News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

someone needs to create from a map a diagram which overlays the stadium and add some artistic impressions of arbours and new seats and more trees planted, print it onto side of a truck and park it outside the parklands. drive it around brisbane.

no vision at all

only hope is this is indeed an episode of hollowmen/utopia, and as soon as election done, they adopt some vision and say circumstances have changed, we now see the vision

"When you have both would-be premiers singing from the Coates new-norm hymn sheet, his power is obvious."
I feel like the author has misdiagnosed this. It isn't Coates they're both being persuaded by, it's the voting public. One of the few things that gets both major parties to agree without immediately rejecting every single part of the other's policy, is when they both believe it'll win more votes than it loses. This is why Dutton made weird promises in the period when the Voice to Parliament was popular in the polls, like holding a second referendum for Indigenous recognition in the constitution if the Voice referendum failed. The minute he realised the Voice wasn't that popular, he walked back his previous stance.

In this case, both Miles and Crisafulli reckon the public don't care about the long-term use, they just want as low a bill as possible for the Olympics (while still being in Brisbane, anyway). Are Miles a d Crisafulli right? Maybe, maybe not, but I doubt Crisafulli would take a risk like making a promise before the election with the intent of breaking it afterwards. He doesn't want to be a one-termer like Campbell Newman, so he must genuinely believe he's doing the politically popular thing.

I feel like the author has misdiagnosed this. It isn't Coates they're both being persuaded by, it's the voting public. One of the few things that gets both major parties to agree without immediately rejecting every single part of the other's policy, is when they both believe it'll win more votes than it loses. This is why Dutton made weird promises in the period when the Voice to Parliament was popular in the polls, like holding a second referendum for Indigenous recognition in the constitution if the Voice referendum failed. The minute he realised the Voice wasn't that popular, he walked back his previous stance.

In this case, both Miles and Crisafulli reckon the public don't care about the long-term use, they just want as low a bill as possible for the Olympics (while still being in Brisbane, anyway). Are Miles a d Crisafulli right? Maybe, maybe not, but I doubt Crisafulli would take a risk like making a promise before the election with the intent of breaking it afterwards. He doesn't want to be a one-termer like Campbell Newman, so he must genuinely believe he's doing the politically popular thing.
The Premier/Opposition leader could have easily spun it that they were just following the Independent enquiry findings ie Graham Quirk. Any idiot politician must know that Brisbane needs a new Oval Stadium, the Olympics should be an irrelevance re that decision.

Grace Grace admitted it, they are just kicking the stadium problem down the road to a future Government... gross incompetence from the vast majority of our politicians as per usual.

The Premier/Opposition leader could have easily spun it that they were just following the Independent enquiry findings ie Graham Quirk. Any idiot politician must know that Brisbane needs a new Oval Stadium, the Olympics should be an irrelevance re that decision.
They know, they just realise that it's a net vote loser to make it part of the Olympics because then the headline cost is higher. That's all voters seem to care about at the moment, not whether it's useful long term.

If Brisbane had Vic Park, Taylor Swift would have played here.
I have seen that one spun around a fair bit but I am not sure that would be any guarantee.
The reason being that she turned Brissy down due to not having a Stadium big enough.
So if VIC Park was to build a 55k stadium, would that be enough? Considering we already have a 55k stadium at Suncorp?

I have seen that one spun around a fair bit but I am not sure that would be any guarantee.
The reason being that she turned Brissy down due to not having a Stadium big enough.
So if VIC Park was to build a 55k stadium, would that be enough? Considering we already have a 55k stadium at Suncorp?
How much more would a 60, 70, 80, 90 or 100k stadium cost?

taylor swift haters gonna hate GIF

:laughing:

Didn't she do a Concert or 2 in Perth, Optus capacity 60,000?

How much more would a 60, 70, 80, 90 or 100k stadium cost?
Don’t think it would be worthwhile building a stadium any bigger than 60k here in Brissy, any bigger would be a waste and half empty most of the time.
If we can stay competitive I can see us getting crowds constantly in the 40’s .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They always seem to squeeze more in with concerts - and use ground space as well.

The bigger issue may be the actual show itself - given the range of additional showmanship that goes into concerts now maybe older ie Suncorp (see what I did there) can't meet some of the other requirements of some performers?

I do think Tay Tay was a bit different but - she rearranged her schedule and I think that was probably the issue from what my niece told me... over and over...

Not a comment on a specific artist, just about what we can, and will miss out on if we do not have a capable venue.

I was talking with someone online about the Olympic stadium and potential transport access there. He liked all the suggestions people had made about what could be done with the Gabba land if the Lions and cricket moved to Victoria Park, but he didn't want a stadium on Victoria Park. So his bright idea was that we should build QSAC, build a long rail tunnel to it, then knock down the Gabba after the Olympics and force the Lions and cricket to move to QSAC.

It's a good thing we weren't having that conversation in person or I'd have started uncontrollably laughing in his face.

I was talking with someone online about the Olympic stadium and potential transport access there. He liked all the suggestions people had made about what could be done with the Gabba land if the Lions and cricket moved to Victoria Park, but he didn't want a stadium on Victoria Park. So his bright idea was that we should build QSAC, build a long rail tunnel to it, then knock down the Gabba after the Olympics and force the Lions and cricket to move to QSAC.

It's a good thing we weren't having that conversation in person or I'd have started uncontrollably laughing in his face.
I didn't know you had high level Labor connections!

Average QLD voter

From the April 2024 Peninsula* Edition of the Village Voice is just out, which is freely distributed to most mailboxes in inner city Brisbane. Will be on-line here soon: https://village-voice.com.au/peninsula-issues/
* As an aside, "peninsula" is so lame to describe the New Farm area.

The propaganda piece is below. The same picture is on the front cover.

View attachment 1955221au/peninsula-issues/

Hang on, is her name ACTUALLY Grace Grace? I thought people were using some sort of condescending nickname

Professor Müller says it's all about the IOC looking after its interests.

"They are selling the international reputation of the Games to sponsors, to fans, to viewers of television, and they've had bad experiences over the past couple of Games, so what they want to do is to reduce the risk," he said.

He says the last Summer Games where the revenues were higher than the overall cost of hosting the event was Sydney in 2000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back