the_big_sav

Premiership Player
May 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
whats your career highlight playing cricket?

mine is taking the match winning catch in a semi final

what happened was it was U14's and we were playin the only other team that was good including us (both teams only lost once each and that was to each other, they beat us by like 10 runs but when they passed us they were 8or 9 down and when we beat them we were 5-6 down but only had a few overs to go) any way so it was a top of the table clash and we had scored 152 all out with bout 10-15 made in the last wicket partnership (i only made about 8)

then i comes down to 9/149 and one of the not out batsmen is on 58* and our opening bowler bowls it down leg side the guy clips it down to fine leg where our other opening bowler had to run and dive to save it from a 4 to a 2 (he was the only guy who would of stopped it).

9/151 next ball, RANK full toss the guy now on 60* trys to smash it and miss times it. now all day i had been at square leg and when i went forward it would go backward and when i went backward it would go forward of square so i wasnt having the best fielding day.

it goes up and i run from square to about midwicket with a sliding/diving catch and we win and go into the grand final by 1 run. The best bit of the whole thing was my coach jumping the fence in one step in his little footy shorts and thongs and sprinting out to the middle of the ground to celebrate with us.

the next week we bowled out the other team for 90ish (3 catches and one fa for me) and i got 50 retired, i actually hit a four to put us infront and then next ball a four to reach 50

dont mind any over the top parts of the story but please be a real story

beating a bunch of arrogants so-and-so's in the grand final....2 years in a row :D

not only beat them, but absolutely mauled them too, first year bowled them out for 31 on an absolute road, second year made 320 odd then bowled them out for 70

sensational

Winning U/14's division 1 Indoor Cricket Grand Final in 2000.

Basically it had been 3 teams out in front all year including us. The other team in our division were hopelessly out of their weight division and they were only put there to stop the top division (us) from having just 3 teams. The top three teams could all beat each other but we couldn't beat the side that was second, no matter what we tried we just couldn't win.

Anyway, we finished on top by percentage and got to play the easy team in the 1st semi-final and we accounted for them by about 110 runs. Anyway the team that finished second to us was called "No Idea" and they were a fairly good side and we met them in the Grand Final.

We batted first and scored 99, a fairly competitive total. Then we went in to field. Surprisingly they sent their 2nd best pair in 1st. I bowled the first over and only conceded 6 but they still made a partnership of 45. We were really worried, as the last pair was quite good and we had to set them a decent total to win.

We managed to get on top of the second pair and held them to just 7, so the last two pairs needed 49 between them.

The first ball of the third pair was flicked down the leg side quite low and i managed to dive across and take a diving catch. It was the turning point of the game. That pair struggled to 17, meaning the last pair needed 32 to win.

We just stayed on top of them and took consistent wickets, their best pair were totally sheelshocked and they scored -9 for a total of 59.

It was such an awesome win, we hadn't beaten them all season and to beat them in the GF was ********ing good.

Sadly though i've never participated in an outdoor Grand Final, something i want to turn around. I've been in 3 semi's but have lost them all, and we were robbed in the most recent one (********ing umpires).

Getting a hat trick in 1973 in my first game on turf.
Making 450 not out against my little sisters in the back yard.
Hitting big sixes in an after work game when completely out of my head.
Executing an almost perfect leggie when bowling to the dog on the driveway last night.

school comp indoor cricket game in grade ten...

we were one player short, so the opposition coach (who was an absolute W A N K) decided it was up to him who bowled the last over of the game. at that stage, his team was about 5-10 runs ahead. naturally, being the c*cky little sh*te that I am, I casually wandered up to 'chat with the keeper', right in front of the coach. surprisingly (or not), he calls out to me - "fat kid, you're up".

after a pretty lousy session with the bat (I think my pair only got 20 or 30) and a shocking over with the ball earlier in the innings, he thought he'd be pretty safe...

took 5 wickets in 6 balls, won the game and was suspended from the indoor cricket team for a month for telling the opposition coach all about it :)

Getting swooped by a magpie all day because no one else was stupid/brave enough to field in that position in my first game in under 16s

As a huge cricket fan, with the lack, yet enthusiasm of cricket on the field, I was so pleased when I was on a hat-trick the day after Glenn McGrath took his hattrick in Perth. Unfortunately, it wasn;t a golden moment, but hey, it is one of them. :)

playing A grade cricket in Melbourne and i was only 15 playing against some very good players. Coped ******** the whole time i batted had bout 15 at tea of bout 50, went on got 75no and we won the game.

mine was the last home n away game of the year 2 years ago we had been the 2nd best team in the comp and we were playin 2nd bottom we bolwed 1st n rolled them for about 170 then the following week we needed to win to make finals and we were in trouble when i came in at 7 and we were 5/80 odd in a bit of trouble because no one below me had made more than 20 for the whole year and i came out and made me 1st 50 n took us into the finals we were lost in the granny but that moment will stay with me forever because i love those situations when the pressure is on

My favourite one is catching former Melbourne and state squad wicket keeper Rob Templeton out in the annual Rupertswood President's XI v Crusaders match. Best part was that the catch could of been taken by our 1st XI opening bat, ut he let me take the catch instead.

We play the Crusaders each year on one of our turf pitches, it's a social game more than anything but we always play against a few ex first-class and Premier cricket players.

My second one was taking the catch to win my side (3rds) the game a season or so ago. It was a hard one to hold as the batsman had tried to hook he ball but it hit on his hip and I caught it off his hip.

Having Marto stumped off my bowling in U/15's...he was about 130 and apparently had to leave early to play in an A-grade game.

big buddy38 said:
Having Marto stumped off my bowling in U/15's...he was about 130 and apparently had to leave early to play in an A-grade game.

Marto as in Damien Martyn I presume?....I played against him in U/15's also....he was playing for Wanneroo and me for Claremont-Cottesloe(now Claremont-Nedlands)...had him dropped three times before 30 in the slips :mad: (devilish outswingers :D )....he went on to make around 130 also...I'm pretty sure he made well over 1000 runs for the season...Big Buddy we may have played in the same team??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without a doubt scoring 124 in quick time in a match in January - one of only two games I played over the summer. Sure beat the first game I played, when I scored 0 and 1.

in u-12's i was the keeper and this guy had a habit of draging his foot out when playing off the front foot. they only needed a couple of runs to win with plenty of overs to go but they were 9 down. the bowler bowled a fullish ball and he played forward draged his foot out i threw the ball at the stumps with the gloves on and they hit. he was not awear that his foot was out untill he looked down nd saw about a 5cm or so out of the crease. we won the semi final and went on to lose the grandfinal :( but atleast i was a hero among our team that day :cool:

my low light would be dropping a diving catch as keeper on a hat trick and playing in 2 grad finals but not winning 1 :(

Opening the batting in a GF and facing a pretty quick bowler, the opp. had worked out that I couldn't play the short ball, which was true, he bounced me and I went for it, top edge over the 'keeper, 4 runs, next ball, short pulled over square leg 4 runs, third ball short, pulled over square leg 4 more, my SS Jumbo was very effective then.
Won the GF btw.

Scoring 100 retired in a one day game organised by my work, with the CEO and all the managers present, with trophies and bragging rights on offer. My team won and I got man of the match.

And I was wearing my grey West Indies one day guernsey.

216 and 4/26 with 2 catches in the same game.

Winning 3 indoor cricket premierships from 4 straight Grand Finals.

making 3 centuries in u/14's with the first one (120) obviously being the most memorable as my highest score before that was 30. got dropped twice on 96 so luck was on my side.

but that was bloody almost 10 years ago and my highest score since is 78. can barely hit the ball through the infield let alone make triple figures these days.

District U/17 grand final. Taking 5/13 on an absolute road and knocking over the opposition for 38. The game was done before lunchtime. Prior to the game the coach had told us that we had a strong batting line-up but our bowling was our weakness.

Fraka, sorry to disappoint but I wasn't a Claremont-Cott boy - was playing for Subi-Floreat when I first encountered Damien Martyn.
I'd heard a lot about Marto obviously but didn't even know it was him until the first drinks break - he had a huge silver earring and an even bigger mullet at the time. I think he made about five tons that season which was unheard of for kids in those days.

VTCA 2003 - Sth A1
Took 8/36 & a hatrick vs Moorabin Park C.C.

Had a shocker the year before against the same club & copped it non stop that day. Previously also went out for a blob when we batted first & the nightmare was being relived. (shocking sledgers & supporters).

Ripped the heart out of them with the best spell of my life.

Had a great year but unfortunately we went down to Mordy in the GF after a hero's performance for them by Sanjay Weerasinghe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your big cricket moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back