Review Round 11, 2024 - Hawthorn vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mabior Chol kicked 2 straight goals from Centre Clearances on Jack Payne. Every Schoolboy backman knows to play in front at restarts.Defending the quick break Not Jack apparently.!
Are our guys except Dunks and Lester scared to smother? Hawks scored 2 goals directly because we just let them kick forward from wing contests under very weak pressure. Looking at you Reville and Fletcher! Both guilty. There is no excuse for lack of effort. 1% ters win games. In our case they lose them.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mabior Chol kicked 2 straight goals from Centre Clearances on Jack Payne. Every Schoolboy backman knows to play in front at restarts.Defending the quick break Not Jack apparently.!
Are our guys except Dunks and Lester scared to smother? Hawks scored 2 goals directly because we just let them kick forward from wing contests under very weak pressure. Looking at you Reville and Fletcher! Both guilty. There is no excuse for lack of effort. 1% ters win games. In our case they lose them.

I guess schoolboy footy is different from professional footy then

I too picked up on some pretty lack lustre efforts from Fletch. He’s usually been good defensively effort wise. Bye might do him well.

Haven’t seen many posts about any of our “bests” today. Had a think about it myself and it’s pretty hard to name them. Lachie was pretty good as usual. Dunks tried hard and I thought Kai had another decent game.

Hard to think of too many that won their position today though.
Unimpressed with Neale...thought he must of been carrying something.

Should have either played Rayner FF for Hipwood or dropped Rayner for Bailey. Those 2 guys cannot be in the same team with their mindset. Needed Sharp and Brain in for Q1.

Unimpressed with Neale...thought he must of been carrying something.
I heard he's been carrying something - the midfield. :(

FWIW, unironically yes. The ball is a lot more likely to drop short than get over the back in schoolboy footy, plus when it does get over the back in the AFL it's often leaving someone to run into an open goal.

The weak attempts to tackle were particularly cringeworthy
We still run straight at the ball carrier at full speed only for them to step left then right and we barely get a hand on them.
It's very basic.
If you are running straight on you have to go either left or right as you get closer , show them which way to go.
For example if they are running the boundary line what you would do is open up the boundary line for them by taking a step inside the field .
It closes down their angle if they wanted to cut inside, your showing them the boundary to run, and as you get closer they can't step around on the inside they have usually only one option and that is take you on up the boundary.
It's still all about timing and speed and your ability to adjust small movements as they move.
Soccer players and leaugue players are trained in these skills, but it's not that hard.
Your basically cutting down their angles on which way they can run.
Some of our players on the weekend showed we still don't have this skill.
Amateur hour tbh.
I think we fall into two methods most of the time when these scenerios are there.
We either corrall , we stop at a couple of meters off to stop them going maybe inside, but we don't close them down cause weve stopped.
Or we just run straight at them and get stepped.
You have to keep advancing, not full pace though and as you take that step right or left depending on which way you want them to go or which side of their body you want to hit . Smash them , Mitch Robbo was brilliant at this.
Kiddy has it, Bailey has not.
Very frustrating watching some of the crap.
It is a running game as well as a kicking game so yeah , quite astounding we don't have these skills drilled into the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guess is wrong. The basics are exactly the same. In what context do you think it is smart for the backman to stand 3 metres behind his opponent with nothing between themselves and potential ball carrier at a restart? OK it happens once and you get embarrassingly caught out. You watch the ball sail through the goals. Maybe bad luck. To let it happen again 2 minutes later is inexcusable and just mentally lazy or dumb. Chol was actually chuckling!

You guess is wrong. The basics are exactly the same. In what context do you think it is smart for the backman to stand 3 metres behind his opponent with nothing between themselves and potential ball carrier at a restart? OK it happens once and you get embarrassingly caught out. You watch the ball sail through the goals. Maybe bad luck. To let it happen again 2 minutes later is inexcusable and just mentally lazy or dumb. Chol was actually chuckling!

Did I say 3 metres?

The problem with playing in front is you lose where your opponent is and if you do that and their mids get it out the front of the pack then you have no chance

Payne has been an intercept marking king recently so has read the ball really well but if the opponents midfield gets the ball out of clearances unpressured you have no chance

If Chol is chuckling might be because he is at his third club.

Very few backmen (except maybe Taylor) are going to prevent a lace out mark being taken by the forward with the way Hawks mids were running at times unopposed, something similar happened to Harris in the game with Gunston, and I reckon Chol would beat Gunston over 20 meters.

Playing in front does have some advantages, and Payne and Harris have been attempting that of late, and getting some intercept marks and possessions, but as mentioned by another poster you also can lose sight of your opponent or be nudged under the ball. Arguably Payne could have stood a little closer to Chol, perhaps even more aggressive with side by side, but any smart forward is going to counter that. It is difficult for most defenders to negate a lace out pass to a fast forward which is coming from an unchallenged mid.

Did I say 3 metres?

The problem with playing in front is you lose where your opponent is and if you do that and their mids get it out the front of the pack then you have no chance

Payne has been an intercept marking king recently so has read the ball really well but if the opponents midfield gets the ball out of clearances unpressured you have no chance

Also you’d be hard pressed to find someone who can stop their man in an open fifty when the opposition is running straight in with no pressure. Unless the kick under no pressure is bad it’s an easy mark for the opposition when it happens.

Did I say 3 metres?

Yes his intercept marking in general play has been good but we are talking the 666 set up here. I cannot see the logic in giving an opposition player a free hit at marking and most probably a kick at goal inside 50. The CHB should be side by side, leaning into the CHF maintaining front shoulder postion. Generally annoying the forward getting inside his head space. When the ball is bounced lean harder on them. I can assure you they find it very difficult to jog off in front of you to accept the quick kick. If it's a pass at least it will be contested. You also can suck them in for a holding free as they try to get past.

Yes his intercept marking in general play has been good but we are talking the 666 set up here. I cannot see the logic in giving an opposition player a free hit at marking and most probably a kick at goal inside 50. The CHB should be side by side, leaning into the CHF maintaining front shoulder postion. Generally annoying the forward getting inside his head space. When the ball is bounced lean harder on them. I can assure you they find it very difficult to jog off in front of you to accept the quick kick. If it's a pass at least it will be contested. You also can suck them in for a holding free as they try to get past.

Is that what the primary school kids do?

Also you’d be hard pressed to find someone who can stop their man in an open fifty when the opposition is running straight in with no pressure. Unless the kick under no pressure is bad it’s an easy mark for the opposition when it happens.

No, it is the defenders fault that worpel walked through three arm tackles and got out the front of stoppage, leaving the forwards the entire 50 to lead in!

Back