Universal Love Melbourne memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Still one of the most ridiculous goals I can remember (timestamped link). The physics still don't make sense.

The Yze mark at #2 that I saw live. Was at the other end of the ground behind the goals and I dont think the camera angles do it justice, it was a massive mark from where I was standing. 100% thought it was Robbo until I saw the replay coz id never seen Yze jump that high before.

Vardy then Bizzell then Yze... that 2 minute period against Adelaide in the SF, dont think ive ever been so pumped up with what I was seeing at a game as a Dees fan. Such an amazing game, such a shame we lost but absolutely one of my all time favs regardless.. The crowd was going bonkers in the second and third quarters after we were down by 7 goals at quarter time, atmosphere was electric

Last edited:

Gawnys break out game at the Cattery where we had Jake Spencer at FF because Hoges was a late out. Spoiled their Enright 300 milestone? or one of them. Bernie Vince goal from 50 on the left was this one too. Very cathartic due to all the trauma at that ground.
Funniest but was how channel 9 had the story of the Cats winning all lined up and forgot to change it running the headline:

CATS WIN IN CORY ENRIGHTS 300TH

HOME TOWN OF KIMBA STILL PARTYING

The best part was Robo-Goody's reaction in the box, back when he was still human and not fully an android.
Nah he was still a robot. At the time people were commenting on how it looked like he was finally loosening up.

Funniest but was how channel 9 had the story of the Cats winning all lined up and forgot to change it running the headline:

CATS WIN IN CORY ENRIGHTS 300TH

HOME TOWN OF KIMBA STILL PARTYING
gee9.jpg

Was trying to find Melbourne vs Geelong in 2001 when bizzell kicked what looked like a match winner but was actually touched off the boot. The same day freo got their first win for the season against Hawthorn at the Docklands.

Considering the big freeze coming up, this is still one of my favourite moments.

Seeing Daniher racing down pumping his fist brings a tear to my eye.

Was trying to find Melbourne vs Geelong in 2001 when bizzell kicked what looked like a match winner but was actually touched off the boot. The same day freo got their first win for the season against Hawthorn at the Docklands.

Considering the big freeze coming up, this is still one of my favourite moments.

Seeing Daniher racing down pumping his fist brings a tear to my eye.

How goods that kick from White couldn't have flushed it any better.

Vardy then Bizzell then Yze... that 2 minute period against Adelaide in the SF, dont think ive ever been so pumped up with what I was seeing at a game as a Dees fan. Such an amazing game, such a shame we lost but absolutely one of my all time favs regardless.. The crowd was going bonkers in the second and third quarters after we were down by 7 goals at quarter time, atmosphere was electric

Travis Johnstone was unreal that game. Shame he didn't achieve his full potential because he was a gun at his best.

2005 was an absolute roller coaster. Were 9-3 (2 of those 3 losses were against a shit Hawthorn side and Freo at G when Farmer kicked a million goals) and second on the ladder and then lost a high quality game against the Eagles at the G. Then we dropped the next 6 to plummet out of the 8 including losing margins of 88, 74, 62 and 54. When Kent Kingsley kicked his 3rd of the game at the 17 minute mark of the second quarter to put the Cats 34 up at the shithole, we were staring down the barrel of our 8th loss on the trot and our season was dead.

What transpired from there was truly remarkable, we came back to pip the Cats by one point for our first win there in 18 years. The following week we trailed the Dogs by 22 points in the last to come back and clinch victory in a close one. Even though Essendon were woeful, we just managed to hold on in the last round to claim our first ‘odd year’ finals berth since 1991.

I remember thinking that we were some sort of sneaky chance in the Elimination Final against Geelong but we turned in the most embarrassing performance in Finals that would only be eclipsed by the 2018 Prelim to be thrashed. But it still felt good to sneak in after looking like crashing and burning from a great position in the second half of the year.

The first game I attended was against Port Adelaide in 2009. Liam Jurrah was on absolute fire that game and I can remember sitting near people who were talking about how he was going to be an all time great forward for us.
I've actually found the highlights of his performance

That 50 something point come back against Freo at the G with Aussie running wild. One of the best games I've ever been to, such were the importance of any wins back then. Crowd was incredibly loud for 14k or whatever it was. Brought a tear to the eye and that feeling has only been eclipsed by wins in big finals tbh.

Any Jurrah moment deserves to be in here because he made coming to the footy fun even when we were complete dogshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first game I attended was against Port Adelaide in 2009. Liam Jurrah was on absolute fire that game and I can remember sitting near people who were talking about how he was going to be an all time great forward for us.
I've actually found the highlights of his performance

Anyone else go to the Freo game at the MCG later that year when we briefly stopped tanking and won them by 10 goals? 13,000 is the lowest MCG crowd I've ever been in, and it felt it. I stood in the same line to get a hot dog as Jordie McKenzie.

Anyone else go to the Freo game at the MCG later that year when we briefly stopped tanking and won them by 10 goals? 13,000 is the lowest MCG crowd I've ever been in, and it felt it. I stood in the same line to get a hot dog as Jordie McKenzie.
Didn't we find a bit of form late in the season right after Stynes' cancer diagnosis? Then the rest of our admin decided Tom Scully and Jack Trengove were more important than this unifying moment for the club.

Last edited:
Travis Johnstone was unreal that game. Shame he didn't achieve his full potential because he was a gun at his best.

Always performed well in finals for us, went to another level and absolutely looked like a #1 pick.

Peak Aaron Davey had the makings of an all time great Demon. Had Michael Long level skills. Unfortunately, didn’t cope with taggers well and went missing more often than not in big games. Still a joy to watch though.

2012 v Fremantle at Docklands. We burst out of the blocks early and built a 20 point lead at quarter time. After that Fremantle slowly wittled down the margin but we fought it out well until 3QT still a goal in front. In the final quarter Fremantle kicked about 7 goals to nothing. One of the more annoying days at the football during the Neeld years.

Speaking of blatantly frustrating games, here's yet another Geelong memory!

Round 3, 2017 at the Dome/Etihad/Marvel/Souless Hellhole. We were leading 89-86 at 3QT in a surprise to everyone. Only problem is that we'd kicked 12.17 to Geelong's 14.2 :$

Hunt's intercepting Selwood's exit kick and launching it straight back over his head was very satisfying though (timestamped)

Oh and on the topic of intercepts, ol' Frosty (at the peak of his Frostball powers) storming off the bench, yoinking Grundy's handball and launching a bomb from outside 50 was a cracker

Not much will ever top Green and Bruce in their first year going bananas as we came from behind to beat Carlton in the 2000 QF (who had beaten us by 98 points only two months prior). It was fairly early in my footy supporting memories, but it still pops up every time I think about Dees history.

One last one. Even though we lost, this is still one of the best games I've seen. Trapper was enormous in a crazy seesawing game.

Vardy and Yze's successive goals from the pocket in the second quarter were unreal.

Oh and on the topic of intercepts, ol' Frosty (at the peak of his Frostball powers) storming off the bench, yoinking Grundy's handball and launching a bomb from outside 50 was a cracker

Favourite Frostball moment was this one leading to an ANB goal.

One of my favourite days at the footy ever. We had confirmed our finals spot the week before and the whole afternoon felt like a celebration.

Favourite Frostball moment was this one leading to an ANB goal.

One of my favourite days at the footy ever. We had confirmed our finals spot the week before and the whole afternoon felt like a celebration.

Remember being at this match too and the whole vibe was so chill, we played some really exciting footy in 2018, was never going to get a premiership that way, but some really enjoyable wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Melbourne memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back