Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome re-signing

Age saying over $800k, makes me think it might be a front loaded deal to make room for some of the young guns coming through in a few years

Happy with it. He's our most important player and the next captain. Think he's missed 7 or 8 senior games since he was drafted, so very durable.

I can understand your enthusiasm and excitement, but still 6 years is a long time. I suppose if his contract is front or back loaded, it gives you more room to maneuver in the SC though.

I can understand your enthusiasm and excitement, but still 6 years is a long time. I suppose if his contract is front or back loaded, it gives you more room to maneuver in the SC though.
Were you equally concerned about the 5 year deals handed to Williams and Saad?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parish's price keeps going up. Could be a bit of a squeeze soon. I wouldn't wanna be paying Package too much to be honest.

Squeeze? Seriously? Merrett would have added $200-250k a year tops to his salary.

Saad, Daniher, McKenna and Fantasia left the club last year. That's probably close to $2m in cap. We brought in 2MP, Caldwell and Hind - there's probably close to $1m in difference. Hooker is out of a big contract at the end of the year. Hurley is out of a big contract at the end of next year.

The only squeeze will be how many FAs can we squeeze in given we'd have paid 95% of the cap last year and have an extra $M or two to throw at them

He's 25. It's not that much. Takes him to 31. I think he's only missed 10 games in his career.

Like others have mentioned I think he may have gone for more years on less money than the reverse. Which is a great move for Merrett and the club.

For those questioning the length, yes its a risk. EFC fans shouldn't disregard that. But the alternative was to lose a player worth two good firsts for a single one. I'll take the risk over length any day.

For those questioning the length, yes its a risk. EFC fans shouldn't disregard that. But the alternative was to lose a player worth two good firsts for a single one. I'll take the risk over length any day.
I think it's okay to have a couple of veterans on the list, we don't have to have an age policy of no long term contracts past the age of 30.

If we had more than 2-3 in the over 30 category for 2027 6 years in advance I'd be worried, but he's the only one and no one else is even signed beyond 2024 atm. 🤷‍♀️

Those questioning the length are just embarrassed about their own

He leaves, outsiders question things. He stays and you all still question the deal. Can't win haha!

I couldn't think of a more worthy or durable player in the past ten or so years that Essendon has seen than Zach to give this length of a deal. There's risk with all contracts, but this one feels appropriate for a player like Zach. There are far more questionable deals/contract lengths then this one and just like most have already said, the stats/numbers behind Merrett's rise to being one of the most elite mids in the game are there to prove this deal is worth everything + so much more. Delusional take if you think the length of contract + price isn't worth every cent to retaining him at Essendon, especially considering there would be 17 other clubs who would let this guy walk into their club and midfield if they could. This is as big of a resigning as Essendon has arguably ever had. Incredibly happy with this and I'm very much ok about the length of the deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back