Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

No 1, I don’t think we are in the worst position, you can think that, I just don't.
Go through how many clubs don’t have success in their entirely.
We were the first club to take the mug of the Vic's.
We are financially successful we have our own facilities which are the envy of the AFL.
It goes on, I choose to stay positive because it make me happy, you may do what you wish.
Keep living in the past and past glory. Typical of so many of our supporters

We are financially successful widely due to the fact that we have always been successful on and off field, we are trash both on and off the field now which is somewhere we have never been as a club and won’t take long before numbers dip

Did I block this out? That's so bad!

It was rough going. I'm reliving parts of it now and it is bleak.

Before our injury crisis really kicked in for 2023 we won a single quarter against Norf, and then somehow WON against GWS despite winning only a single quarter in that game.

We put up a stoic performance against Fremantle where we won half of those quarters before succumbing to multiple injuries.

Overall we won 21 quarters for the season, less than 1 per game.

Keep living in the past and past glory. Typical of so many of our supporters

We are financially successful widely due to the fact that we have always been successful on and off field, we are trash both on and off the field now which is somewhere we have never been as a club and won’t take long before numbers dip
Mate, you have no idea. The law of probability is absolute.
What goes up must come down, to be truly successful you must first be truly unsuccessful .
This will eventually change and we will be successful again.
I don't think you grasp this idea though.

I'm also not sure how another coach does a better job with this list.

Pretty s**t position to be in

Everyone says this, and yet what we almost always see is a caretaker coach doing exactly that and having a bit of a sugar hit.

Firmly of the view that things are now baked in with Simmo.

A fresh voice and we will see an uptick in effort.

A fresh set of eyes and we will see some positional changes, some fresh energy and reinvigoration in the playing group.

The best word to describe the team under Simpson is stale.

It’s like a relationship that has run its course and now just going through the motions.

What goes up must come down, to be truly successful you must first be truly unsuccessful .

That’s true to a point, but other clubs have managed to be successful without being historically bad. There’s ebbs and troughs, and as a club we’ve been spoiled with having very few troughs, but we didn’t need to have the Mariana Trench.

No 1, I don’t think we are in the worst position, you can think that, I just don't.
Go through how many clubs don’t have success in their entirely.
We were the first club to take the mug of the Vic's.
We are financially successful we have our own facilities which are the envy of the AFL.
It goes on, I choose to stay positive because it make me happy, you may do what you wish.
Fair enough, I could probably do with a more Zen like and greatful approach like yours.

'As your team decays so do the days of our lives, lest you revel in past triumphs and current financial glories'

Maybe it will help stop me turning the footy off at 3 quarter time. Cheers.

West Coast are historically bad. Ordinarily, teams do not need to be THIS bad.

While no one can stay up forever, going down doesn’t guarantee going back up.

Richmond were bad for 35 years.

Melbourne the best part of 20 years between GF appearances.

Carlton 2002-2022

And the list goes on.

I wouldn’t underestimate the very real risk this current situation presents to the clubs long term interests on and off the field.

That’s true to a point, but other clubs have managed to be successful without being historically bad. There’s ebbs and troughs, and as a club we’ve been spoiled with having very few troughs, but we didn’t need to have the Mariana Trench.
Maybe we can look at it as "Mariana trench" bad and when we come back we are gonna be "Mount Everest good" because, as you know, we will be back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it relies on everything going right all the time and we’ve seen over the last few years that everything goes wrong much more regularly than it goes right.
That’s something I’ve suspected about Simpson for a long time.

He seems to want to put in place a singular perfect system, but it is too idealistic to provide a Plan B when other sides get the game on their terms, and too over-intellectualised to accommodate new recruits.

Hence we had these inconsistencies throughout his tenure where we look like the best team ever one week, and toothless the next.

And hence we consistently find ourselves with new players that don’t perform like they did at former clubs or at junior level, and not playing their ‘natural game’

And what I suspect has happened is that the players respect Simpson and believe his system is theoretically sound, but also know that they aren’t likely to pull it off, so they just check out emotionally as soon as the opposition start to control the game.

Maybe it’s honorable to want to implement a game plan that can win a flag rather than just be competitive enough to limit damage. But it probably relies on having a team full of established talented players for it to work?

That’s something I’ve suspected about Simpson for a long time.

He seems to want to put in place a singular perfect system, but it is too idealistic to provide a Plan B when other sides get the game on their terms, and too over-intellectualised to accommodate new recruits.

Hence we had these inconsistencies throughout his tenure where we look like the best team ever one week, and toothless the next.

And hence we consistently find ourselves with new players that don’t perform like they did at former clubs or at junior level, and not playing their ‘natural game’

And what I suspect has happened is that the players respect Simpson and believe his system is theoretically sound, but also know that they aren’t likely to pull it off, so they just check out emotionally as soon as the opposition start to control the game.

Maybe it’s honorable to want to implement a game plan that can win a flag rather than just be competitive enough to limit damage. But it probably relies on having a team full of established talented players for it to work?
A good assessment.👍

All the reasons to Sack Simpson are MUCH greater than we had sacking (resigning) Worsfold in 2013

Worsfold essentially lost the players as well and broke a shit ton of records in 2013 when we were tipped for big things. You could see he was no longer the man for the job, just like he could see it, so he left.

Simpson, a fresh face comes in with new ideas and perspective and low and behold we make a GF 2 years later, then win a flag 3 years after that.

A fresh face is good. Things have been stale for a long time and i really don't think the caretaker coach, let alone the actual replacment will have a worse record than Simpson has over the past 3 years. It's very common for the players to suddenly start cracking in once the coach gets sacked. I expect that will be the case again. We'll know at the bye how this plays out.

This is good insight and also very dangerous place for us to be.

To back up your claims, I recall 2022/23 Simpson talking about wanting to implement a game plan that is not just where the game is currently at, but actually ahead of where the game is at.

Mid 2023, he started making comments that “we are trying to coach something that is beyond us at the moment” and seemed to pull back on game style changes.

It could be that Simmo has once again tried to implement a game plan that is simply beyond the capability and experience of the list.

An overly complex game plan was also an issue cited at North that ended up resulting in Noble getting turfed.

This is good insight and also very dangerous place for us to be.

To back up your claims, I recall 2022/23 Simpson talking about wanting to implement a game plan that is not just where the game is currently at, but actually ahead of where the game is at.

Mid 2023, he started making comments that “we are trying to coach something that is beyond us at the moment” and seemed to pull back on game style changes.

It could be that Simmo has once again tried to implement a game plan that is simply beyond the capability and experience of the list.

An overly complex game plan was also an issue cited at North that ended up resulting in Noble getting turfed.
Whatever it is, it seems to be very inhibitory to player development.

Despite some obvious draft blunders, I don’t think it’s possible for us to have simply brought in a tonne of spuds in the last decade.

I’m sure a lot of these players would be / would’ve been high performers in other teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back