Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t think it was MMM focused initially, just some of the same band members doing less heavy material. But they definitely became blander as time went on.
I think it's a bit like INXS|U2|Coldplay. They produced great music that resonated with the current generation with a specific style and then they evolved with the pop scene and for those who like the more rock elements to the music ended up despising those bands later on.

All recent music for those bands is utter garbage.

I think you could include any band where it's fans inflate the bands popularity on the basis that it is niche or because of hipster mentality or perhaps because it's abstract.

Radio head kind of comes to mind.

Taylor Swift. I don't get how she is as big as she is. Basic pop music, every song about a guy, voice is good but not the best, her look is straight out the white girl handbook.
Clearly just makes smart business decisions, listens to the right people and stays on the straight and narrow. Went from country to pop for $. Her music is catchy but trash imo. Don't get me started on Beyonce.

Taylor Swift. I don't get how she is as big as she is. Basic pop music, every song about a guy, voice is good but not the best, her look is straight out the white girl handbook.
Clearly just makes smart business decisions, listens to the right people and stays on the straight and narrow. Went from country to pop for $. Her music is catchy but trash imo. Don't get me started on Beyonce.
I’d say they’re the exact reasons why she’s so big.

False.
Not trying to change your mind but have you listened to Folklore?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any death metal/thrash bands - all have the same gravel-voiced growling 'singer' and a drummer hitting about 5,000 bpm. Boring.
That's a little bit ignorant to say.

Name me some Death metal bands. Have you explored Folk Metal, Melodic Death metal?

The diversity of Death metal is incredibly wide and it's not all the same as you suggest. That particular comment is wrong on so many levels. Not all death metal songs have harsh vocals from start to finish. Many DM songs have components of classical music, and electronic music, and progressive rock.

It probably suggests that you haven't listened to enough DM to make an informed decision and perhaps that you're basing your opinion on a few bands.

That's a little bit ignorant to say.

Name me some Death metal bands. Have you explored Folk Metal, Melodic Death metal?

The diversity of Death metal is incredibly wide and it's not all the same as you suggest. That particular comment is wrong on so many levels. Not all death metal songs have harsh vocals from start to finish. Many DM songs have components of classical music, and electronic music, and progressive rock.

It probably suggests that you haven't listened to enough DM to make an informed decision and perhaps that you're basing your opinion on a few bands.
That's a bit ignorant to say.

I've been listening to music for over 50 years. I've heard more than enough thrash/death metal to last me a lifetime. It is the only genre of music that has no redeeming features for me whatsoever (unless I'm in the mood for wall of noise/ambient chaos).

I have a massive CD/cassette/vinyl collection and listen to classical, jazz, sacred, pop, rock, reggae, dub, world, electronic, avant-garde and anything else you might care to mention as well as having played in an orchestra myself.

I would suggest you probably haven't listened to enough of other genres to make an informed opinion on how woeful DM is. I don't care if it includes components of whatever - that doesn't make it good. The only criteria I ever apply to music is: Does it move me? DM has never moved me... except to vomit.

Each to their own, however.

My objection to Plant is not that he was the weakest link, though he was. To my ear his voice and the production of his voice ruined many a song. Kashmir an example. I also note that when his voice his is recessed in production, especially in the early albums, it can work well. The joy for me with Led Zep is the rythym section, and how it meshes with the guitar, and Pages production values.

The funny thing about Robert Plant - and I agree his voice deteriorated badly while he was with Led Zep - is that his solo career seems overlooked nowadays.

Which is funny, because his was actually quite successful, and by the 80s he had accepted his vocal limitations (Burning Down One Side sounds a little cringe, but his vocal work on Big Log suits the song perfectly).

The funny thing about Robert Plant - and I agree his voice deteriorated badly while he was with Led Zep - is that his solo career seems overlooked nowadays.

Which is funny, because his was actually quite successful, and by the 80s he had accepted his vocal limitations (Burning Down One Side sounds a little cringe, but his vocal work on Big Log suits the song perfectly).
Yes, Plant Krauss, and Mighty Rearranger, his voice is marvellous, aged, world worn, beautiful. He has learnt to restrain and measure the moment.

That's a bit ignorant to say.

I've been listening to music for over 50 years. I've heard more than enough thrash/death metal to last me a lifetime. It is the only genre of music that has no redeeming features for me whatsoever (unless I'm in the mood for wall of noise/ambient chaos).

I have a massive CD/cassette/vinyl collection and listen to classical, jazz, sacred, pop, rock, reggae, dub, world, electronic, avant-garde and anything else you might care to mention as well as having played in an orchestra myself.

I would suggest you probably haven't listened to enough of other genres to make an informed opinion on how woeful DM is. I don't care if it includes components of whatever - that doesn't make it good. The only criteria I ever apply to music is: Does it move me? DM has never moved me... except to vomit.

Each to their own, however.
I listen to most genres. And have over 500 vinyl albums in my collection.

I love classical, electronic, folk, country and dance just as much as death metal.

iirc your narrow statement on the components of death metal were blatantly incorrect
Any death metal/thrash bands - all have the same gravel-voiced growling 'singer' and a drummer hitting about 5,000 bpm. Boring.

What you said does not represent the full spectrum of death metal. I know a crap load of songs that share clean, semi harsh and harsh vocals with progressive rock elements, classical components, solos, key aspects of classical music such as off beat notes, trills, pauses, tempo changes and more.

Your words were clear, and they are incorrect

Death Metal vocals can give me the giggles sometimes if I'm being honest however there's certainly musicianship I can appreciate in the genre, as for Thrash I've converted Jazz snobs to it just playing them early Megadeth albums with Gar & Poland it's as plain as day the Jazz Fusion influence.

The vocals are the one thing that turns me off death metal. I can appreciate the talents of the drummers, guitarists etc. but I just can't stomach the vocals.

For that reason, I do quite enjoy instrumental death metal.

The vocals are the one thing that turns me off death metal. I can appreciate the talents of the drummers, guitarists etc. but I just can't stomach the vocals.

The problem is that there's no real melody in death metal. At least thrash metal retains some melodic elements.

I also dislike black metal. Underproduction + abrasive vocals + surprisingly mediocre musicianship isn't a great combination. And that's not getting into the extracurricular activities of some of those bands.

And that is a perfectly valid reason and I respect that. To make a sweeping statement saying that all death metal is the same is another thing.

If you compare the following bands that I'm very fond of. None of them feature straight up harsh vocals of which would lack diversity within the song. They all undergo reasonable transitions from progressive rock/classical to Harsh vocals, some semi harsh vocals. Personally I find the longer harmonic vocals better than say AC/DC type vocals. This is why I love Death Metal just as much as Progressive Rock and why I'm not particularly of certain genres such as Punk Rock, Thrash, and Screamo WHEN there lacks diversity and progression throughout the song.

DaRick are you kidding me. No melodic components in death metal. There's an entire genre called Melodic Death Metal. Extra curricular activiies??? Are you on about? How many bands out there from all genre are doing ****ed up shit like Oasis

Putrascension

Meshuggah

Septecflesh (This song features with an orchestra, and gives off movie soundtrack themes/superman etc)

Carach Angren

Ne Obliviscaris

Deadspace

Bloodred Hourglass

Rotting Christ

It's like saying all piano music is the same with some guy just hitting a bunch of keys, ignoring all of the technical components that go with it, the key, the tempo etc.

Last edited:
These are probably examples of straight up Death Metal with minimal harmony and little influence from other genres such as Progressive Rock. I'd say it's more of a heavy/Classic rock with death metal vocals. I don't mind it but it's not as nice as the other ones. That's the thing about any genre. They're all very wide genres not specific.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Back