Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

All being well I'll be seeing La Dispute and Balance and Composure at the Corner Hotel. I really think the venue will suit this kind of performance.
The Corner suits that mode of bumping into horrible pricks, paying $9 for their cheapest beer, and having massive poles in the way of a stage that's poorly structured and pointed out from a corner.

Don't get the love. Melburnians just love anything they're conditioned to.

The Corner suits that mode of bumping into horrible pricks, paying $9 for their cheapest beer, and having massive poles in the way of a stage that's poorly structured and pointed out from a corner.

Don't get the love. Melburnians just love anything they're conditioned to.
Don't you dare Badmouth those poles in this city.

I don't know, I guess it's more romanticism as to why I like The Corner because of good memories. It was one of the few pubs that had "All Ages Gigs" so it may be rose tinted glasses.

Woah. Hold on a minute SA. You mentioned in another thread you've only been going to gigs the grand total of... 3 years? And you also said you need skittles after a gig (<3 and that's really cute by the way <3), so I mean, I can see you're really young... but did you mean to say John Lennon didn't 'make good songs'?

Dude. Seriously. Lennon was like 24 when he did this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xL1ffMlzKY

And that's in 19-****ing-66 before anyone knew what a tape loop or a flanger was.

In the next four odd years- more or less putting him at the age this Alex Turner is now (whoever he is), the Beatles made Sgt. Peppers, Let It Be, Abbey Road, The Beatles/White Album, Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour.

Please tell me you're trolling!

Except he doesn't beat his girlfriend, has girlfriends who aren't arseholes, makes good songs, has a stage presence, and is a decent working class lad.

Great show though.

Edit: I have no idea what my next shows will be. Hard Ons or Nicky Siano probably :)

Last edited:
Woah. Hold on a minute SA. You mentioned in another thread you've only been going to gigs the grand total of... 3 years? And you also said you need skittles after a gig (<3 and that's really cute by the way <3), so I mean, I can see you're really young... but did you mean to say John Lennon didn't 'make good songs'?

Dude. Seriously. Lennon was like 24 when he did this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xL1ffMlzKY

And that's in 19-*******-66 before anyone knew what a tape loop or a flanger was.

In the next four odd years- more or less putting him at the age this Alex Turner is now (whoever he is), the Beatles made Sgt. Peppers, Let It Be, Abbey Road, The Beatles/White Album, Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour.

Please tell me you're trolling!

Edit: I have no idea what my next shows will be. Hard Ons or Nicky Siano probably :)
How does your gig experience tie in to anything relating to the Beatles/AM comparisons? It's just the most baffling, pointless comparison ever. It's just ludicrous fawning. Why does a successful band have to be held up to another one from yesteryear as some kind of barometer of their own goodness?

And that's just, like, your opinion man. The Beatles aren't that phenomenal and the people who refuse to hear otherwise are usually the most boring music 'fans' imaginable.

The Kinks had more than two good albums though.

I like Alex Turner, but he's not a natural songwriter and for the most part he hides under a heap of wordplay and directed one liners because his songs really aren't that profound. Ray Davies had that innate ability to construct songs that resonated despite being fairly ubiquitous and I could honestly listen to Village Green for days because of how remarkably astute, and strangely enough, how instantly relatable it is.

How does your gig experience tie in to anything relating to the Beatles/AM comparisons?
It's just the most baffling, pointless comparison ever. It's just ludicrous fawning. Why does a successful band have to be held up to another one from yesteryear as some kind of barometer of their own goodness?
What? I wouldn't compare the Beatles "goodness" to anyone else's "goodness", and besides; they're two completely different bands. All I'm trying to do is figure out how anyone in their sane mind can say John Lennon didn't make good songs. Like them or not, the Beatles brilliance is irrefutable, and their influence on music cannot be understated. I'm saying that and I'm not even a particularly big fan of theirs. You know you can actually be objective about music, right?

And that's just, like, your opinion man. The Beatles aren't that phenomenal and the people who refuse to hear otherwise are usually the most boring music 'fans' imaginable.
Wrong on both counts. The Beatles are phenomenal. And the most boring music fans are people who listen to the Shins and The National. Horrible people.

The Kinks had more than two good albums though.

I like Alex Turner, but he's not a natural songwriter and for the most part he hides under a heap of wordplay and directed one liners because his songs really aren't that profound. Ray Davies had that innate ability to construct songs that resonated despite being fairly ubiquitous and I could honestly listen to Village Green for days because of how remarkably astute, and strangely enough, how instantly relatable it is.
Spot on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What? I wouldn't compare the Beatles "goodness" to anyone else's "goodness", and besides; they're two completely different bands. All I'm trying to do is figure out how anyone in their sane mind can say John Lennon didn't make good songs. Like them or not, the Beatles brilliance is irrefutable, and their influence on music cannot be understated. I'm saying that and I'm not even a particularly big fan of theirs. You know you can actually be objective about music, right?

Wrong on both counts. The Beatles are phenomenal. And the most boring music fans are people who listen to the Shins and The National. Horrible people.

Growing up I always thought The Beatles were lame and and completely unobtrusive, but as I've got older I've grown to love them a bit. I guess as a kid I always associated them with Let It Be and Hey Jude and I Am The Walrus and never really looked into their discography.

To me, they are a band you have to discover on your own. My old man was into some good bands (as well as some awful ones) but, unlike other kids, he never really showed me much Beatles stuff. I reckon kids my age who grew up with The Beatles would not only have those nostalgic childhood favourites, but also room to develop their own special tracks over time, which hold some personal significance to them.

I start getting kind of attached to some of their tracks. They're fairly addictive in their own way.

I blasted Because like ten times in a row last week.

So yeh, Johnny L is a champ, you heck Silent Alarm.

Sure, there's a degree of objectivity when it comes to art but that objectivity is always made by setting and situation. But to say "yeah I don't like the Beatles but they're awesome" is just insane and totally contradictory. I mean of course their cultural significance was huge and it hangs around now. They inspired lots of bands. They were integral to music history. They mean a lot. But I'm not going to say the Beatles are a great band because I don't really get them or like them – but I will say and do say that they're a meaningful and integral band. Just not that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, there's a degree of objectivity when it comes to art but that objectivity is always made by setting and situation. But to say "yeah I don't like the Beatles but they're awesome" is just insane and totally contradictory. I mean of course their cultural significance was huge and it hangs around now. They inspired lots of bands. They were integral to music history. They mean a lot. But I'm not going to say the Beatles are a great band because I don't really get them or like them – but I will say and do say that they're a meaningful and integral band. Just not that good.

Doesn't have to be when when one can be objective as you say.

There are plenty of quality artists over musical genres I haven't got an ear for but can admire them without ever caring to "get into" the sound.

You're completely wrong. I don't like Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, but I can't say they're not good.

Same with Arctic Monkeys, actually. Great band, decent live, doesn't mean I like them.

Incidentally AM have covered the Beatles' songs on more than one occasion (... but I"m sure you know this already).

Sorry for derailing the thread everyone :/

Anyone going to or have any opinions on the upcoming Queen thing? Was going to get tickets to the Rod Laver show but had second thoughts when I got to the ticket page on the website.

Saw British India tonight in Canberra, was a pretty awesome gig. Have never really listened to them but they put on a good live show. Admittedly them playing a small venue and at a gig where there was free piss (thanks Coopers!) probably made them seem better then they were, but it was still a lot of fun.

Saw British India tonight in Canberra, was a pretty awesome gig. Have never really listened to them but they put on a good live show. Admittedly them playing a small venue and at a gig where there was free piss (thanks Coopers!) probably made them seem better then they were, but it was still a lot of fun.
Yep, definitely would've been the free piss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back