Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching yesterdays game there is already a few players that must be ruled out from playing this season.
Otten and Mackay just shouldnt be anywhere near our best 22. Otten is too slow and makes too many errors. Mackay is mackay. Not good enough. We have better options in both positions.
Keath takes ottens spot as 3rd tall defender. He is a massive upgrade on otten and will only get better. His left foot is good and will be a valuable weapon clearing the defensive 50. His speed makes him a good matchup for most forwards.
I feel like cheney, kelly and doedee are fighting for 2 spots maybe even 1. Cheney looked good but we need to get games into doedee. He will be a very good player.
Harry dear is an upgrade on josh jenkins. Dear will crash a pack and is a competitor. Jenkins may aswell have stayed at home yesterday. His inability to impact the game in any way is a problem. Unless jj gets injured i dont think dear will play. If walker is injured rd 1 play dear.

Otten should only play AFL if all our falls are injured.

He still has a role at the club with the SANFL team. I would make him captain.
McKay his VC.

Would love for Dear to play some games this year. He and Gov are great contested marks of the ball. Dear is also quite athletic and a natural footballer. The spot between he and Jenkins should get interesting this year. If Jenkins gold card status is confirmed Dear should be looking at moving to another club at the end of this season.

Strong contested players like Dear and Gov in our forward line go a long way to fixing the issue Dermie was banging on about and Richmond exploited in the GF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

So have rewatched yesterday’s game, thought I’d put some thoughts in on where we’re heading with the round 1 side.
Murphy - Very impressive, liking him for Cameron’s spot, is tough, tenacious and dangerous around goals. Ahead of Gallucci now.
Hampton - really liked his endevour and work around the ground, needs to relax a little with some of his disposa, but every time I watch him he looks like he belongs at the level. At present, I’d have him in Knight’s position as that 7th forward come midfielder/winger.
Didn’t see much of Doedee at the game, but re-watching he was very good. He’s in for Lever for me, will improve with Hartigan/Talia holding down key spots.
Dear - based off today is a far better option than Jenkins. Now I understand it’s scratch match, but you’d think after his performances last year he’d have a point to prove. Dear, as whenever I see him play, looks the part, he just needs to do more of it.
Keath - don’t hang him out to dry yet, Hartigan has some pretty pathetic efforts early in his career. Did some nice things, but is probably less of your #1 shit down guy. Would like to see him given time up forward again, because with Jenkins current form, there may be a spot very soon.
Wasn’t a game for the running half back, so difficult to assess Smiths position, although I suspect we might be rotating a few guys through there.

After watching yesterdays game there is already a few players that must be ruled out from playing this season.
Otten and Mackay just shouldnt be anywhere near our best 22. Otten is too slow and makes too many errors. Mackay is mackay. Not good enough. We have better options in both positions.
Keath takes ottens spot as 3rd tall defender. He is a massive upgrade on otten and will only get better. His left foot is good and will be a valuable weapon clearing the defensive 50. His speed makes him a good matchup for most forwards.
I feel like cheney, kelly and doedee are fighting for 2 spots maybe even 1. Cheney looked good but we need to get games into doedee. He will be a very good player.
Harry dear is an upgrade on josh jenkins. Dear will crash a pack and is a competitor. Jenkins may aswell have stayed at home yesterday. His inability to impact the game in any way is a problem. Unless jj gets injured i dont think dear will play. If walker is injured rd 1 play dear.
Jenkins attitude is worrying. Seems to play as though he has his contract and he will only do it on his terms. Needs to be dropped and moved on to another club end of year.

Jenkins attitude is worrying. Seems to play as though he has his contract and he will only do it on his terms. Needs to be dropped and moved on to another club end of year.

I agree

JJ is playing like a man with the security of a long term contract, opportunity for Pykey to drop a big name heading into round 1 and send a message performance is King

Needs to be dropped to start off with and then see if he can respond. Last years “dropping” was symbolic and rushing him back after an “okay” game for an AFL key forward in the SANFL was a big mistake.

I think he’s the kind of guy that does get a bit complacent or perhaps comfortable and needs the odd reminder that he needs to perform for his spot. There’s an ego there, I suspect he’ll pull his finger out pretty quickly after a few weeks touring Noarlunga, Alberton and Elizabeth...

I agree

JJ is playing like a man with the security of a long term contract, opportunity for Pykey to drop a big name heading into round 1 and send a message performance is King

Exactly, and it’s not just about Jenkins, it also gives the guys stuck in the 2’s some incentive to put pressure on. If Jenkins keeps getting given a gold card, what incentive is there for Dear, Keath, Himmelberg etc to challenge for a spot.

Whilst I like that we have a settled side, I think that’s important, we’ve gone a little too far with it, where there’s no threat to the incumbents and no incentive for those in the 2’s.

Exactly, and it’s not just about Jenkins, it also gives the guys stuck in the 2’s some incentive to put pressure on. If Jenkins keeps getting given a gold card, what incentive is there for Dear, Keath, Himmelberg etc to challenge for a spot.

Whilst I like that we have a settled side, I think that’s important, we’ve gone a little too far with it, where there’s no threat to the incumbents and no incentive for those in the 2’s.

I agree however this an adjustment Pyke needs to make to k=his coaching philosophies, he is big on keeping continuity with a core group however form still needs to be the key criteria for selection

I think a few of you may need a reality check regarding the Dear v Jenkins debate. At present, there is no debate.

IMG_0235.jpg

Let's see if Dear can start consistently dominating at SANFL level first before we start talking about him replacing the incumbent 45-50 goal a season player we have at full forward. Despite his flaws, Jenkins would kick 100 if he played a full season in the SANFL.

I think a few of you may need a reality check regarding the Dear v Jenkins debate. At present, there is no debate. Let's see if Dear can start consistently dominating at SANFL level first before we start talking about him replacing the incumbent 45-50 goal a season player we have at full forward. Despite his flaws, Jenkins would kick 100 if he played a full season in the SANFL.
Couldn't disagree more with both of these points.

(1) I don't think dominating at SANFL is what we need, I'd rather Dear did some learning at AFL level. It's COMPLETELY different style and level.

(2) Jenkins might actually kick fewer goals in the SANFL than the AFL. He doesn't make his own goals.

Updated Round 1 hopeful 22 after JLT, and some discussions :)

B Jake Kelly, Daniel Talia, Luke Brown
HB Rory Laird, Kyle Hartigan, Tom Doedee
C Paul Seedsman, Brad Crouch, Rory Atkins
HF Rory Sloane, Taylor Walker, Tom Lynch
F Harry Dear, Mitch McGovern, Eddie Betts
FOL Sam Jacobs, Matt Crouch, Bryce Gibbs
I/C Sam Gibson, Curtly Hampton, Richard Douglas, Lachlan Murphy

Assuming Greenwood and Knight are not available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depending on what we and Brisbane finish I'd say a nice little first round pick swap + JJ might get us into the Izzy Rankine Stakes... Obviously we are a long way from that, but any scenario in which we end up with Izzy and i'll be pretty stoked. If a player like him goes to a Vic based team, he's never coming back to SA

Couldn't disagree more with both of these points.

(1) I don't think dominating at SANFL is what we need, I'd rather Dear did some learning at AFL level. It's COMPLETELY different style and level.

(2) Jenkins might actually kick fewer goals in the SANFL than the AFL. He doesn't make his own goals.

Jenkins certainly has a few weaknesses to his game, but at this stage of his development Dear has far more. I'm not even convinced he's a better contested mark than Jenkins, which is the main grievance people have of his game.

Jenkins has had 2 ok to good finals and 5 average to poor ones in the last 3 years. It's a big problem and we need better from him. It's all well and good to pine for a replacement for Jenkins but at present we simply don't have anyone in the reserves putting sufficient pressure on him, let alone demonstrating that they're clearly superior players.

Hopefully that changes over the course of the season, but while he has potential, for me at this point in time Dear for Jenkins does not improve our chances of winning games, or winning a flag in 2018.

We are not in a position to be carrying players to assist with their learning. They need to perform and if they're outside the best 22, perform better than the players they are seeking to replace.

Last edited:
Jenkins certainly has a few weaknesses to his game, but at this stage of his development Dear has far more. I'm not even convinced he's a better contested mark than Jenkins, which is the main grievance people have of his game.

Jenkins has had 2 ok to good finals and 5 average to poor ones in the last 3 years. It's a big problem and we need better from him. It's all well and good to pine for a replacement for Jenkins but at present we simply don't have anyone in the reserves putting sufficient pressure on him, let alone demonstrating that they're clearly superior players.

Hopefully that changes over the course of the season, but while he has potential, for me at this point in time Dear for Jenkins does not improve our chances of winning games, or winning a flag in 2018.
The fact Dear has something to prove could fast track his development if he started to play at the level. Athletically Dear may be even better then Jenkins as he looks like he runs better and looks moire agile then JJ. Contested marking wise I think they both have room to improve but in Dear's defence he's only 21 years old whereas Jenkins is 29 and thus has less scope to improve that aspect of his game in the limited games he has left at AFL level (I dont see him playing much past 33 years of age). JJ should be in the peak of his career as a key forward and yet hes still struggling to make an impact on the games when the ball isnt coming in lace out to him or going over the back so he can get those cheap goals he loves. Although Dear isnt perfect, the fact that we have a bloke at 200 cm who moves that well, looks really competitive when the ball is up for grabs and still has plenty of scope to improve I think he should be adjudged on the same playing field as a key forward like Jenkins who has runs on the board but looks to have come complacent as he thinks hes a lock for the AFL side. I think Jenkins is in for round 1 but if plays like he did in that JLT game I would think that the Dear option might be pounced on by Pyke.

I think a few of you may need a reality check regarding the Dear v Jenkins debate. At present, there is no debate.

View attachment 463657

Let's see if Dear can start consistently dominating at SANFL level first before we start talking about him replacing the incumbent 45-50 goal a season player we have at full forward. Despite his flaws, Jenkins would kick 100 if he played a full season in the SANFL.

At this stage I expect Jenkins to be in the side come round 1. However, based on yesterday, Dear gave a lot more, not that that was hard. Dear still needs to find a way to get involved more consistently.

At present there’s a lot of questions to be asked of Josh and he’s yet to show any inclination of answering them positively. It may be that dropping Josh in FA our of Harry, gives Josh the incentive to pull the finger out, whilst also giving Harry a taste of what he’s working towards.

At this stage I expect Jenkins to be in the side come round 1. However, based on yesterday, Dear gave a lot more, not that that was hard. Dear still needs to find a way to get involved more consistently.

At present there’s a lot of questions to be asked of Josh and he’s yet to show any inclination of answering them positively. It may be that dropping Josh in FA our of Harry, gives Josh the incentive to pull the finger out, whilst also giving Harry a taste of what he’s working towards.
I wouldn't say Dear gave a lot more. That mark & goal in the first quarter were good, but after that his impact was minimal. He finished with 7 disposals and 1 goal, which isn't a lot from 72% TOG.

JJ was completely useless, and gave us nothing whatsoever, so by definition Dear did give more - but it really wasn't a "lot" more.

View attachment 463657

Jenkins wouldn’t even get close to kicking 100 goals in the sanfl because he doesn’t generate his own goals.

He can’t feed off of a quality system with quality players, so would break down. He’d be lucky to kick 40 goals in the rough and tough nature of the SANFL.

for me at this point in time Dear for Jenkins does not improve our chances of winning games, or winning a flag in 2018.

No one actually knows if this is true though, and how can you unless action is taken?

Jenkins by all means can have first crack, but if he doesn’t perform I want him dropped, it’s that simple. He’s a senior player that’s too comfortable with his massive contract and doesn’t contribute enough because it all gets handed to him. He’s in this false state of mind that doesn’t look like changing anytime soon.

I absolutely ****ing hate this argument that “ohhh no, we can’t play young guys. They’re OBVIOUSLY crap in comparison to our lovely senior players, and if we play them we will lose” etc etc.

One inexperienced full forward is not going to bring the whole team down! We have seen time and time again at this club what happens on game day when we have 22 players PLAY THEIR role, we ****ing kill it and make mince meat of the opposition.

We can continue to go down the exact same path we have every year and get a hard on for JJs 50 goal season, only to watch him fail miserably in finals. Or we can start to look at other options, in preparation for mounting a successful finals campaign, with 22 players on the park who are going to deliver, and not 5 like last year.

Not one single person is saying that Dear is better than Jenkins. Dear (if he continues to develop) among others, just has the potential to offer a lot more than a Josh Jenkins who looks like he will continue to just expect things will happen for him, rather than make them happen.

If we don’t act now, then when? It will be too late otherwise.

Depending on what we and Brisbane finish I'd say a nice little first round pick swap + JJ might get us into the Izzy Rankine Stakes... Obviously we are a long way from that, but any scenario in which we end up with Izzy and i'll be pretty stoked. If a player like him goes to a Vic based team, he's never coming back to SA

I highly doubt a 30 year old Jenkins is going to be of any use to a team like Brisbane. Yes they recruited Hodge, but what’s JJ going to teach them? How do bang it into row Z from the goal square and how to walk a cat? Yeah, sweet....

Jenkins would probably be of more use to a team like GWS/Sydney, or maybe even Collingwood if they wanted to go for one last final big push in a “this is our year v5.0” before Buckley is finally given the axe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back