Your experiences and emotions during famous or close matches?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like these sorts of threads during the off-season. Where were you when some of the more famous close finishes occurred over the years? Did anything make the day/night memorable?

Rewatching a few such games from a few years back (the 05 Semi, Cats-Swans, and the 04 Prelim, Port-Saints), it gets you thinking back to where you were when you watched it on the night.

The '04 Prelim was memorable. Was going for the Saints :)eek:) and remember feeling really positive when Gehrig got the ton early in the game, felt like the Saints were on a winner. We had fish 'n chips that night. Great way to start the holidays.:cool:

Also recall the '99 Blues-Bombers Prelim vividly. It was the day of the state election; remember driving to Maccas after voting with 3AW on, and the Blues leading in the 2nd quarter, but everyone thinking that the Dons would eventually overwhelm them, it was just a matter of time. After a caramel Sundae, we got back home at it was late in the 3rd (on the radio). Ch7 had a delayed telecast, which I went to watch, while my parents stuck with 3AW. Remember hearing shouting about 30m later, and hearing the radio's volume go up out of nowhere and the sound of the Carlton theme song blaring out. Sort of wrecked the ending on the telecast, but I won't forget it.:footy::):thumbsu:

Outside of the threepeat I'll never forget Round 22, 1998 - the day I started barracking for the Brisbane Lions. I was a young kid growing up in Perth and just supported the Eagles as a matter of course rather than having any real emotion for them and I flicked the game on.

I expected Brisbane to get flogged and the Saints to secure their spot in the top four but from the beginning to the end it was such a show of spirit from a team down on their knees for the whole season that I couldn't help but be swayed. Andrew Bews was played despite being out of form and in his 282nd and final game he had a shocker but helped inspire his team-mates to a 1 point victory in front of a meagre crowd at the Gabba, only their fifth for the season.

They didn't really have much to play for but watching a 19 year old Daniel Bradshaw kick four along with a 21 year old Aker and an 18 year old Power work their absolute knuckles to the bone to win what was essentially a dead rubber for them but an important game for the far superior Saints side inspired me. I knew even as a 9 year old that this was the team I wanted to support for the rest of my life.

I think I fell in love with footy properly that night as well and the euphoria I felt wasn't something I'd experienced up until that point in time in regards to sport. Great night, great game and I'm so thankful I switched on the telly to fall in love with the Lions.

Every time I see Nick Davis's effort against the cats in 05, sends tingles down my spin. Remember looking at halftime going 'yea boring'. But turned it over just to see davis turn it on!

Every time I see Nick Davis's effort against the cats in 05, sends tingles down my spin. Remember looking at halftime going 'yea boring'. But turned it over just to see davis turn it on!

I watch the video all the time and it still makes me excited.
I honestly think it's the greatest and most amazing performance recorded on video.

Probably the best feeling i've had in football would be during last years GF.

2007 was a different vibe because we knew well from the end it was ours.

But last year, after an incredibly intense and physical contest, when it got to the last 2 minutes and I knew we had it, the feeling that washed over me was hard to describe. Sheer elelation would probably be the closest words I could use. Then when the siren went, there was an extreme outpouring of emotion to put it mildly.

Contrast my experiece with that of my St Kilda supporting brother, who once he realized they weren't going to win, started staring out into space, looking all the while like he was thinking of crying. When the siren went he didn't move, he continued to stand there vacantly staring out into the ground, while I was jumping around like a madman.

I had to get out of there and leave him to it, I didn't want him to think I was trying to rub his nose in it.

Also recall the '99 Blues-Bombers Prelim vividly.

I listened to it with a mate in an internet cafe in Krakow. We were armed with what seemed to be an endless suply of Zywiec. Walked out pretty shattered but the pain was numbed by my inebriated state.

Wathed the 1996 "Lockett point after siren" prelim with mates at Fox and Hounds inthe city. We looked like fools embracing after the loss.

Watched the Nick Davis winning goal prelim with my ex housemate who is a Swans supporter. We had a bet a while before then that whichever one of our team was first to make a GF, the other person would shout tickets for both of us to go to the GF. Iwas pretty peeved when that dog of a bloke kicked the winner.

Next weekend we went to theground and I forked out about $1300 to a scalper for 2 tickets. They got us into aprivate box but we were booted out within 10 inutes when some lady asked us our names. We ended up watching it in the standing area.

Was at the 04 Prelim, just the sheer relief and buzz at the ground was incredible...was right behind Wanga's goal in the last quarter, so many memorable moments in that last quarter, Wilbur's marks on the wing too were remarkable...

99 Prelim I was at home and going for the Blues, remember it so well...04 GF was the biggest for me, turned down a BBQ party at a mate's, a GF tradition, as I wanted to watch it alone...I'm glad I did this because I was a wreck when the siren went

The last few minutes of the Cats-Sydney game where Nick Davis just lit up the SCG are just the stuff of legend. The game was a pretty boring affair until the second half where Sydney got a bit of a sniff, you could sense it building throughout the second half and in the last quarter it was just a rollercoaster ride. That last ditch effort by Davis to snatch the game and the crazy reaction from the crowd was just amazing. The commentators really added to it as well, Huddo and Michael Christian were going beserk from memory.

Also recall the '99 Blues-Bombers Prelim vividly. It was the day of the state election; remember driving to Maccas after voting with 3AW on, and the Blues leading in the 2nd quarter, but everyone thinking that the Dons would eventually overwhelm them, it was just a matter of time. After a caramel Sundae, we got back home at it was late in the 3rd (on the radio). Ch7 had a delayed telecast, which I went to watch, while my parents stuck with 3AW. Remember hearing shouting about 30m later, and hearing the radio's volume go up out of nowhere and the sound of the Carlton theme song blaring out. Sort of wrecked the ending on the telecast, but I won't forget it.:footy::):thumbsu:

I remember I was at my Uncle's place to see the end of that Game and he was a Carlton Supporter:eek:

The last few minutes of the Cats-Sydney game where Nick Davis just lit up the SCG are just the stuff of legend. The game was a pretty boring affair until the second half where Sydney got a bit of a sniff, you could sense it building throughout the second half and in the last quarter it was just a rollercoaster ride. That last ditch effort by Davis to snatch the game and the crazy reaction from the crowd was just amazing. The commentators really added to it as well, Huddo and Michael Christian were going beserk from memory.

I was Barracking for the Cats that Night and was POed after that little Mumma's Boy Davis kicked the Winner

Any of the finals I've been to, I've lost my voice. But the one where I got the most involved was the semi final last year. I went over, first time at the MCG, and was going ballistic at the Pies fans etc, sticking it up them! Only to experience have a win snatched from our jaws later on, it was the most devastated I've ever been after an Adelaide game.:( I barely spoke two words for hours, much like after the prelim in 06. The Nick Davis moment still sends tingles down me though. I watched it live, and I've seen it about 6 or 7 times since then, still the same feeling.

That has made the memory last for me, Huddo gave the best call I've ever heard during an AFL game.

'04 Prelim I remember watching it on TV but all the while running to the radio and getting live score updates, I couldn't stand the pressure. I remember running to the radio and listening to the last 5 minutes with Wanganeen kicking that goal on the boundary, as a young lad I doubt I've been more shattered. I cried and punched my bed and just got really angry.

'09 GF my heart sank when Chapman kicked that goal, but I initially believed it was over when Rooke kicked a point with about 29 minutes gone. Although my hope returned when we quickly got it down the other end and got a point, and I knew everything was riding on the kick out from Geelong. As Harry Taylor rose to take that mark on their defensive flank, I knew it was over and I'd lost all hope. Very shattering feeling.

I thought all that disappointment could be put behind me for the most part when Goddard soared for 'that' mark in GF1 this year, I have never had a better feeling, jumping from the couch and yelling and screaming with my 55 year old long-lived Saints supporter uncle who has back and knee problems doing the same thing. We both thought we were closer then than we had ever been to a flag in 46 years. When the siren went, very empty feeling.

Nick Davis' last quarter of '05 Semi-Final still sends shivers down my spine. I remember '09 ANZAC day clash with Zaharakis' goal, watching the game with my family at my cousins' house and the five minute warning hit with Pies comfortably in front. I turned to my brother and said "Essendon will win this, watch". I just had that feeling. Anyway, when Zaharakis kicked that goal we went bananas!!! And we were Saints, Demons and Tigers fans, no Essendon or Collingwood fans in the house!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. I remember '09 ANZAC day clash with Zaharakis' goal, watching the game with my family at my cousins' house and the five minute warning hit with Pies comfortably in front. I turned to my brother and said "Essendon will win this, watch". I just had that feeling. Anyway, when Zaharakis kicked that goal we went bananas!!! And we were Saints, Demons and Tigers fans, no Essendon or Collingwood fans in the house!

I remember Recording the last 5 Minutes of that thinking we had it run but they stuffed it up:mad:

Ah, the Nick Davis semifinal in 04.

I was sat behind the Geelong cheersquad at the end the Swans were kicking towards in the last quarter. At 3/4 quarter time we had a handy lead, but being a long-suffering Cat supporter you just knew that the match wasn't over until the final siren. I'd seen the Cats lose too many unloseable matches to get too carried away. At the break I remember the ground announcer interviewing a young guy from the Geelong cheer squad and he being certain the Cats were home, before leading a rousing Gee-long chant. I remember thinking at the time "settle down mate, we're not home yet!" And, er, I was right.

When Nick Davis kicked that last goal I just sat there, stunned. And when the siren sounded I stayed sitting, head in hands. For the next ten minutes I think every single Geelong fan was the same as me- staring blankly wondering what the hell just happened. The crowd sang the Sydney theme song for an eternity... I've never seen a more delirious crowd.

I don't think I moved until the ground was just about empty.

:(

RD 2 This Year Pies vs Dee's.

Went to the Game after going to a Practice Game for Pies VFL Side at Victoria Park and Thinking we are going to Kill Melbourne. And it was close all day and I just felt we where playing Terrible and we where going to lose and when the Dee's got more than a Goal in front in the Last I just left my Seat in the Great Southern Stand Level 3 and Walked down feeling Pissed Off that we lost to Melbourne and I was going Straight Home but I decided to stay and see who will kick the next goal. We Did and then got a Goal in Front and the last Minute was amazing and when the Siren went I was in the Standing Room Jumping up and down going nuts could not believe we won the Game

That Nick Davis game was amazing. The emotion and passion, not only shown by the Swans but by their fans, was, and still is, spine tingling. What a quarter of footy! That's what dreams are made of :thumbsu:

I was at the ANZAC game last year and was cheering like a Bombers fan for those final tense minutes. I remember one guy was so stoked he was jumping up and down on his seat and singing the song at full pelt. It was great to see.

As a supporter from a team who never really gets to experience the good side of these close and passionate encounters it can be hard not to get swept along for the ride.

I remember Essendon v West Coast in 2007, rd 11 i think

the crowd was very tense when Hille kicked a behind to put us in front 95-94 with 3 minutes to go, then the Eagles moved into attack but it should have been a free to the Bombers for holding the ball - bombers fans going crazy at umps, then after ball up West Coast free and they kicked it into the goalsquare and hirds kicks away and finds the boundary - moment of relief but still 30 seconds to go - then the Eagles kick it long inside 50 again Fletch knocks it out of bounds. Siren. Bombers win!!!

Fans just exploded with emotion, my legs were shaking all the way home, also on the radio people were talking up Essendon's premiership chances cause we beat Syd & WCE in consecutive weeks :eek:

I remember Essendon v West Coast in 2007, rd 11 i think

Fans just exploded with emotion, my legs were shaking all the way home, also on the radio people were talking up Essendon's premiership chances cause we beat Syd & WCE in consecutive weeks :eek:

Best atmosphere I can recall being at for an AFL game. The stands were literally shaking that night.

Both the Swans-Eagles GF's were great at the end.

And the first GF this year was a bit edge-of-the-seat too! The only thing this year was that the clock was on countdown, so with under 30 seconds to go you knew the only possibility was a Saints score, and with 10-15 seconds to go it was pretty clear that nobody would score. Didn't have that the-siren-could-go-any-second-but-maybe-there's-time-for-one-more-push-forward element that 05 and 06 had at the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your experiences and emotions during famous or close matches?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back