Your Album of 2007.... so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Whoah this is a tough one, I cant pick one but I have narrowed it down to a few.
Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future
Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City
Interpol - Our Love To Admire
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

Other notables:
Cold War Kids - Robbers & Cowards
The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
The White Stripes - Icky Thump

Prediction:
Young And Restless - Young And Restless
They absolutely rock and only just released this album. I dont think theyll go mainstream which is good but theyll be massive in the Triple J world. I hope anyway

Modest Mouse aren't really doing it for me anymore, The Moon and Antarctica = the bees knees, but this is just meh. Think I might say LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver, just pipping Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? and Neon Bible not far behind.
Time to reevaluate. It's just past half way through the year.

I have waned on LCD Soundsystem, and Modest Mouse has grown on me.

So my top 3 are in no particular order;
Arcade Fire - Neon Ballroom
Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?
The White Stripes - Icky Thump

I would like to put a special mention in for a band I start listening to only a few weeks ago; Аукцыон. They are a Russian rock band. Really, really good music. Also Menomena deserves some tribute to, as does Asobi Seksu.

Meh. Give it a few listens. It's grown massively on me since first listening to it.

Or do you require an album has few blast beats to wake you up? ;)

(Mind you the album does have a song named 'Anethsetize'. Maybe it worked too literally on you!)

I've listened to alot of their stuff, including the new record. Have tried extremely hard to like it. It's extremely well played and crafted music, without a doubt. It's just that I like progressive music that goes BOOM! It needs energy and vibe as far as I'm concerned (that's why I like Dream Theater), and this is lacking in PT completely, to my ear. Their stuff just drones on at half rat-pace, never really going anywhere. A band like DT makes them sound anesthetized!!!

I've listened to alot of their stuff, including the new record. Have tried extremely hard to like it. It's extremely well played and crafted music, without a doubt. It's just that I like progressive music that goes BOOM! It needs energy and vibe as far as I'm concerned (that's why I like Dream Theater), and this is lacking in PT completely, to my ear. Their stuff just drones on at half rat-pace, never really going anywhere. A band like DT makes them sound anesthetized!!!

Yeah see I've gone past DT. No doubt I love them aswell and went through a huge stage of listening to them ad-neaseum. I have everyone of their albums but they almost became 'predictable' (if you can even imagine that). I guess it came mostly with Portnoy's drumming and Petrucci's gtr licks. That being said, they are still awesome and up towards the top of my all time favourite bands.

You're right in saying that some of the older stuff is a bit of the Floyd-esque soundscapes and psychadelic rock can be a bit of a snorefest for those who don't like that kind of stuff, but anything from In Absentia is just awesome (IMO).

And generally with more recent PT, it just oozes taste and Steven Wilson is just the ultimate perfectionist, he layers and engineers the sound to just hit my buttons.

That being said, I'll probably get over PT and go back to more conventional Prog like DT and cycle back again. But for now, it's all PT.

FWIW, I reckon the more BOOM tracks for PT are stuff like Blackest Eyes, Futile, The Start of Something Beautiful, Orchida, Mother and Child Divided and funnily enough Anethsetize. Give them a listen again if you have the chance. And cos I know you're a drummer (or like good drumming), listen closely to Gavin Harrison. He's a genius.

Fair enough, man. I certainly respect them, still. You'd be stupid not to. They just don't have that 'wow' factor for me.

Think of me next Tuesday night (Wed our time) and be very jealous, as I sit in the San Diego Open Air Theater and be blown away by DT, the night after being sent to Prog heaven with Rush at the Hollywood Bowl!!!!:):thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Music of the highest order.

Little Stevie Wilson is a frustrating chap. So many great ideas that just aren't _quite_ there. Anesthetize is the chief example of this. Lots of different parts, many of them good, but nothing amazing. It's well-crafted, but it never takes off. Not a bad album, and considering the lack of anything really amazing this year, I can totally understand why you'd pick it. But nothing on it is as good as 'Trains' or 'Gravity Eyelids'.

Fair enough, man. I certainly respect them, still. You'd be stupid not to. They just don't have that 'wow' factor for me.

Think of me next Tuesday night (Wed our time) and be very jealous, as I sit in the San Diego Open Air Theater and be blown away by DT, the night after being sent to Prog heaven with Rush at the Hollywood Bowl!!!!:):thumbsu:

LUCKY BASTARD! :D <- Green with envy

I want a full report.

Id have to agree with most

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible is my absolute fav from 2007
followed closely by the Birds of Tokyo debut Day One

with honourable mentions to The Shins & Interpol

Done!

BTW, are you named after the band?

(or the cheesey 80s Tom Selleck show?:D)

NFI, dunno how I chose my internet pseudo-name. It's not from the Band. Had it for years and started using it in online games like 10+ years ago. I guess it's stuck.

It must be a combination of the .44 pistol, the 80's show, the chocolate ice cream and a large bottle of whiskey? I'll have to check out the band now :)

Its only 3 months down and theres already been some crackers
For me:
1. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
2. The Good the Bad and the Queen

As for the biggest let down:

Bloc Party - Weekend in the City.... i'm still devestated this turned out to be such a dud. I had VERY high hopes :thumbsdown:

Time for my update

1. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
2. Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
3. The National - Boxer

Still have Bloc Party as my let down of the year

Expecting big things from Radiohead and R.E.M. later in the year

I was actually loosening a little on Bloc Party...until this morning, when I saw the video clip for Hunting For Witches.

The best song on the album and they rape it by just playing their instruments in a circle. Obviously spent too much money on the crap videos of The Prayer and I Still Remember...Witches deserved more.

They suck.

Radiohead straight to number 1.
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible 2nd
The National - Boxer moves up to 3rd
Brighteyes - Cassadaga 4th

*revised again* :p

1.Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
2.The Shins - Wincing the night away
3.Radiohead - In Rainbows
4.Arcade fire - Neon Bible
5.Menomona - friend and foe
6.Spoon - ga ga ga ga ga