-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the quote.

I found it quirky and interesting overall. Quite forgiving greens in terms of backstops. Nothing really stood out to me.
dog legs with blind shots provide interest but overall i think it would give people the shits.

fairways have suffered with the poor weather and some alien intrusion into the grass which has been dealt with. Looks off colour but imo its dormant which is what grass does in winter. so did not find it a problem at all.

would play again.

Agreed with the final hole. Standing on the fairway i thought hey its kinda like The Australian GC. Then remembered Oz doesnt have that elevated green. In fact the only similarities was bunkers on the hole and the cluhouse to the left. and green grass. yeah its not the same.

i can see many many players thinning or overhitting the green and smacking into those on the practice green.

In close to 40 years of playing the course I have never seen anyone go long enough to make the practice green - even the old one which was closer and to the left. The only possibility would be by taking about 4 clubs too many or maybe catastrophically thinning a bunker shot.

I have seen my late father collect a tee ball on the full to the back on the dogleg 4th! Not sure how you define a dogleg, but other than 4, 7 and 8, not sure there are any others?

To my mind, there would only be one blind approach on the whole course - 6. Maybe 4, 7 and 14 if you make a poor tee shot - which means you probably can’t make the green anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In close to 40 years of playing the course I have never seen anyone go long enough to make the practice green - even the old one which was closer and to the left. The only possibility would be by taking about 4 clubs too many or maybe catastrophically thinning a bunker shot.

I have seen my late father collect a tee ball on the full to the back on the dogleg 4th! Not sure how you define a dogleg, but other than 4, 7 and 8, not sure there are any others?

To my mind, there would only be one blind approach on the whole course - 6. Maybe 4, 7 and 14 if you make a poor tee shot - which means you probably can’t make the green anyway.

You make valid points. I may have overestimated the number of blind or dog legs. But I felt it during the round which of course can be attributed to lack of course knowledge.

Making the practice green is a possibility. It is via a thinnin shot for sure. Again it was the feels being right side before the bunkers that created this aura.

Beautifully maintained, can’t fault it.
The 18th is possibly the worst finishing hole I’ve played anywhere….hitting up to a green 20-30mts??? Above the fairway. Some of the sideways sloping fairways could be improved, but quite a few really good holes as well.
You can only work with the land you have so in general it’s a pretty good course, Portsea is better (layout wise) imo.
Sorry I’m not peternorth 🤭

Don’t play Augusta. You’ll hate that finish. I am a biased fan of the 18th. Plenty of risk-reward for long hitters, one of the few par 4s on the course that require a long iron approach- which is actually a weakness of the course in general given it’s shortness. The tee box tries to send you right - which just illustrates an evil of course architecture. And the view of it from the clubhouse is awesome. Pretty tough not to have an elevated first tee and 18th green when you (logically) build the clubhouse on the highest point of the course.

Probably liked the course a bit more when P Thomson was in charge of the architecture - it’s easier nowadays with a lot of the rough being cleaned up. But given the members are generally old duffers, I can see the reasoning in making it easier, or “more playable”, as they say.

BTW, if you prefer Portsea, there’s a decent little shack currently up for sale that overlooks the 4th green/5th tee. Although it is one of the many dumb modern builds down there that didn’t consider(or thought it could overcome) the prevailing Southerly.

Can never see how people prefer Portsea. It is in lesser condition, doesn’t have a practice fairway, etc. Was a shame the merger failed.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the clubhouse at Sorrento. Beautiful and historical mix.

The driving range was good enough for a warm up. Could be better but given the land and location where else could it go? So work with it and use it. Could be much worse ie yarra. But ultimately you just need an area where you can stand and swing a club. Could imagine it being a tricky station during club champs with the volume of players.

I really enjoyed the clubhouse at Sorrento. Beautiful and historical mix.

The driving range was good enough for a warm up. Could be better but given the land and location where else could it go? So work with it and use it. Could be much worse ie yarra. But ultimately you just need an area where you can stand and swing a club. Could imagine it being a tricky station during club champs with the volume of players.

Good spot - the committee is about to announce an overhaul of the practice fairway. Definitely a weakness of the course - in terms of length and the ordinary look of the landing area. There’s also a second, rarely used, practice area that goes across the 18th fairway. Where you can hit shots up to 120 metres using your own balls.

Striking the ball so well at the moment, but silly mistakes not allowing me to get the rewards. Off 19 at the moment; Sunday at Marangaroo was 3 over after 7, then a 9 on the 8th followed by a double after a lost ball off the tee on the Par 5 9th. 11 over at the turn, disappointed, but confident I could get back on track. Kept it to 15 over with 1 hole to play. Quadruple bogey for a 19 over.
Next day at Sun City, much tougher course. Nothing worse than a double, 70% of fairways, playing consistent draws with irons, woods and driver for the first time ever. 5 3 putts and 39 putts total for 18 over.
Wembley in a PGN comp today, hopefully it all comes together.

Good spot - the committee is about to announce an overhaul of the practice fairway. Definitely a weakness of the course - in terms of length and the ordinary look of the landing area. There’s also a second, rarely used, practice area that goes across the 18th fairway. Where you can hit shots up to 120 metres using your own balls.

Using own balls on a driving range? An interesting concept. i cant picture where that is. is that to the left of the tee box?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After a great last round, I parred my first two holes last night and felt like Scotty Sch. Stood on the tee on 12and decided I should try and hit a draw (I can’t), doubles the easiest par 5 on the course. Greens have been cored so I’ll use that excuse for some missed putts. Overall, ball striking is good and my chipping is still excellent. Just got to make better decisions.

Royal H has two practice fairways. One for range balls, the other for members to hit their own.
hit your own, say 8 iron and go fetch?

PK has a short game area where own balls are used. That's somewhere in the realm of 50m-70m depending on which green

Remove this Banner Ad

Golf Your latest Round?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back