Review Round 7, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Car Crash Burn GIF by WorldofTanks
I am on board with this now.
But we need to tank hard to make sure we get a pick before Levi.

Cupboard is getting pretty bare now in terms of replacing mids/wings/flankers. With Bailey still out, Kiddy & Ashcroft gone long term/for the season, Dev injured last week and Ah Chee going out tonight who do we have left? Lyons but he is done at AFL level now.

Prior, Reville, Sharp, Brain and Torrent? I’d like to see Reville get a shot but any more injuries and we will be playing guys who aren’t ready(If we aren’t already with Tunstill playing)

I know it's not going to make much difference but surely you give up on the Gardiner up forward. He looks slow and awkward. He's kicked 1 goal, 2 behinds, averages 2 inside 50's a game and has had 4 goal assists in his 6 games. Overwhelming evidence that it's not his position.

Seeing Darcy Fort trailing Briggs to the boundary throw ins a number of times really sums up the attitude of the team. Not switched on.

No scoreboard pressure, no tackling pressure…… looks like the game has evolved past our player type and strategies. Not much in our VFL team at the moment on their performances. Missing Ashcroft's enthusiasm. We need to take care and manage his return as nothing to be gained by rushing him back he’s our future at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We look seriously unfit.
A lot of the players lost a bit of weight during the off season but it doesn’t look like that has translated into fitness and run.

I noticed this too.

1. It would have been exhausting to constantly be turning to sprint back to defend the counter (it’s more taxing to be playing that much transition defence)

2. Tired bodies after the absurd conditions at the Gabba 5 days ago

3. Probably some lack of conditioning too

It's been flagged here all year that this has been coming.

Seen similar efforts for a quarter or two most games.

We've lost our desire and hunger for the contest and when you lose that it doesn't matter how good you are.

Maybe we're not good enough either.

Collingwood v Brisbane last year could be an outlier.

Outplayed all round the ground except for Andrews but he can't do everything himself.

Team needs a shake up but we all know it won't happen. Welcome back Lyons again next week I guess.

Some would say season over round 1 vs Carlton.
Before half time round 0. Lost our entire ball movement and top 2 intercept defender in one action.

Wrong thread but one thing I would like in 2023 is to sign Kiddy up to a lifetime deal. If this year has shown anything, its how much we miss him when he is not there. It’s no surprise our ball movement going forward is shit when we built our game plan going forward around him and Rich before him.

Well, wasn't that pathetic.
Arrogant, lazy, no respect for their team mates, members and fans. No respect especially the forwards. The forward delivery is what you would see at junior suburban levels. Plugger or Ablett Snr would struggle to get a goal in that forward line with such rubbish delivery.
Often in aftermatch reviews you hear that a player has played he "role". I can not see anyone on the field that is executing a specific role, other than expecting their team mates to do the work. Harris and Lester were solid but only because the ball kept coming down their end so much.
Berry, lots of possessions as usual, but what does he do with them?
Cam, brilliant but only in cameos. Linc the same.
Fletcher needs to work harder. Still cruises a bit as if he's still starring in the Coates League.
Wilmot, a bit like Cam. Need to up his possessions to 25 per game. He has it in him.
Even Hugh is in cruise mode at the moment.
The entire team looks tired, slow and uninterested at times.
And Fages. You need more strategies. The game plan appears outdated. Getting absolutely smashed on turnovers. There seems to be no strategies to quell any opposition momentum.
When North or Hawthorn or even West Coast get smashed it is because of a young inexperienced list, or a lack of quality personnel. Brisbane has a premiership quality list, albeit, a couple of injuries, and are getting embarrassed this year.
I was at the MCG for the Melbourne game a couple of weeks ago. I can't understand why they can put on masterclass that week, but throw up crap like this tonight.

Incredible to think that this basically the same side that lead Carlton by 46 points in the second quarter at the Gabba in Round 1.

Premiership favourites before that game and firming.

Then it's all fallen to pieces despite us looking like the dominant side for large chunks of every subsequent game.

Now the Blues are geniuses and our name is mud.

It's a fickle game.
:(:'(

you could say it was the wet from the cats game
Although we struggle to run out games all year.
We have a big 10-15 mins in the second where we do not put a team away.
Then they wave bye bye as the run off from us

Honestly even the last few years we have problems with teams who run and overlap.
Any team that runs and over laps we watch them run past.
Prob have the slowest mids in the league
Two tall forwards who just watch people run past also does not help

you could say it was the wet from the cats game
Although we struggle to run out games all year.
We have a big 10-15 mins in the second where we do not put a team away.
Then they wave bye bye as the run off from us

Honestly even the last few years we have problems with teams who run and overlap.
Any team that runs and over laps we watch then run past.
Prob have the slowest mids in the league
Two tall forwards who just watch people run past also does not help
Yep and we even had the opening clearance and Daniher shot on goal in the third quarter which Joe sprayed. All GWS from there.

Goalless third quarter. How many goalless quarters have we had this year? 2 goals in total the second half.

Back