your BEST Beatles album

Remove this Banner Ad

PieInTheSky

Debutant
Sep 20, 2004
Other Teams
Collingwood Magpies !!!
this may be the hardest thread i'v ever started.... but i'm sure most of you beatles fans out there, deep down, have a favourite Beatles album (or two :p)

Mine - Revolver

Talk to me my Beatles friends........

sorry for posting twice there guys.. my computer crashed and i thought it didnt work
My best albums still Revolver though...

absolutely love the beatles and most of their work. i am, however, of the opinion that the beatles, for all the great songs they wrote, didn't release an actual "great" album.
for sheer weight of numbers, i suppose it would have to be the white album.
their most consistent album would have to be abbey road. although this album doesn't contain any songs that are amongst my absolute favourites, it doesn't contain any mc'cartney dribble that makes me cringe. and wasn't harrison in fine form on this one. something and here comes the sun are worthy songs indeed.
fwiw, if strawberry fields and penny lane were included on pepper, as they should've been, the contest would be over.

Yup, i couldnt agree more about not having a 'great album'. But they had 12 or so very very good albums. I find abbey road to be the most flowing, but Revolver is just one great song after another. White album is awesome, probably second best for me.
... 'the continuing story of bungalow bill'

Let it Be in front of The White Album for me. Like others have mentioned, I don't think the Beatles have any true great albums like the Stones, Floyd, and Led Zeppelin have. Sgt Pepper was great at the time, maybe even the greatest, but much of the music doesn't last. The hippy era was very short lived.

Beatles For Sale was ok for their early stuff... I actually like Yellow Submarine and side 2 gets played more than side 1..just to lose myself in the orchestral music.

I agree that I dont think there is a ''best'' as it was all of an even level IMO but if forced sheer weight of variation makes ''the white album '' my choice

I think that the White album was their greatest musically. Sergeant Pepper was outstanding because it was a revolutionary new sound and a new way of making albums. Abbey Road was very tight. Anything before Sergeant Pepper was teenybopper trash imo.

PieInTheSky said:
It's just a best of, that came out in 2000. Its 27 songs that made it to number one on the charts
I think we're talking studio albums here.

I do remember than one now come to think of it. Was tempted to buy it at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Revolver. Thats when they were at their peak as a 'band', tight, great harmonies and they would've been killer live. As much as I love Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour and so on, I rather the more 'live' band feel than the studio band they became.

ToneDeaf said:
As much as I love Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour and so on, I rather the more 'live' band feel than the studio band they became.
MMT is almost complete crap. Walrus is brilliant, the title song good, but then the standard drops drastically. Quite sure the album and movie were the first things the Beatles did that were a bit of a dive sales wise.

Revolver for mine.

That was the album that signalled their intention and focus on pushing the conventional boundaries (for that time) of production, experimentation and not worrying about notions of genre etc. But none of this was at the expense of this band's undoubted strength: their amazing songwriting. It was sophisticated yet also challenging by comparison of much of what was considered "pop". I would kill to be able to go back in time and be amongst during that era.

Sure, they really took all of the aformentioned to more extreme levels with some of their subsequent releases, but this was the start of it IMO.

Revolver or Rubber Soul, depending on my mood.

An underrated classic is Beatles For Sale.

The old reliable Sgt Peppers always rates highly for me.

The White album is overrated, self -indulgent, pretentious crap. It should never have been a double album, even as a single album it barely cuts the mustard.

Very difficult to split Revolver, Abbey Road and the White album. I like Sgt Pepper, but song for song it's not a patch on any of those.

Remove this Banner Ad

your BEST Beatles album

Remove this Banner Ad

Back