Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

Beautiful night watching Archie Roach at the Fremantle Arts Centre last night.

25 years since Charcoal Lane and he played all ten tracks accompanied by another guitarist and Lucky Oceans on slide, plus Lucky on piano accordion for No, No, No.

Lucky interviewed him between tracks and he told the story of how many of them came about. They are clearly good friends and it was more like we were watching a couple of mates catch up. Archie has trouble with his lungs these days and was often out of breath during the interviews, but then sang beautifully every song.

Just a beautiful occasion, if a bit sad at seeing how frail Archie seemed at times.
Did he play River Of Tears?

I saw her on Thursday and I have to agree with all of the above, except about not liking her as a person. I think she's very genuine and authentic to who she is. But that's just what I think. Could be wrong.

As a live performer she's right up there with the best I've seen (Springsteen and Coldplay) in that it was just a completely fun, liberating night that makes you forget everything else going on and just focus on the experience. She's incredibly talented, you can tell she loves performing and is having fun herself. Add in the great vibe in the crowd, the wide range of ages, genders and levels of superfan, and it was just a really great night.

Took some shots as I do:

Taylor Swift - 1989 World Tour Melbourne

How did Vance Joy go?

Vance Joy was pretty bad. He's a bit gay and boring as a person, constantly talking about how chuffed he was. I mean sometimes that's so endearing and it makes you want to start a band tomorrow, but he just seemed very phoned-in – it wasn't inspiring to hear, it was actually sycophantic almost from him.

And all his songs sound the same. Jesus.

Vance Joy was pretty bad. He's a bit gay and boring as a person, constantly talking about how chuffed he was. I mean sometimes that's so endearing and it makes you want to start a band tomorrow, but he just seemed very phoned-in – it wasn't inspiring to hear, it was actually sycophantic almost from him.

And all his songs sound the same. Jesus.

There's a word for people like you mate. Homophobic.

Saw ed Sheeran last weekend. He was ok not the best concert I went too but not the worst.

Next concert for me will be in March 16 when Madonna hits Australia for the first time since 1993. Hopefully Madonna lives upto my expectations

I saw Taylor Swift last night.

Had better speeches than Kanye and the stadium was pretty spectacular all night, everyone had these glowing wristbands... made for some cool imagery and photos.

I don't like her as a person. She's very false and contrived, she just doesn't seem authentic at all. But you see her in a space like that and you can understand why she's so big. Great theatrics but just tune after tune – she has written so many good pop songs.

She was just a real performer, obviously she's honed it well but man, she knows what to do. It's definitely worth the $130 seating tickets alone. You can tell she's at the absolute peak of her game, and it feels great to see someone who really is the zeitgeist and in their prime. It's something you can remember for a long time – that time you saw Taylor Swift when she sold 90,000 tickets in Melbourne.

Cruyff14 how did you find it?

I went to Taylor Swift on Friday night too. Having also seen her on her Speak Now and Red tours, it's interesting what you say about her performance. It's true that her speeches can seem a bit contrived, but I think they are coming from a good place. She's done it all throughout her career, and there's people in that audience that really take those words to heart and are inspired by it. I'm personally not in that group of people, but it all helps her relate to her audience, so I think it will always be a part of her show.

The Speak Now Tour probably felt a bit more authentic than 1989. It was less of a pure pop show, and a bit more of just Taylor and her band. There were still dancers though, so it was a great mix between the both. She did a couple of speeches, and seemed quite genuine during them.

Red Tour I enjoyed as well, but a bit less so than Speak Now Tour. To me it seemed as though her speeches were starting to become a bit more contrived, and one or two dragged on a bit too long for my taste. Still an awesome show, lots of theatrics and a great atmosphere, but was definitely my least favourite. Although it probably doesn't help that Red is my least favourite album of hers.

1989 was an excellent show all round, but to me the true highlight was when she was up high on that stage doing her acoustic set. I think she's at her absolute best when it's just her and her guitar. The theatrics are great, but I honestly don't think she needs them. The audience was completely captivated during that section of the show, arguably even more so than during some other parts.

Overall I think my favourite show of hers was Speak Now, just edging out 1989. And I think I've rambled on far too much about T-Swift for one night.

Last edited:
I went to Taylor Swift on Friday night too. Having also seen her on her Speak Now and Red tours, it's interesting what you say about her performance. It's true that her speeches can seem a bit contrived, but I think they are coming from a good place. She's done it all throughout her career, and there's people in that audience that really take those words to heart and are inspired by it. I'm personally not in that group of people, but it all helps her relate to her audience, so I think it will always be a part of her show.

The Speak Now Tour probably felt a bit more authentic than 1989. It was less of a pure pop show, and a bit more of just Taylor and her band. There were still dancers though, so it was a great mix between the both. She did a couple of speeches, and seemed quite genuine during them.

Red Tour I enjoyed as well, but a bit less so than Speak Now Tour. To me it seemed as though her speeches were starting to become a bit more contrived, and one or two dragged on a bit too long for my taste. Still an awesome show, lots of theatrics and a great atmosphere, but was definitely my least favourite. Although it probably doesn't help that Red is my least favourite album of hers.

1989 was an excellent show all round, but to me the true highlight was when she was up high on that stage doing her acoustic set. I think she's at her absolute best when it's just her and her guitar. The theatrics are great, but I honestly don't think she needs them. The audience was completely captivated during that section of the show, arguably even more so than during some other parts.

Overall I think my favourite show of hers was Speak Now, just edging out 1989. And I think I've rambled on far too much about T-Swift for one night.
It's impossible to ramble on too much about Taylor Swift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't go see a pop star if they played a set like an indie band. It's alright seeing someone down the Corner, you know, just them singing and having a few default lights crossing the stage, but when you see a bonafide superstar like her, you expect it to be massive. You want to see the touts selling their fake t-shirts out the front, the droves of different people, the wristbands that light up, the stadium in colour, fireworks... that's the allure of a pop concert: it's so rare you see a massive show, and considering the way pop artists are and our own tastes, it is very rare to actually be interested in seeing one of these shows.

How terrible and funny was the "Mellllborrrrrrrne!" during the "boys only want love if it's torture... MELBOURNE... boys only want love if it's torture... MELBOOOOOORRRNE!" bit? So good!

I wouldn't go see a pop star if they played a set like an indie band. It's alright seeing someone down the Corner, you know, just them singing and having a few default lights crossing the stage, but when you see a bonafide superstar like her, you expect it to be massive. You want to see the touts selling their fake t-shirts out the front, the droves of different people, the wristbands that light up, the stadium in colour, fireworks... that's the allure of a pop concert: it's so rare you see a massive show, and considering the way pop artists are and our own tastes, it is very rare to actually be interested in seeing one of these shows.

How terrible and funny was the "Mellllborrrrrrrne!" during the "boys only want love if it's torture... MELBOURNE... boys only want love if it's torture... MELBOOOOOORRRNE!" bit? So good!

Yeah that is true I guess, the whole pop concert production is definitely to be expected from a star as big as her. As long as she keeps doing acoustic sets during that big production, I'll be happy.

I didn't actually mind that "MELBOURNE!" bit. It was kind of funny I guess, but I thought it added to the moment, was a cool little bit. At least "MELBOURNE!!" actually works in with the beat. She did that for every city on the tour, and I'm wondering what she did with cities with longer names. I'm sure she played in at least one city where the name just wouldn't work.

Yeah that is true I guess, the whole pop concert production is definitely to be expected from a star as big as her. As long as she keeps doing acoustic sets during that big production, I'll be happy.

I didn't actually mind that "MELBOURNE!" bit. It was kind of funny I guess, but I thought it added to the moment, was a cool little bit. At least "MELBOURNE!!" actually works in with the beat. She did that for every city on the tour, and I'm wondering what she did with cities with longer names. I'm sure she played in at least one city where the name just wouldn't work.
"SAN DIEGO"

4 syllables. Would've been awkward.

She's releasing a concert film of the entire Sydney show plus backstage stuff and the special guests she's had, comes out on Sunday. Can't wait.

"SAN DIEGO"

4 syllables. Would've been awkward.

She's releasing a concert film of the entire Sydney show plus backstage stuff and the special guests she's had, comes out on Sunday. Can't wait.

Yep. I went through the the list of cities she played and "EAST RUTHERFORD" is another awkward one. I can't wait for the concert film either. Does Taylor have a thread on here? I've searched but can't seem to find anything, if there isn't one I might start one, rather than taking over this thread.

Yep. I went through the the list of cities she played and "EAST RUTHERFORD" is another awkward one. I can't wait for the concert film either. Does Taylor have a thread on here? I've searched but can't seem to find anything, if there isn't one I might start one, rather than taking over this thread.
Not yet. Good idea actually. Go for it. Unless you want me to so I cop the inevitable hate the thread will cop :p

I saw Taylor Swift last night.

Had better speeches than Kanye and the stadium was pretty spectacular all night, everyone had these glowing wristbands... made for some cool imagery and photos.

I don't like her as a person. She's very false and contrived, she just doesn't seem authentic at all. But you see her in a space like that and you can understand why she's so big. Great theatrics but just tune after tune – she has written so many good pop songs.

She was just a real performer, obviously she's honed it well but man, she knows what to do. It's definitely worth the $130 seating tickets alone. You can tell she's at the absolute peak of her game, and it feels great to see someone who really is the zeitgeist and in their prime. It's something you can remember for a long time – that time you saw Taylor Swift when she sold 90,000 tickets in Melbourne.

Cruyff14 how did you find it?

Taylor Swift - good god! I've never been able to listen to pop music.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back