Your Favourite Collingwood Memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I pry into your PM conversation? This Ivanhoe Grammar boy would find it amusing re.
I promise you I’m not that interesting. I was a nerd at school, with a rough home life, and just tried to get through it and hopefully come out the other side.

Smells stick with me too. Still remember the smell of the hamburgers cooking behind the Sherrin Stand.

For me, the smell - or more accurately the odour - of the hot pink industrial strength and highly artificial ‘tomato sauce’ dispensed from a huge plastic drum at Vic Park. Was ‘injected’ into the meat pies at the kiosk behind the Rush Stand. Still can’t get that smell out of my head.

1990. Too hard to beat. Born in 68, lived through 77 through 81. We went to all the Collingwood games and finals in melb in 90 barring the gf. Week before the gf got an old bedsheet and painted the word ‘Destiny’ in black and hung it in the front window of the house. Watched it on telly with mates, Daics goals nearly gave me a fit. The best was watching the fans go crazy. Roof was off the southern stand in preparation for demolishing the rest of the stand after footy season. Beautiful spring late afternoon sun beating down on the faithful going nuts. That’s my favourite memory.

For me, the smell - or more accurately the odour - of the hot pink industrial strength and highly artificial ‘tomato sauce’ dispensed from a huge plastic drum at Vic Park. Was ‘injected’ into the meat pies at the kiosk behind the Rush Stand. Still can’t get that smell out of my head.

Love it. Was there anything like Victoria Park? Some of the best days of my life.

Hi guys. My dad was a pies fan and my favourite memory was getting in at the last minute to the 1995 ANZAC DAY drawn match.

We had to literally sit in the aisle at the very top of the old Ponsford stand.

I remember Rex Hunt coming on the big screen saying "if you're inside thank your lucky stars because the gates have been locked" and a cheer as they showed helicopter views of thousands of people still trying to get in.

We were in Melbourne for a footy weekend. Think we saw like 5 games that weekend.

Lucky to get inside and will always be a great memory.

Spilled beers on us and scooching over as people tried to get through the aisle. No way itd be allowed these days.

Was absolutely brilliant.

You had to stand each time the ball went near the goals at the city end because you couldnt see the goal square from the angle we were at.

I loved the 2 teams all sitting mixed together and the banter and smells of pies/chips/hot dogs/beers is still there in my mind...

It felt like footy in Melbourne.

Anyway always had a soft spot for pies. Bad luck bout last week. Both teams respect each other. Good luck in 2019

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The 1990 QF Final draw was a game that I’ll never forget; despite the fact that we didn’t win, we went on to win the repkay and the flag so it tints my view somewhat rosier.

Daicos’ goal in the last, BT warming up in his black dressing gown to the roar of the crowd on the boundary, Sumich missing after the siren...

Then getting in the car and the commentators all agreeing that WCE were toast next week!

Love it. Was there anything like Victoria Park? Some of the best days of my life.

I'm gonna ask around.. I know my grandfather collected/stored footy records from the Vic Park days.

If I find em.. would love to hand em to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the mm era does anyone remember a throw in or ball up in the pies forward pocket. Fraser hits the sweetest tap in history down Leon’s throat who hit the pack at full pace and drills the goal. At least that’s how I remember it. I was speechless So sweet.

I was so far back in the Ponsford that day I was actually sitting behind the scoreboard. It offered no protection from the rain though, but unlike the Essendon fans I was with I didn't care.
Exactly my point was happy top level with no cover at all. Brilliant day to be a maggie

Playing kick to kick with Damien Monkhurst as an 8 year old and then meeting all the players at some function for kid members in the early 90s. Players who make the effort for child fans are good eggs, those memories can stick with people forever.

The more of this sort of stuff the better - the club do seem to be making more noise about appreciating the fans and we are starting to get that family feel back a bit. Keep it up and move it to the next level I say.

My favourite memory is the whole lead up and finale to 1990 with my favourite player ever Peter Daicos being a key to the whole thing. I have really bad memory but the 1990 GF is one rare time that I genuinely can remember it like it was yesterday. Watched at my grandmother's house and was shaking in anticipation. My first flag aged 16.

I don't have a lot of great childhood memories as my father never took me to a single game , so most of mine are via the television. I did begin to venture to Victoria Park by myself when I was old enough but it's not the same.

One great recent memory (2017) is a couple of great current day players hosting us for my son's birthday party at the club . We're in a pretty dire financial situation at the moment so I am rapt that I managed to do that for him before things went pear shaped.

Yeah south smells hit you where you live.

I can remember getting home very late on the night of the '90 GF with my son asleep in my arms and a manic smile still plastered over my face.
After putting him to bed and sitting with the missus having a sip and a sup I went to my little cellar and pulled out a 25yo + bottle of Laphroaig, then slipped out onto the patio.

THAT is the smell I remember most powerfully - mellow and peaty, amber smoothness personified. I must have spent a couple of hours out there, toasting the Pies and my dad's shade who must have been causing absolute mayhem up there lol.

I still have another 6 bottles of that ambrosia - now nearly 50 years old - and almost got to crack a bottle this year.
Laphroaig heaven!

In the 'right in front of me' against Adelaide final Lee Brown took a mark outside 50 basically kicking to keep us in the game. This was before he turned good and he was basically the whipping boy of all whipping boys. Anyway I remember the cheer and then collective groan of about 80,000 pies supporters when they realised that the bloke who marked it was Leeroy. Anyway he went back and drilled it and the roar was massive. I think that goes down as one of my favourite moments, and I think it kind of turned Lee Brown's career around from being a bit of a hack to Collingwood legend.

One of my earliest football memories was the Mick McGuane goal so I should add that as well.

And if I was alive for Phil Carman head butting the umpire then that would be #1.

I was well and truly alive (6yo) but cannot remember that either.

One that I can remember vivdly is John Bourke - yikes!
yeah he did it when he was playing for essendon so I don't even know if it qualifies as.a great Collingwood moment, maybe just a great moment.

Either way it pales in comparison to what Johnny Bourke did.

Is that second "hit" a Logie winning performance by the ump or did he clip him again with his right hand? Essendon explains why I cannot remember , but with Bourke I believe I was actually watching the Reserves on TV. Would've been 10 or 11 or so I think.

yeah he did it when he was playing for essendon so I don't even know if it qualifies as.a great Collingwood moment, maybe just a great moment.

Either way it pales in comparison to what Johnny Bourke did.

That game was telecast on TV. Think it was called the Army Reserves cup or something like that back then.
I rarely watched it but on that day I just happened to decide to watch it. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Jumped into the crowd as well to try to take a few supporters on.

That game was telecast on TV. Think it was called the Army Reserves cup or something like that back then.
I rarely watched it but on that day I just happened to decide to watch it. Couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Jumped into the crowd as well to try to take a few supporters on.
The commentary from Slug Jordan was A++ though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your Favourite Collingwood Memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back