Zuma's Neil Young Top 50 to 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Song 35 - Four Strong Winds - Comes a Time - 1978

As a child Neil would play this grand old Canadian song by Ian and Sylvia Tyson on the jukebox over and over and in 1978 he covered the song with the late Nicolette Larson for his "Comes a Time" album.

The lyrics are as enduring as a Canadian winter and Neil sung it so well with Nicolette. The song garnered huge airplay and was performed, sometimes with then wife Peggi on many occasions such as Farm Aid and Live 8 as one of the greatest Canadian songs ever written.

"If the good times are all gone, and were bound for moving on, I'll look for you if I'm ever back this way"

Here is Neil and Nicolette's version

Neil and Willie :)

Song 35 - Four Strong Winds - Comes a Time - 1978

As a child Neil would play this grand old Canadian song by Ian and Sylvia Tyson on the jukebox over and over and in 1978 he covered the song with the late Nicolette Larson for his "Comes a Time" album.

The lyrics are as enduring as a Canadian winter and Neil sung it so well with Nicolette. The song garnered huge airplay and was performed, sometimes with then wife Peggi on many occasions such as Farm Aid and Live 8 as one of the greatest Canadian songs ever written.

"If the good times are all gone, and were bound for moving on, I'll look for you if I'm ever back this way"

Here is Neil and Nicolette's version

Neil and Willie :)

voice gets better as he gets older on this track for sure

Song 34 - Walk Like A Giant - Psychedelic Pill - 2012

I used to walk like a giant on the land
Now I feel like a leaf floating in a stream

Neil and the Horse unleash this loud, defiant, lumbering epic in 2012 along with a second epic jam Ramada Inn which served the Psychedelic Pill album just as well as Cowgirl In The Sand and Down By The River served the band's debut album, Everybody Know's This Is Nowhere.

The song can be interpreted as fighting hard to make a difference against things that are so hard to change but falling just short. Going in with dutch courage only to come out the other side unfulfilled and somewhat resigned to defeat. Communities vs Big Corporations. Activists vs Politicians, etc...

The song for the best part of 20 minutes features Neil's trademark guitar work, doomed whistling, Neil and the Horse with drums and feedback simulating loud thundering steps of giants which closes out a triumphant jam.

Some fans believe that with time this song will be remembered with the best of Neil and the Horses epic electric journeys.

Song 33 - War of Man - Harvest Moon - 1992

"No one wins, its a war of maaan" great lyrics, nice melody and vocal and some of his best acoustic guitar playing War of Man is an absolute gem from Neil's celebrated Harvest Moon album. Whilst the title track is more known it is War of Man that shines the brightest for me.

Ears ringin' from the battle fire,
The tired warrior aims a little higher,
The black falcon or the little sparrow,
The healing light or the flash of the barrel

Song 32 - Change Your Mind - Sleeps With Angels - 1994

The truly transcendent Change Your Mind, is NY&CH's stunning centerpiece of their heartfelt Sleeps With Angels album. SWA was far from their blazing grunge rocking epic of 1990's Ragged Glory, it had incredible depth, soul and profoud sadness surrounding it, not too dissimilar to Neil's ditch trilogy run of albums in the mid 70's. The album was released in the wake of Kurt Cobain's suicide and is a revaluation of the frailty of life with Neil and the Horse experimenting with different instruments and styles all culminating into a great album.

Change Your Mind kicks off with a down to business riff and for a near 14 minute song has great melodic hooks, solo's, tempo changes as it chugs along. Neil uses repetitious lyrics to great effect

Destroying you
(change your mind)
Embracing you
(change your mind)
Protecting you
(change your mind)
Confining you
(change your mind)
Distracting you
(change your mind)
Supporting you
(change your mind)
Distorting you
(change your mind)
Controlling you

There was a great band performance video of this song recorded around the time of the songs release. If you have never heard this tune before I recommend you experience it, beware it acts like a pop song in that it will be with you long after you immerse yourself

Song 32 - Looking for a Love - Zuma - 1975

Neil assembled the new incarnation of Crazy Horse with Poncho replacing the late Danny Whitten along with producer David Briggs for a wild and free recording sessions in Neil's place on the beach. Lookin For A Love is a unique NY&CH in that it's a breezy country number with bright chiming guitars almost unheard of from Neil Young at the time and maybe since. It's a real singalong song, a real country effort with a lonely and contemplative Neil lookin for a love that's right for me still searching for that Heart of Gold. The harmony singing is unbelievably good on this song, it is catchy as hell and a real bright and cheery song from what was a dark and serious period in Neil Young's personal and musical life.

and dusted off live this year with Willie Nelson's sons

Song 32 - Change Your Mind - Sleeps With Angels - 1994

The truly transcendent Change Your Mind, is NY&CH's stunning centerpiece of their heartfelt Sleeps With Angels album. SWA was far from their blazing grunge rocking epic of 1990's Ragged Glory, it had incredible depth, soul and profoud sadness surrounding it, not too dissimilar to Neil's ditch trilogy run of albums in the mid 70's. The album was released in the wake of Kurt Cobain's suicide and is a revaluation of the frailty of life with Neil and the Horse experimenting with different instruments and styles all culminating into a great album.

Change Your Mind kicks off with a down to business riff and for a near 14 minute song has great melodic hooks, solo's, tempo changes as it chugs along. Neil uses repetitious lyrics to great effect

Destroying you
(change your mind)
Embracing you
(change your mind)
Protecting you
(change your mind)
Confining you
(change your mind)
Distracting you
(change your mind)
Supporting you
(change your mind)
Distorting you
(change your mind)
Controlling you

There was a great band performance video of this song recorded around the time of the songs release. If you have never heard this tune before I recommend you experience it, beware it acts like a pop song in that it will be with you long after you immerse yourself

What a ripping clip. One of the very best tubes of neil out there. Perfect sound, perfect vibe. Wow! Love this song a ton. Where do i start?That vintage neil guitar drive through the verses. He had done it a million times before, but with that melody! Just like the whole album.. spooky, but beautiful. All sorts of NY guitar noodles that i love.. its all here. The atmospheric with the improvisation to that classic perfect 'just enough fuzz on it' tone towards the end there. Really love that very beatles poppy moment to leading into the chorus. Its a great change up. Whole band is fire tbh. Great harmonies, great playing. Great song. 10/10

Typo on the previous song - Looking For a Love was song 31 :D

Song 30 - Expecting to Fly - Buffalo Springfield Again - 1967

It was the summer of love with The Beatles revolutionary "Sgt Pepper's" meanwhile Neil Young, riding high with Buffalo Springfield, creates this majestic piece of music with the remarkable Jack Nitzchke producing and providing the string section and oboe. I am not sure of the popularity of the track at the time but as the years have progressed it has been featured in several movies, including Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Neil sounds like he is still finding his voice, it sounds so young and almost vulnerable especially contrasted with the epicness of the music. Personally this song sends the chills down my spine, it has that something, and was signalling that this young Canadian was spreading his wings and working his way to great acclaim and super stardom with his own songs on his own terms

Last edited:
Doubt it will make your top 30 but for such a lame decade for many artists I heard 'touch the night' for the first time recently and thought it was great. Anyway more power to you.

Song 29 - Will To Love - American Stars n Bars - 1977

Neil had this song that he recorded by the fireplace on his acoustic guitar then used a fader and stereo vibrato to create the a dream like sound of him swimming up a stream. I'm a harpoon dodger, I can't be tamed. The song has mixed recollection by Young who is on record as proclaming it one of the his favourite records, and that he only did it once, through some suggest it was rehearsed for future sessions even a candidate for a CSNY recording. Anyway here it is, close your eyes and immerse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Song 28 - Hitchhiker - Le Noise - 2010

Neil began writing this song acoustically in the mid 70's, a tour de force of drugs, friends, enemies, the past and was left unfinished then as an older man Neil wrote the last few verses and finished off the song whilst recording with Daniel Lanois for the Le Noise album in 2010. Neil plugged in his loud and distorted White Falcon and found some killer tones. A man and his guitar.

Song 27 - Ramada Inn - Psychadelic Pill - 2012

A remarkable song for Neil and the Horse this late in the game. Set to one of Crazy Horses greatest ever studio performances the story of Ramada Inn details scenes from many a middle aged married couple all those good times, ups and downs. Seems like things are changing. The song was so good that it received attention outside Neil and the Horses loyal fanbase was ranked #5 by Rolling Stone for their best song of 2012.

The Horse stay the distance with Neil all the way and are on top of their game with harmonies on the songs line of hope Every Morning Comes The Sun

Theres resignation He just pours himself another tall one closes his eyes and says that's enough then theres She loves him so she does what she has to, she loves him so she does what she needs to. The guitar interplay between Neil and Poncho that weaves in and amongst the crashing distortion of the songs melody is beautiful in its many variations, it is what makes you want more after 17 minutes

Song 26 - Revolution Blues - On The Beach - 1974

This hopping blues rocker spooked out some people especially CSNY comrade David Crosby who played guitar on the track "don't sing about that, its not funny" he cautioned Neil. 10 million dune buggies was definitely a Charles Manson reference and Neil at the time saw the genius/madness in Charlie who he described as "real good but a bit out of control" and "a song spewer" to some record executives. Neil spews the some badass lyrics out and plays a very underrated guitar solo, I just loved his more consise and controlled blues licks around the On The Beach period.

Well, we live in a trailer at the edge of town
You never see us 'cause we don't come around.
We got twenty five rifles just to keep the population down.
But we need you now, and that's why I'm hangin' 'round.
So you be good to me and I'll be good to you,
And in this land of conditions I'm not above suspicion
I won't attack you, but I won't back you.

Well, it's so good to be here, asleep on your lawn.
Remember your guard dog? Well, I'm afraid that he's gone.
It was such a drag to hear him whining all night long.
Yes, that was me with the doves, setting them free near the factory
Where you built your computer, love.
I hope you get the connection, 'cause I can't take the rejection
I won't deceive you, I just don't believe you.

Well, I'm a barrel of laughs, with my carbine on
I keep 'em hoppin', till my ammunition's gone.
But I'm still not happy, I feel like there's something wrong.
I got the revolution blues, I see bloody fountains,
And ten million dune buggies comin' down the mountains.
Well, I hear that Laurel Canyon is full of famous stars,
But I hate them worse than lepers and I'll kill them in their cars.

Song 27 - Ramada Inn - Psychadelic Pill - 2012

A remarkable song for Neil and the Horse this late in the game. Set to one of Crazy Horses greatest ever studio performances the story of Ramada Inn details scenes from many a middle aged married couple all those good times, ups and downs. Seems like things are changing. The song was so good that it received attention outside Neil and the Horses loyal fanbase was ranked #5 by Rolling Stone for their best song of 2012.

The Horse stay the distance with Neil all the way and are on top of their game with harmonies on the songs line of hope Every Morning Comes The Sun

Theres resignation He just pours himself another tall one closes his eyes and says that's enough then theres She loves him so she does what she has to, she loves him so she does what she needs to. The guitar interplay between Neil and Poncho that weaves in and amongst the crashing distortion of the songs melody is beautiful in its many variations, it is what makes you want more after 17 minutes

Jam!
So good seeing him with the horse playing cuts of this album. He was literally scaring people away from the front.
Prob squibs expecting the harvest hits. I don't know another artist his age who could do that.. maybe dylan i guess, but for different reasons haha

superb countdown mr zuma!
Inspired by this threads greatness, i got in contact with Neils Team & BigFooty Records and i am in the process of creating a box set to compliment the thread. Me & Neil are making sure the sound of these tracks sound better than ever. The making of this boxset will also be the most eco-friendly boxset of all time. Its made only from used Fish & Chip Paper, but don't worry.. it does not compromise the quality.

Here is a preview of the Cover Art & The first side of this collection
Kl64cgs.jpg

ddlYiHC.png

More artwork leaks to come as the countdown continues..

Jam!
So good seeing him with the horse playing cuts of this album. He was literally scaring people away from the front.
Prob squibs expecting the harvest hits. I don't know another artist his age who could do that.. maybe dylan i guess, but for different reasons haha

superb countdown mr zuma!
Inspired by this threads greatness, i got in contact with Neils Team & BigFooty Records and i am in the process of creating a box set to compliment the thread. Me & Neil are making sure the sound of these tracks sound better than ever. The making of this boxset will also be the most eco-friendly boxset of all time. Its made only from used Fish & Chip Paper, but don't worry.. it does not compromise the quality.

Here is a preview of the Cover Art & The first side of this collection
Kl64cgs.jpg

ddlYiHC.png

More artwork leaks to come as the countdown continues..

Wow Jeff this is fantastic! Thought you would be busy with the album launch and pending world tour planning for the might ELO :D:D:D

25 - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - 1969

The cool and breezy title track from Neil and the Horses debut album manages to still sounds so fresh yet still sound of its time in the late 60's hitting the highway in search of the dream.

a bunch of kids in 69

a bunch of kids with a legend who is 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Zuma's Neil Young Top 50 to 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back