporter he is. The look on his face when Carlton started their run in the last quarter was a sight to behold. He is so passionate at 8 years of age. I would hate for North to fold. He would be devastated. Interesting to hear his views on the Carey saga. He told me that Carey wasn't nice anymore and we don't need him at North. Apparently the kids at his school had a go at him about Carey and he told them that his dad didn't like Carey anymore because he did a naughty thing (don't know what the naughty thing was though). That was enough for his reasoning to accept that if Carey left North, then he didn't want to play with his friends anymore. Kids could teach us a lot couldn't they. We have reserved seats at Colonial and MCG but away games, we try to sit with as many North supporters as possible and on occasions have sat behind the cheersquad. He gets in to the chant and waves his flag and the beautiful smile when we get a goal makes my day. Perhaps I have brainwashed him. He didn't have a chance to barrack for anyone else with his dad, uncles, granddad and me holding sway. passionate roo Val

Good on you, Val. I hope the little bloke can take his grandchildren to barrack for the Roos, one day, just like you are now. This is what footy is all about. The passion and the pride and the love of the club.

I started taking my daughter in 1997 when she turned 7 and after the Roys had fallen over and nowadays she is almost more passionate than I am. It gives me such a buzz and I hope she too has grandchildren to take to watch the Roos and build the ongoing generations.

Go Roos.

This is what our football club really needs...young passionate supporters. The only way for North not to fold is to have these up and coming supporters becoming passionate members....spread the word........

great to hear you gotta grab em young and ease em into following a great sport and team, i think i was 6 but youd be amazed at what you can remember or recall vividly from games 30 yrs later.

well done val.

i still remember keka in 72\73 demolishing the swans on his own at arden st with ten goals.

• Banned
Working on my twin granddaughters also. One comes occasionally but not interested like her brother, so will keep trying. Val

i've also indoctrinated my kids, 6 and 3 years of age, into supporting north. i've been taking the older to a few games. unfortunately he finds it difficult to concentrate for the full game. it really gets difficult to watch the game when he gets distracted.

Val and everybody, I am originally from Perth but have lived in North Melbourne for ten years. I followed North in the VFL days because of Cabes and the Krakoers. My son is five years old and a fanatical North supporter. After the Hawks kicked five unanswered goals in the first quarter when we played them last time - we had to leave the ground because he was hysterically crying. His enthusiasm has got us all into the club.

I tell you something that all of you already know -our club ismagical - it is like being accepted into a family at Arden Street. It is a real community not some AFL business construct.

Apparently David Hookes has said on 3AW that "you never see a young kid in a North jumper" - he obviously has not seen the Auskick at Arden Street or the Footy Clinic Day.

I think we should take a leaf out of the book of our players and fight for our magnificent club to survive.

I admire you all for taking your young children and grand children to the footy. Its great stuff to get them at a young age and its always interesting to hear a young child's simple take on this sport we get so fired up about.

Its jus like going with King Corey, NorthBhoy and particularly Darky after he's had he's 8th beer .... at quarter time.

Originally posted by Carlos

Its jus like going with King Corey, NorthBhoy and particularly Darky after he's had he's 8th beer .... at quarter time.

I saw Darky at 1qtr time last week.

He had a very puzzled look on his face, and I asked him why. He told me that he was in this pensive state due to the fact that he had just learned he could not eat a pie with his left hand.

Needless to say, I left him to it.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy

He had a very puzzled look on his face, and I asked him why. He told me that he was in this pensive state due to the fact that he had just learned he could not eat a pie with his left hand.

Hmmm. The only doubts i've got over this story is that you're saying Darky only had one beer in his hand. Must have been on his way back to the bar surely?

On Saturday at Colonial bought the usual 2 player badges from our stand for my grandson. He nearly has every player. Anyway had my granddaughter with me; but she didn't want badges and was eyeing off jackets; but conned her by saying they didn't have her size. Moving round to our seats my grandson Bradley spied a North flad and asked sister Ashleigh if that was what she wanted . Of course she said yes and his reply was are you happy now Ash cause we want to enjoy the footy with out you being in a bad mood. She hailed the flag all day and we eventually enjoyed the footy with a win at the end. It does become very expensive for families; but while I keep working I'll keep; spending. Val

Our grandson rising 4yo has been a junior roo since birth joined up by his aunt jularoo and went to his first game this season at the gabba meet David King and had photos taken with him.Favorite jumper is a kangaroo guernsey the 2nd one as has grown out ofthe first.He now knows the theme song of by heart and sings the line
wins for me and julie.

Great that kids that age can get so involved i have tried to switch himto the swans only to be told swans stink.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tashi - interested to know how you came to barrack for North. You seem so knowledgeable re players and obviously also no dill when it comes to the game itself. I love the way you are so loyal to our twos and encourage at every opportunity to get Crowe in the seniors. Stick with North Tashi and you are sure of an enjoyable (sometimes scary ride) ; but certainly never dull. Val

i've managed to brainwash my 4 nephews as well! aged between 8 and 13, so there's 4 more junior roos.

everyone should just go out and but a jumper, a badge, a scarf whatever you can afford for any of the young uns that you know. all it takes is for an adult to show an interest and they will eat it up.

better we get to them and show them the way than some essendon or collingwood scumbag.

Originally posted by a4brianp
Great that kids that age can get so involved i have tried to switch himto the swans only to be told swans stink.

A lad of impeccable taste. Maybe he'll get you orff the pacers.;)

Round 2 this year was unforgetable for my little bloke.

Normally we're one of the few at Footy Park , but Rd 2 against the Dogs was the night Choppy was sensational. (6 goals) .

My son said he had never seen so many North supporters at the same time......and with the come from behind win the we witnessed that night , I remember him saying "This is the best game I've ever been to " , as North slotted through another goal.
(Big statement as he was also at Rd 1 against Port but not quite old enough to understand the signifigance of that victory.)

He loves joining in with the "North Melbourne " chants.

Can't take him to Muzza games anymore , he gets me into too much trouble.....
:eek:

Watching some of the old games from Arden St on Fox Footy, there were hundreds of kids behind the goals at the social club end, it makes you wonder if they are still supporters now and if their kids are now following the Roos too.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy

Mate... it dawned on me at the time that it just felt unnatural. Pie in left hand, beer in right hand, waaaaaaait a second something's wrong here. Quick changeover, order is restored.

Originally posted by Carlos

Hmmm. The only doubts i've got over this story is that you're saying Darky only had one beer in his hand. Must have been on his way back to the bar surely?

It may have been after I went and got a spare, which I conveniently placed in a very safe spot on the ground against a pylon.

Who can possibly hold a pie AND two over-flowing cups of beer? I'm not an octopus you know! (the Mrs might disagree though) ;)

Originally posted by val
Tashi - interested to know how you came to barrack for North. You seem so knowledgeable re players and obviously also no dill when it comes to the game itself. I love the way you are so loyal to our twos and encourage at every opportunity to get Crowe in the seniors. Stick with North Tashi and you are sure of an enjoyable (sometimes scary ride) ; but certainly never dull. Val

Tashi (and others), I know it might come across as a very thinly veiled plug for a website ;) but there is a very approriate place to tell your story *cough* tell it here *cough*.

Originally posted by a4brianp
i have tried to switch himto the swans only to be told swans stink.

He he he ... love it! :) The little fellas got his head screwed on right, that's for sure! Not sure about his grandfather though.... ;)

My nine year old daughter has been going to the footy since she was 3 months old. Has been to Sydney, brisbane and Adelaide to watch the boys. Seen 2 Day and 2 Night premierships. Just loves everything that is blue and white. Because she does not realise the real reason for the Kings departure has defended him to the hilt at school. Long Live the North Melbourne Football Cub we say.We have even recruited one of her friends this year.

Yeah Briedis im a bit worried about him nearly 4 and doesnt drink beer yet must be the bad upbringing and all the kangaroo supporters around him

Cheeers

I've been taking my 7 year old since she was 4 and my nephew since he was 6 (now 9). I'll share with you, the steps into brain-washing the youngsters and to upset a bummer mad brother-in-law at the same time.

1. In the early days, all you needed were colouring books & pencils, and face painting at the ground.

2. Bring along a friend - perhaps your cousin (who's father is a mad bummer fan) who is starting to take an interest and play Auskick etc.. His father doesn't buy an Essendon membership, and is now finding it difficult to explain to friends how his only son is a mad Roo fan, and has his name on the statues outside Arden St.
Every year for Christmas, he gets a North membership for the following year, on birthdays - he gets some type of merchandise.

3. Flags are a must - but you need two if there are two kids, as one will always end in tears.

4. Always ensure the Gameboys aren't too far away in case of an emergency.

Your right Val, it does cost an absolute fortune, but at the end of the day, the kids take an interest in the team, and you know when the brain-washing is working, when they tell you what number they want on their jumpers and not the number I want them to have..

Remove this Banner Ad

young roo followers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back