Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

We outscored the next best team last season by more than 3 goals!

The only player we have lost from last season up forward is the inconsistent Cameron, whom we do have replacements for who are not too different in output.

There is no good reason why our forward line will perform significantly worse & thinking most of our core players will suddenly decline is just pessimism without good reason imo.
Respectfully disagree

Significant holes started to open up in big games

Then factor in age profile , injuries and the loss of one of the most effective pressure forwards

Scoring more than other sides isn't just just the effectiveness of the forward line , it has to do with creating turnovers in front half of the ground which we were very effective at and also ball movement or ' transition' from defence to offence which we were very good at

My analysis is also looking forward rather than back , only time will tell

Respectfully disagree

Significant holes started to open up in big games

Then factor in age profile , injuries and the loss of one of the most effective pressure forwards

Scoring more than other sides isn't just just the effectiveness of the forward line , it has to do with creating turnovers in front half of the ground which we were very effective at and also ball movement or ' transition' from defence to offence which we were very good at

My analysis is also looking forward rather than back , only time will tell
There was a common theme to when our forward line struggled - we lost the midfield. We have added Gibbs & will get growth from others, which should make this less of an issue this year.

We still have potent goal kicking options & as long as we don't make the mistake again of having too many immobile players, I'm confident we will have no issues with our forward line.

There was a common theme to when our forward line struggled - we lost the midfield. We have added Gibbs & will get growth from others, which should make this less of an issue this year.

We still have potent goal kicking options & as long as we don't make the mistake again of having too many immobile players, I'm confident we will have no issues with our forward line.

I think it’s fair to say if Betts and tex struggle so will our forward line unless someone steps up jeffcrow also thinks lynch has peaked

I think himmelberg and Dear are a fair way away from making a mark if at all

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it’s fair to say if Betts and tex struggle so will our forward line unless someone steps up jeffcrow also thinks lynch has peaked

I think himmelberg and Dear are a fair way away from making a mark if at all

That's a lot of "ifs", which are based on.pessimism, rather than any real evidence.

50:50 that we've learned from that mistake. I'll be quite surprised if we look past Otto if Gov goes down. Replacing either tex or JJ with Otto isn't as problematic, still lacking vision and a desire to take a risk and hopefully improve, but it at least doesn't torpedo our ability to provide some defensive pressure out of our forward 50.

That's a lot of "ifs", which are based on.pessimism, rather than any real evidence.

I’m worried about Betts he did show signs of a decline in the second half of the season tex I think has another good season in him and lynch puts in a big effort weekly and is getting older so agree he has peaked

Agree with most of what you said but the worrying thing is tex and Betts they are absolute superstars of the comp how hard will they be too replace

Unproven players are

Keath
Hampton
Doedee
Galluci
Milera
Murphy

Will any of them make 150 games it’s too early to call

Milera will quite easily .....the players you've missed are Himmelberg & Fogarty

Betts is the hardest player to replace .....simply because he makes things happen from a half chance, and that's a rarity

Milera will quite easily .....the players you've missed are Himmelberg & Fogarty

Betts is the hardest player to replace .....simply because he makes things happen from a half chance, and that's a rarity

I’d like to think Milera can make it but he hasn’t yet and I know it’s early days

50:50 that we've learned from that mistake. I'll be quite surprised if we look past Otto if Gov goes down. Replacing either tex or JJ with Otto isn't as problematic, still lacking vision and a desire to take a risk and hopefully improve, but it at least doesn't torpedo our ability to provide some defensive pressure out of our forward 50.
Hoping rather than expecting Keath to leapfrog Otten as a potential forward

I fear Tex's career may end quicker than we think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Maybe his peak effectiveness but a foot injury can be managed for a few more seasons yet. Does look destined to be retiring around 32 though.

Yeah exactly, our forwards struggled when our midfield struggled. I think one issue with our forward line is that they look like they’ve become too reliant on “the system”, or have become too focused on playing too the system and have lost their natural flair/ability to impact a game.

The addition of Gibbs will certainly help, every loss we had last year, we were generally incapable of getting our running game going from half back/through the midfield and thus the forward line struggled. The Collingwood game was the one game where we saw our side being down, yet a player (Gov) being able to stand out and cause issues for the opposition. We need to seek to do more of this, whether it’s isolating one of the guys long, or what?

Essentially we need to find that plan B that is more than just “trying harder”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah exactly, our forwards struggled when our midfield struggled. I think one issue with our forward line is that they look like they’ve become too reliant on “the system”, or have become too focused on playing too the system and have lost their natural flair/ability to impact a game.

The addition of Gibbs will certainly help, every loss we had last year, we were generally incapable of getting our running game going from half back/through the midfield and thus the forward line struggled. The Collingwood game was the one game where we saw our side being down, yet a player (Gov) being able to stand out and cause issues for the opposition. We need to seek to do more of this, whether it’s isolating one of the guys long, or what?

We also had some games where we dominated midfield but the forward line struggled eg Geelong at home in minor round , think this will be even more common this year unless we can improve our aerial contests , ground ball and pressure on the opposition

I'd say it's over reliant on system and perfect entry vs actually winning 50-50 contests and ground balls

Our F50 groundball stats back this up , we gotta learn how to scrap when we not getting it on our own terms up there

We also had some games where we dominated midfield but the forward line struggled eg Geelong at home in minor round , think this will be even more common this year unless we can improve our aerial contests , ground ball and pressure on the opposition

improving our aerial contests is they key for me

I recall that last year Tex and JJ had a month of footy where they both played an aggressive and physical style of footy and we looked almost untouchable however when they both start to drop their level of physicality we look vulnerable......

We need all our big men playing aggressive and physical footy if we are going to have any change of redemption

improving our aerial contests is they key for me

I recall that last year Tex and JJ had a month of footy where they both played an aggressive and physical style of footy and we looked almost untouchable however when they both start to drop their level of physicality we look vulnerable......

We need all our big men playing aggressive and physical footy if we are going to have any change of redemption
This is where I'm seeing Gov as the key and Keath as a real smoky

If I was JJ I'd be starting the season very well

From memory, and happy to be corrected, even when we get beaten in the midfield it's a quality issue for our entries forward, not a quantity issue. Our forwards are then so inept at making a contest from a pressured ball hacked forward that no pressure is applied to the exit and our mids then struggle to regain possession or apply pressure themselves between the arcs. Which makes it very difficult for our defensive group. Our forward line as a group is a downhill skiier.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how the new players turn out in the JLT games. This is probably the one year that a lot of new guys/young untried guys will get a sniff of the AFL experience, and knowing that there is a damn good chance they can stick their position if they play well in these trials. So many spots up for grabs for round 1!

I'm just looking forward to seeing how the new players turn out in the JLT games. This is probably the one year that a lot of new guys/young untried guys will get a sniff of the AFL experience, and knowing that there is a damn good chance they can stick their position if they play well in these trials. So many spots up for grabs for round 1!

I wouldn't rule out Mackay getting a crack as an elite paced, hard tackling defensive forward when push comes to shove.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back