Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

His fitness is a bit better but his off field professionalism (diet, recovery, still been missing training sessions with his club etc) are still significant issues which is why clubs are very hesitant on him. I reckon he will go late pick or rookie and to wce or freo only other clubs won't risk him.

What is Ryan's background ..did he play in the u18's etc?

I guess we could say would we go for 2 KPF as well.

I very much doubt it on both counts.

I’m warming to looking at Sam Taylor now with one of our first two but if we did that would want a couple of smaller types with the other pick in the 20’s and the pick 35.

Does anyone know if Ling is faster than any of Cocky, Murdoch, Danger or Stanley? It appears not so in the acceleration department, refer below:

Dangerfield's Top Combine Results
20m - 2.92 secs
Repeat Sprints - 23.96 sec

Cockatoo's Top Combine Results
20m - 2.90 secs
Repeat Sprints - 23.93 sec

Murdoch Top Combine Results
20m - 2.76 secs

Ling Top Combine Results
Agility - 8.30 secs
YoYo - 21.8
20m - ?? (slower than 2.98secs at least)....

Last edited:
I'd say blokes like Patmore, L Fogarty, and Bailey seem to have the quick explosive pace, and have proven themselves to accumulate possessions. They will be thereabout with our available picks.

Houlahan has good x-factor, and I'm almost inclined to choose him over McCartin or Wooller if we have all options available at Pick 35. Wooller is my next choice.

Question is, do we go Allen at Pick 22 if there!? Hard to overlook.

I very much doubt it on both counts.

I’m warming to looking at Sam Taylor now with one of our first two but if we did that would want a couple of smaller types with the other pick in the 20’s and the pick 35.

It will be interesting to see how much our recruiters factor next year in (clearly they have some thought to it given they stocked up on late 2018 picks in the draft period) as while we don't know if all 4 F/S kids will be draftable if they are they are all mid sized players so we wont be taking many talls next year besides rookies. And we will lose some talls next year for example maybe taylor and probably stanley and black. So while i don't think we will go for talls unless quality ones are there, if they are i could see us drafting one or two talls this year.

Hugh Dixon could turn into a Key Forward, but only with a late pick or rookie. Reminds me of Billy Brownless for some reason.

Honestly cant see BB at all in Dixon.

BB when he was a young guy early on was a stick playing at FF with a huge spring but a bit awkward.

Dixon is more that medium type in a tall body and is not a stick but more mobile. Yet we all see different things.

One distinct difference left foot and right foot.. and BB rfoot and was a beautiful kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see how much our recruiters factor next year in (clearly they have some thought to it given they stocked up on late 2018 picks in the draft period) as while we don't know if all 4 F/S kids will be draftable if they are they are all mid sized players so we wont be taking many talls next year besides rookies. And we will lose some talls next year for example maybe taylor and probably stanley and black. So while i don't think we will go for talls unless quality ones are there, if they are i could see us drafting one or two talls this year.

Theres the rub ... there have been plenty of strong opinions on here about Woolller and McCartin ... I quite like the look of Butts .., who is to say what they see as quality.

I think it's a little dangerous trying to preempt what next year's draft will be and basing how you approach this year's on it. From what I have seen thus far none of our FS are what you'd term outstanding at this stage. Brownless appears the most highly rated but even he's currently only looking as being a high second round pick. A lot can change either way - perhaps some will come on?

I think, whilst being somewhat mindful of next year's talent pool in totality (not just our FS's), I'd be more inclined to deal with the here and now. Taylor and McCartin both have claims but we are also deficient with quality runners on our list so we can't ignore that. We also need to be recruiting goal kickers. Houlahan is one that interests me if we are looking at a medium forward - Menzel is year to year and no longer can be relied upon.

I reckon we can get a decent crop this draft. Combos that appeal to me are:

22. Taylor
25. Having gone tall now either L.Fogarty, Bailey or O'Brien
35. Houlahan
58. Floyd

22. O'Brien
25. L.Fogarty or Bailey
35. Houlahan
58. Clavarino or Petty

I think it's a little dangerous trying to preempt what next year's draft will be and basing how you approach this year's on it. From what I have seen thus far none of our FS are what you'd term outstanding at this stage. Brownless appears the most highly rated but even he's currently only looking as being a high second round pick. A lot can change either way - perhaps some will come on?

I think, whilst being somewhat mindful of next year's talent pool in totality (not just our FS's), I'd be more inclined to deal with the here and now. Taylor and McCartin both have claims but we are also deficient with quality runners on our list so we can't ignore that. We also need to be recruiting goal kickers. Houlahan is one that interests me if we are looking at a medium forward - Menzel is year to year and no longer can be relied upon.

22. Taylor
35. Houlahan
58. Floyd

22. O'Brien
25. L.Fogarty or Bailey
35. Houlahan
58. Clavarino or Petty
Agreed.

Murphy or Houlahan are the two best mid-sized marking types in this draft that may be outside Top 20 in the draft, we could use more of that type on our list. A bit like how Danger and Duncan are reasonably strong overhead. Murphy is more likely to be a Def/Mid, but jury is still out whether Houlahan can be a Mid/Fwd or just a Fwd.

Agreed.

Murphy or Houlahan are the two best mid-sized marking types in this draft that may be outside Top 20 in the draft, we could use more of that type on our list. A bit like how Danger and Duncan are reasonably strong overhead. Murphy is more likely to be a Def/Mid, but jury is still out whether Houlahan can be a Mid/Fwd or just a Fwd.

It appears that Murphy will go a bit earlier now than our first but he looks quality and I'd grab him if available. Houlahan I'd even use 22 or 25 on if we thought he would last until 35. I like players that are natural goal kickers. He seems to be one and has a lovely set shot to boot. I think he has midfield potential but I see him currently playing like an SJ type role.

22. Taylor
35. Houlahan
58. Floyd

22. O'Brien
25. L.Fogarty or Bailey
35. Houlahan
58. Clavarino or Petty
Dangerous or difficult ... it what they have to do.. I agree on the FS

Dangerous or difficult ... it what they have to do.. I agree on the FS

Difficult as well! Dangerous in that we may have retrospectively picked different players this year when next years assumptions don't come to fruition. I think you obviously need to plan ahead but I doubt that you can make too many "absolutes" about future year events.

My revised list - not necessarily who I want, but who I think we'll take:

22. Sam Taylor (196cm, 87kg)
One of the best KPDs in the draft if not the best. Played at league level in the WAFL this year and more than held his own. If he's available at 22 he'd just be too hard to pass up.

24. Harry Petty (195cm, 82kg)
Probably unlikely we'd pick two KPDs with our first two picks, but with Lonergan and Mackie gone, HT and Henderson with not a lot of years left, and really only Gardner and maybe Kolo waiting in the wings, I can see it happening. Petty is a star too, and won SA's MVP at the Champs.

35. Jake Patmore (181cm, 72kg)
Lost 10kgs over the off-season, which helped his running and his already elite pace. Averaged more than 20 disposals off a HBF in the champs for WA, and can see him as a wingman at AFL level. A Motlop replacement of sorts.

58. Alex Martini (181cm, 77kg)

One of our more prominent recruiters in SA has strong ties to Sacred Heart and Glenelg. I don't necessarily think we need this bloke, but he captained Sacred Heart last year, and played all year in Glenelg's league side in 2017. Just have a feeling we'll nab him. He's fast, strong in the contest, has great skills and can play just about anywhere on the field. In my opinion, he was the best performer at league level this year out of any of the SA potential draftees.

Difficult as well! Dangerous in that we may have retrospectively picked different players this year when next years assumptions don't come to fruition. I think you obviously need to plan ahead but I doubt that you can make too many "absolutes" about future year events.
You are correct of course ... this years draft was going to be good..and then the players didn't come on.

In a way the whole concept of the draft is prognostication as much insight... and I think there is an element of the blind man in a dark room about it. The dark room make it hard for those with vision but for someone who is blind it makes little difference... both blind and sighted may have to reach and touch and try to use other senses to find their way thru the room.. but the blind man is better at it because he well versed in it.All anyone can do is move in the general direction , try to avoid fall flat on your face or stub one toe and hopefully get there.

If we had 3 or 4 FS options next year Hawkins size I doubt very much we would take a tall ..but any of them could fail to come on.

You are correct of course ... this years draft was going to be good..and then the players didn't come on.

In a way the whole concept of the draft is prognostication as much insight... and I think there is an element of the blind man in a dark room about it. The dark room make it hard for those with vision but for someone who is blind it makes little difference... both blind and sighted may have to reach and touch and try to use other senses to find their way thru the room.. but the blind man is better at it because he well versed in it.All anyone can do is move in the general direction , try to avoid fall flat on your face or stub one toe and hopefully get there.

If we had 3 or 4 FS options next year Hawkins size I doubt very much we would take a tall ..but any of them could fail to come on.

I think we also have to consider list balance. I haven’t had time to look at the number of 192cm + players we have on our list and relative to other clubs where we lie but that would also have to come into play. We can’t keep fishing for talls hoping one will be a beautiful salmon when they could all be carp.

We have other areas on our list that need attention - the loss of Motlop leaves our outside running stocks almost at Sahara drought levels. Our midfield is still too heavily reliant on D & S so needs ongoing restoration too.

I think we should bring in a nice balance of different types but be mindful of the best available at any one point when we go to pick. Assuming we take 4 players - 2 mids, 1 KP and 1 small forward looks a pretty reasonable pre draft aim if things go to plan.

Hey guys so I had you guys for the Official Bigfooty Phantom Draft. I tried my best to try and fill your list needs and a lot came down to how highly I rated those players. Im happy to answer any questions relating to the picks and why I took certain players and why I didn't take other players. Im aware you wont be taking some of those later picks its just how the mock draft ended up playing out

Pick 24 - Matthew Ling
Pick 26 - Charlie Ballard
Pick 36 - Toby Wooller
Pick 59 - Will Walker
Pick 72 - Ethan Floyd
Pick 87 - Lachlan Schultz

My profiles on the players and some footage is included in the that thread so have a look when you get the chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Your Draft Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back