Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah almost any vision of it in highlights the grounds almost always empty
I went there for a finals game with a pretty big crowd and even then the atmosphere was meh at best. The suburban grounds were the best, proper feral shit and a home ground advantage. Home team would get on a run and the supporters would pound the advertising and fences around the ground, so noisy was great. Only one I never went to was Moorabbin.

Waverley was a dull soulless stadium.

I went there about 3 or 4 times and remember it having no atmosphere and always freezing cold.
I don't remember Waverley a lot perhaps the way the seating is set up, everything looks so spread. It's replacement isn't much better, I've been to plenty of soulless games at the docklands.

Talking about stadiums at the time I thought it was shit, but I remember going melbourne vs Adelaide game in 02 at optus oval. Probably only 12,000 there but on reflexion it was pretty good. I was close to the action and it felt like local footy with a big crowd, pretty good atmosphere. Probably would have been 18k at the g which is pretty dull.

Junction Oval when the Saints played there would rock . Moorabbin could get as feral as anywhere too. MCG with 15000 was as cold and soulless as anywhere too .
Always felt impossible to win at Victoria Park even when the Pies were bad. Any win there was a good win.

All the suburban grounds were tough to win at honestly, Western Oval, Windy Hill, Kardinia Park, whenever you got a win at them it felt great as a supporter. We never seemed to have that advantage at the G.

All the suburban grounds were tough to win at honestly, Western Oval, Windy Hill, Kardinia Park, whenever you got a win at them it felt great as a supporter. We never seemed to have that advantage at the G.
Footy lost its soul when they got rid of the suburban grounds. The fact that their are 9 teams in Melbourne now with the same 2 home grounds essentially just makes it boring.

Never went there either actually. Hawthorn were playing at Waverley as far back as I remember.
I think hawthorn were playing home games at princes Park in the 80s before relocating to Waverley. You'd have to be an old timer to see them an glenferrie. A quick google search and they last played there in 1973 according to Wikipedia, so you would have to be at least in your late 50s to remember glenferrie.

I just had another memory, I mentioned my first melbourne game live was against essendon round 3 1995, that game was on a Monday so I'm guessing Easter Monday. Anyway for some reason on the Saturday the same round my old man took me to the western oval to watch Fremantle vs Fitzroy the first and last time I saw the Roy boys. They got pumped and it was Fremantle's first ever win. Now that had a suburban feel to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like it had a bit more soul than Marvel does at least
I hate Marvel but I disagree. The acoustics in there make a 30k crowd sound like 70k.

No many memories of Waverley but what I do remember was walking through a giant car park and sitting in an empty stadium in icy rain.

I hate Marvel but I disagree. The acoustics in there make a 30k crowd sound like 70k.

No many memories of Waverley but what I do remember was walking through a giant car park and sitting in an empty stadium in icy rain.
Yeah I went to a Tigers brissy game in 08 and the place was rocking. JB kicked a ripper goal on the run from 50 and Joel Bowden kicked the winner. Best AFL crowd I've been too

1:03:35 is the goal to put the tigs infront

I think hawthorn were playing home games at princes Park in the 80s before relocating to Waverley. You'd have to be an old timer to see them an glenferrie. A quick google search and they last played there in 1973 according to Wikipedia, so you would have to be at least in your late 50s to remember glenferrie.

I just had another memory, I mentioned my first melbourne game live was against essendon round 3 1995, that game was on a Monday so I'm guessing Easter Monday. Anyway for some reason on the Saturday the same round my old man took me to the western oval to watch Fremantle vs Fitzroy the first and last time I saw the Roy boys. They got pumped and it was Fremantle's first ever win. Now that had a suburban feel to it.
Yes I am old .

First dees memory for me is probably my Grandpa taking me to a dees game at Waverley Park in the mid-late 90s, they lived in Wheelers Hill so we went to a few games there.

Always grey, always windy, always cold, that carpark was a nightmare to get out of after games, loved it!

Whats your earliest memory of supporting Melbourne? For some reason as a kid I decided they were my team on grand final day in 1988. Cant remember anything from that game at all other than Hawthorn flogged us, but I do remember early Darren Bennett kicking set shots outside 50 with ease, he was my first favourite Melbourne player before Jako came along, * he could launch a ball.
First game I can actually remember attending was Round 7, 2000. We belted the Eagles at Docklands (Colonial) and Jeff Farmer kicked 7.

Felt like every time I went to the footy that year, Wiz would kick a bag (9 in the second half vs Collingwood, 8 in the Prelim). 7-year old me became absolutely obsessed with him.

Anyway, was enough to suck me in for life.

First game I can actually remember attending was Round 7, 2000. We belted the Eagles at Docklands (Colonial) and Jeff Farmer kicked 7.

Felt like every time I went to the footy that year, Wiz would kick a bag (9 in the second half vs Collingwood, 8 in the Prelim). 7-year old me became absolutely obsessed with him.

Anyway, was enough to suck me in for life.
I believe I was at that game also, Farmer kicked a goal off the ground from about 20m out in the right forward pocket if im recalling correctly. Went to most games that year, the Wiz show was the best show in town.

Yeah Wiz was my favorite player.

I remember being down at Wilson's Promitory listening to the Queens birthday game on the radio and couldn't believe he had kicked 9 in a half. Thought something was lost in translation on the radio call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back