Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

And that is a perfectly valid reason and I respect that. To make a sweeping statement saying that all death metal is the same is another thing.

If you compare the following bands that I'm very fond of. None of them feature straight up harsh vocals of which would lack diversity within the song. They all undergo reasonable transitions from progressive rock/classical to Harsh vocals, some semi harsh vocals. Personally I find the longer harmonic vocals better than say AC/DC type vocals. This is why I love Death Metal just as much as Progressive Rock and why I'm not particularly of certain genres such as Punk Rock, Thrash, and Screamo WHEN there lacks diversity and progression throughout the song.

DaRick are you kidding me. No melodic components in death metal. There's an entire genre called Melodic Death Metal. Extra curricular activiies??? Are you on about? How many bands out there from all genre are doing ****ed up s**t like Oasis

Putrascension

Meshuggah

Septecflesh (This song features with an orchestra, and gives off movie soundtrack themes/superman etc)

Carach Angren

Ne Obliviscaris

Deadspace

Bloodred Hourglass

Rotting Christ

It's like saying all piano music is the same with some guy just hitting a bunch of keys, ignoring all of the technical components that go with it, the key, the tempo etc.

I'm aware of its existence, but melodic death metal is not really melodic by any other genre's standard (except maybe black metal).

RE black metal and extracurricular activities. Mayhem? Varg Vikernes? Church burnings?

I'm not an Oasis fan, but they haven't gone that far.

I'm aware of its existence, but melodic death metal is not really melodic by any other genre's standard (except maybe black metal).

RE black metal and extracurricular activities. Mayhem? Varg Vikernes? Church burnings?

I'm not an Oasis fan, but they haven't gone that far.
I'm pretty sure you can add death metal vocals to most classical pieces.

a large proportion of bands get up to no good. They aren't always great people.

I’ve heard people talk about Amyl and the Sniffers as the next great Australian rock and roll band

I just see a talentless gimmick hack band that will be forgotten in a few years.

It's the lack of any originality with them that I don't get. Australia has been doing the yobbo-punk thing for years (Cosmic Psychos being the prototype) and they're just another in that line. Nothing that offensive about them but nothing that great either.

Here's a great band from Adelaide who was doing something similar albeit 35 years ago.

I listen to most genres. And have over 500 vinyl albums in my collection.

I love classical, electronic, folk, country and dance just as much as death metal.

iirc your narrow statement on the components of death metal were blatantly incorrect

What you said does not represent the full spectrum of death metal. I know a crap load of songs that share clean, semi harsh and harsh vocals with progressive rock elements, classical components, solos, key aspects of classical music such as off beat notes, trills, pauses, tempo changes and more.

Your words were clear, and they are incorrect
Like I said: each to their own. That's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to it.

Like I said: each to their own. That's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to it.
I don't have a problem with people saying they don't like the harsh vocals in death metal, "I find it grating", "It's unpleasing", "I prefer cleaner vocals", they're opinions based on taste just as much as I'm not overly fond of autotune. Only thing is what you stated about death metal and I quoted is simply untrue.

I listened to a friend rave for 10 minutes today about re-discovering Bruce Springsteen during interstate holiday flights.

I think he is my ultimate "I don't get it" musician. We have so many talented musicians and song writers in Australia, and patriotically I wish they could all succeed.

For me, the fact that an ordinary song writer, a terrible singer, and a shitty guitarist singing about Americana can sell out big gigs in Australia is really embarrassing. It's not a testament to the performer as much as it's a testament to a pathetic envy of America.

I listened to a friend rave for 10 minutes today about re-discovering Bruce Springsteen during interstate holiday flights.

I think he is my ultimate "I don't get it" musician. We have so many talented musicians and song writers in Australia, and patriotically I wish they could all succeed.

For me, the fact that an ordinary song writer, a terrible singer, and a shitty guitarist singing about Americana can sell out big gigs in Australia is really embarrassing. It's not a testament to the performer as much as it's a testament to a pathetic envy of America.
Yea I've never clicked with it.. perhaps if I lived in Jersey?

The E Street Band feels like a soulless movie soundtrack band & quite frankly very stock and unadventurous musically.

I'm pretty sure you can add death metal vocals to most classical pieces.

a large proportion of bands get up to no good. They aren't always great people.

Oh of course, the rockstar lifestyle rarely brings the best out of people.

But there's a difference between a dickhead like Noel Gallagher and a murderer like Varg Vikernes.

Oh of course, the rockstar lifestyle rarely brings the best out of people.

But there's a difference between a dickhead like Noel Gallagher and a murderer like Varg Vikernes.
So you made note of one guy.

What about the countless others. It's not confined to death metal artists.
Rolf Harris did folk music and hes a campaigner of the higherst order
Mark Sailing
R Kelly

Let's not target Death Metal

Was watching Slow Horses the other day and a character was listening to a song that was just about the cheesiest thing I’ve ever heard, and I recognised it as Iron Maiden. So I Googled them- 130 million record sales.

Had a look at a couple of forums too and need to be careful. Got the sense if you refer to them as glam or hair metal their hard core fans will track you down and kill you.

Was watching Slow Horses the other day and a character was listening to a song that was just about the cheesiest thing I’ve ever heard, and I recognised it as Iron Maiden. So I Googled them- 130 million record sales.

Had a look at a couple of forums too and need to be careful. Got the sense if you refer to them as glam or hair metal their hard core fans will track you down and kill you.
Was that the Alexander The Great song Ho was playing in his car? Oh yeah, that was complete cringe, I thought the same 🤣

Slow Horses was fantastic yet again, but that last episode in S3 left a lot to be desired in terms of plausability. Are the British Special Forces really that incompetent that they'd be taken out by a few twerps with a couple of handguns?

Was that the Alexander The Great song Ho was playing in his car? Oh yeah, that was complete cringe, I thought the same 🤣

Slow Horses was fantastic yet again, but that last episode in S3 left a lot to be desired in terms of plausability. Are the British Special Forces really that incompetent that they'd be taken out by a few twerps with a couple of handguns?
That’s the one. Dead set Spinal Tap stuff.

Agree 100% with the SH synopsis too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iron Maiden are very Spinal-Tappy.

Early days, I only knew them by name and from the T-shirts and so expected them to be thrashy like the other t-shirt bands I knew of growing up - Metallica, Megadeth, etc.

First time I actually saw them was on Rage and I thought it was a joke at first, then realised it was Iron Maiden.

I've seen them live now, and I appreciate most of their stuff, but for me, their image does not match their music at all.

I'd class Iron Maiden as theatrical & it's not for everybody, I'm not into Dickinson's vocals TBH which is why I only have the first two albums with Di'Anno.

Yeah it’s standard wisdom that Nirvana came along and vaporised those bands and most people were glad. But I’ve spoken to a few people over the years who kind of resent the 90s alternative scene for that. It’s about what you like I guess.

In any event, bands like IM sold in numbers those grunge darlings could only dream of. So what to I know😂

Last edited:
Yeah it’s standard wisdom that Nirvana came along and vaporised those bands and most people were glad. But I’ve spoken to a few people over the years who kind of resent the 90s alternative scene for that. It’s about what you like I guess.

In any event, bands like IM sold in numbers those grunge darlings could only dream of. So what to I know😂
It's all overblown that stuff none of the grunge explosion stopped anything really, I don't know the timelines but I imagine there were just as many dipshits listening to Metallica & Billy Ray Cyrus at the time lol.

Alexander the Great s an absolute ripper.
The band i don't get is U2. Boring flogs, just my opinion tho!
I have a few friends from Northern UK and they all hate U2, but especially Bono. I like their stuff up to and including Zooropa, and I like Bono, but I do understand why they think it.

I reckon Bono is the last big rockstar. I read his latest memoir and whilst it is often floggish, I still enjoyed it.

Dave Grohl?

I was also thinking Noel Gallagher although he probably isn't as big with Oasis not being active.

Bono never really came across to me as the 'Rockstar' type, mainly because he always tries to say the right thing and be too nice, a bit like Chris Martin.

I would have Dave Grohl more of a rockstar than Bono, he tends to come across more genuine in that if he doesn't like someone or something then he doesn't mind saying it even if it might upset everyone.

I was also thinking Noel Gallagher although he probably isn't as big with Oasis not being active.

Bono never really came across to me as the 'Rockstar' type, mainly because he always tries to say the right thing and be too nice, a bit like Chris Martin.

I would have Dave Grohl more of a rockstar than Bono, he tends to come across more genuine in that if he doesn't like someone or something then he doesn't mind saying it even if it might upset everyone.
Interesting. I dont see Grohl as a classical Front man. I also dont think Foo Fighters reach am audience as wide as U2 did, but that's just my opinion.

U2 were massive globally in the 80's and 90's. I don't think the FF had the same level.

Interesting. I dont see Grohl as a classical Front man. I also dont think Foo Fighters reach am audience as wide as U2 did, but that's just my opinion.

U2 were massive globally in the 80's and 90's. I don't think the FF had the same level.

I agree with everything you said.

I was strictly talking about someone being a rockstar and I think Grohl has more of a rockstar vibe to him than Bono does.

It depends how big you want to go with the definition of big. Grohl was a member of Nirvana when they were one the biggest bands in the world and FF have been filling stadiums for the last 15 years.

The reach of rock bands has been steadily in decline as the distribution model of music changes and fans splinter into smaller groups, saying Foo Fighters weren't as globally big as U2 doesn't mean he is not a rock star, they were still plenty big. Most of the 90s bands still touring probably count as genuine global rock stars, Grohl and Eddie Vedder, Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day a tier below, Brandon Flowers of the Killers.

But with each passing year, the number of bands big enough worldwide is declining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Back