Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

But we don’t need a KPF to play like a crumber, if that was his role then we would play a crumber who offers defensive pressure.

We need him to play like a KPF, we have too many KPFs in our side and are too slow up there. If he can’t even take a mark inside forward 50 or create opportunities for the smaller guys he’s a waste of space and hurts our overall structure.
This has been my argument over JJ ... what is his purpose?

If it's mobility, we have more mobile players in the squad.
If it's speed, we have faster players in the squad.
If it's second ruck, you need a lie down.
If it's getting on the end of plays and kicking goals in the goal square, he has that market covered.

If JJ is in the 22 because he is 100kg and relatively mobile and has relatively good endurance for a guy his size ... I don't get it.

The only way that works is if he exploits the fact he has size and those other attributes ... like say a Roughead does for the Hawks.

If we are supposed to ignore the fact he is a big bloke when assessing him, he really doesn't offer much at all.

I really don’t get the Jenkins obsession that some on here have. He’s a terrible key forward and is hindering the development of a genuine kpp such as Himmelberg or Dear.
How is JJ hindering Himmelberg or Dear as neither are ready?

If they were, then you would have a point...

If it's getting on the end of plays and kicking goals in the goal square, he has that market covered.

If JJ is in the 22 because he is 100kg and relatively mobile and has relatively good endurance for a guy his size ... I don't get it.

The only way that works is if he exploits the fact he has size and those other attributes ... like say a Roughead does for the Hawks.

If we are supposed to ignore the fact he is a big bloke when assessing him, he really doesn't offer much at all.
Who are the faster players we have in the squad?

How is JJ hindering Himmelberg or Dear as neither are ready?

If they were, then you would have a point...

How do you know they are not ready if we don't give them a crack. Dear will be 22 this year and Himmelberg 20. "He's not ready" - Gunston circa 2011.

We need to cut our losses and move on from Jenkins - try something else.

How do you know they are not ready if we don't give them a crack. Dear will be 22 this year and Himmelberg 20. "He's not ready" - Gunston circa 2011.

Their sanfl form last year says they are not ready.

Neither are kicking regular bags of goals in the sanfl... meanwhile JJ averages more goals then either playing at a higher level.

Would like to see Himmelberg play this year, but needs to be when he is in good form.

Shouldn't just bring in younger players with our good form behind them.

Round 1 side at present, although I must say the side is very up in the air at the moment, very unsettled which doesn’t bode well for the start of the season. Assuming B.Crouch, Walker and Knight unavailable.

AFL:
B: Brown - Talia - Kelly
HB: Doedee - Hartigan - Laird
C: Atkins - M.Crouch - Gibson
HF: Lynch - Jenkins - Hampton
F: Betts - McGovern - Fogarty
R: Jacobs - Gibbs - Sloane
I: Greenwood - Douglas - Murphy - Seedsman
E: CEY - Keath - Mackay

The final 2 bench spots were a toss up between the 2 selected and CEY and Mackay really. Felt Murphy offered more of that frontal pressure that we lack, Seedsman I felt has greater upside and offering slightly more than Mackay at present. Greenwood also kind of pushed CEY out. Unfortunately no ones put their hand up for Smith’s role, so I’d go with essentially mids rotating through, not ideal, but hopefully Milera might get some form up and play the role.

This was realistically the year we wanted the full 3 JLT games, too many questions still unanswered apart from probably Doedee taking Levers spot.

At present both Jenkins and Hartigan need to pull th finger out big time, I could quite easily be convinced to play CEY instead of Jenkins as a medium forward come 2nd ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But we don’t need a KPF to play like a crumber, if that was his role then we would play a crumber who offers defensive pressure.

We need him to play like a KPF, we have too many KPFs in our side and are too slow up there. If he can’t even take a mark inside forward 50 or create opportunities for the smaller guys he’s a waste of space and hurts our overall structure.
But JJ isn't a crumber either. Some people insist we need to judge his performances, for better or worse, within the context of the small forward role but he doesn't play like that. Crumbers are quick, agile, elusive, good with the ball below knee height, and above all creative in confined spaces. JJ isn't any of those things, what makes him unique is his ability to cover long distances very fast, which allows him to lead similarly sized opponents up the field and then leave them behind on a counter-attack. It's a nice talent to have but it only works in games where there is plenty of space to work with, which doesn't allows happen, particularly in finals. That's why we need him to use his size and strength as well so that he can have an impact regardless of how the game is being played on any given day.

Can he perform at the elite level - looks like we will never know. Same as Himmelberg.

You actually need to perform week to week at SANFL level first.

Himmelberg is a skinny kid. Will get a crack at some point for sure - when he performs week to week in the SANFL, which I think he will.

Who are the faster players we have in the squad?
Dear is faster. (and similar size but he actually likes the contest)

Gallucci is faster
Murphy is faster.
Milera is faster.
Hampton is faster.
Fogarty is faster.
etc...

... but you are missing my point.

We have plenty of faster players, but everyone will say "They can't play JJ's role" - when I am still trying to work out exactly what JJ's role is?

Because their SANFL form is a precursor to how they are going to do at AFL level? It's not rocket science.

You'll get a small upswing from SANFL to AFL in performance as the structures and quality of players are better around the new player, however, if someone performing at an average level in SANFL, they aren't going to do a whole lot in AFL. It is also pretty dependant on tools as well, however, I would say in this case that both have shown enough in that regard to be considered interesting prospects.

Right now, neither Dear, nor Himmelburg have even come close to knocking the door down, and until they start to, they aren't worth the time to give them games.

Their sanfl form last year says they are not ready.

Neither are kicking regular bags of goals in the sanfl... meanwhile JJ averages more goals then either playing at a higher level.

Would like to see Himmelberg play this year, but needs to be when he is in good form.

Shouldn't just bring in younger players with our good form behind them.

Dear kicks 35 goals in his first year then goes back where he was nowhere near as effective (obviously). Didn't look out of place at AFL level though when he has played, and against other AFL standard opponents.

Never know if you don't go and yada yada...

Dear is faster. (and similar size but he actually likes the contest)

Gallucci is faster
Murphy is faster.
Milera is faster.
Hampton is faster.
Fogarty is faster.
etc...

... but you are missing my point.

We have plenty of faster players, but everyone will say "They can't play JJ's role" - when I am still trying to work out exactly what JJ's role is?
Dear, Fogarty....yeah sure

Pre-contract extension, JJ worth was that he was cheap. You can say that getting 50+ goals per season is damn good value when you only pay someone up-to 350k, no matter how many flaws in the game they have. The issue is now, the player who main worth to the side was that he was cheap is now paid a premium wage; just offering 50+ goals a season due to excelling through structure isn't good enough at 525k+. You need more to your game to justify it at that point, and JJ doesn't have that.

Right now, his purpose is to act as foil to Tex, try to stretch/expose a weaker defender, and occasionally get off the chain. Unfortunately it comes down to either a) we try to get as much value out of a dud contract as we can, or b) have a good portion of our cap rotting in the reserves. It's a ****-up either way.

Round 1 side at present, although I must say the side is very up in the air at the moment, very unsettled which doesn’t bode well for the start of the season. Assuming B.Crouch, Walker and Knight unavailable.

AFL:
B: Brown - Talia - Kelly
HB: Doedee - Hartigan - Laird
C: Atkins - M.Crouch - Gibson
HF: Lynch - Jenkins - Hampton
F: Betts - McGovern - Fogarty
R: Jacobs - Gibbs - Sloane
I: Greenwood - Douglas - Murphy - Seedsman
E: CEY - Keath - Mackay

I agree with all except one - despite not being much of a Mackay fan, I’d prefer him in this side over Gibson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back