Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

If Sidey is getting single digits on a wing that is a very different proposition to a defensive forward getting single digits.

He did give up some goals against the Saints but I could say the same for Moore this year yet because he isn't 33 the question of retirement or being dropped is never raised. Darcy has also been terrible in most of our early games. He has run around like a headless chook and hadn't even been getting his fist to the pill let alone take intercept marks, but today there were good signs.

I have faith in Fly. He is a winner. He will not continue to select players he thinks are no longer helping us win games of footy.

Moore is a structural tall KPP that we have NO one to really replace him with.
Whilst I think he has been below his best for a long while he's not in danger of being dropped.

Whilst we did hace our chances to win today, it really feels like we got out of jail. We were smashed in the centre, especially in the last quarter. I'm not looking forward to Carlton next week.

We'll do what we did against Port and come out and belt the Blues in the middle. It's actually been a weakness of theirs this season.

I don’t need to watch it back to tell you you’re wrong. Were you at the game or watching on tv?

Either way, not really interested in arguing this point because I sense nothing I say will be taken on board.

I thought Darcy was one of, if not just about our best player today. 🤷‍♀️

D.Moore was clearly our best yesterday. Length of Flemington straight kinda stuff.

Midfield badly beaten. Probably need to make a few hard calls with some older guys in there, lack of acceleration from a few guys obvious with Essendon mids getting space easily.
Also JDG has the worst decision making this year. Not sure what’s going on with him. He gets plenty of the ball but his use is about as bad as you see.
He keeps giving out hospital passes too.

Dons kicking 4 goals in the first 8 mins of the game meant we were pushing s**t up hill all day.

We take one of 5 last quarter chances and we win that by 2-3 goals.

Must beat the Blues now.
True. Thought we controlled the game for the large part except on the scoreboard . however we had drawn level well before half time so that’s no excuse either, it’s not as if we were chasing tail all day. FWIW I’m still spewing about their third goal where Draper had hands all over his opponent’s shoulders in the most unrealistic of marking attempts in a pack mark situation and should have been pinged. The ball slipped out the back for a bombers goal.

Titch bent over to pick up a ball in the 3rd and it was like watching an old man do it
There was a moment when he was chasing a ball and an opposition player came from two meters behind him and took the ball a meter in front of him
Looked like he was in quick sand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Felt more like a loss than a draw. Just like after the first 2010 grand final.

We went into slow, “defend the lead” mode way too early.

Probably a sign that we were out of gas and too dependent on too few. Bombers looked fresher, faster and more potent.

Harrison showed some spark and should be retained. But the end is coming faster than we’d like for several aging warriors.

I think Sullivan needs to come into the starting 22 against the Blues.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Two consolations

1. At least two points for the a draw takes a lot of percentage out of the equation ( especially if there are no more draws this year)
2. At least we aren’t the worst performed reigning grand final team so far. Brisbane are in a deep hole

Brisbane are G.O.N.E!!

Felt more like a loss than a draw. Just like after the first 2010 grand final.

We went into slow, “defend the lead” mode way too early.

Probably a sign that we were out of gas and too dependent on too few. Bombers looked fresher, faster and more potent.

Harrison showed some spark and should be retained. But the end is coming faster than we’d like for several aging warriors.

I think Sullivan needs to come into the starting 22 against the Blues.

Makes the VFL a must watch. If Sullivan has a big game, then he plays Friday night.
If McInnes has a decent game, kicks 3 or 4, then he's an option to return as well.
My attention will be on Parker. I think he will be a real surprise packet in 12 months time....

Are outs for Friday night could be as much as 3 players. l think Harrison plays a full game next Friday.

On a day when most of our players put in below average performances, McCreery really stood up. His impact went well beyond the stats sheet - it one of his most aggressive and attacking performances to date. One of our few who played above average yesterday.

And Jamie’s mark and goal - I will remember that for a LONG time. What an amazing career highlight reel he has put together - especially against the Bombers.

Only have seen the game live at the ground so far.

Just started it now and I literally laughed out loud when I saw Pendles very clearly saying to Steele “I just f-ing 💩 myself” during the national anthem when the poorly timed planes flew overhead!

Beau will alway be a low possession player and yes his challenge is to get more easy uncontested ball. One more possession last night and we win. That fumble in front of goals was pretty bad

Agree.

I think we are now passed the midfield discussion with Mcreery. He is a low possession pressure forward.

That was a strange one. On face value I thought we blew it so many 60/40 opportunities that we burned. Seven that stand out:

• Hill making charcoal of Schultz Q3 he gives that handball last week and was a hero for it.
  • Frampton come on mate you gotta kick that.
  • Mihocek you score on either of those and we probably win.
  • Elliott that dropped mark was painful. Even if you can’t score that kick us going deep enough for us to scrounge a behind.
  • McReery I love the way the modern footballer scans the field before taking possession. That though was a case of grab and quickly to boot…
  • Noble that one arm tackle on Martin was amateur hr. Like McReery’s one above and his goal where Hind fell over fundamentals are crucial.

Elliott coulda shoulda woulda on that turnover on the flank late, but everyone was gassed so it was happening all over the field frustrating, but no judgement. The point being with all that was no individual was at faul, but it was a collective of missed opportunities. Despite all of that I believe the sentiment will be that Essendon blew it with Langford’s miss and the contest dominance late. All things considered I thought we were the better team on the day, but they made the most of their momentum and I think it was Q2 that ultimately cost us if that’s 7.2 instead of 4.5 it’s a whole different ballgame.

I hope that one stings because we’re going to need to be better again next week. Kudos to Moore that was a ripping one and he was far and away our best on the day. Also I hope the ones that chose ego posting through the week about us smashing them took the metaphorical punch sweet because Essendon are better than 2023.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Checkers a little more upset with those terrible kicks. Two in a row and he barely changed expression. A little visible angst helps me see he is as upset as me! The game was in his hands. Hopefully he rectifies his kicking next week.
When Checkers missed everything with those two kicks late in the last quarter, he was literally out on his feet. He looked completely done to me. He may have even struggled to show some emotion!

I know you’re not otherwise being critical of him, but he’s such a workhorse for us. He takes so much contact but gets up to do it again and again and again. I can’t imagine what our forward line would have looked like the last six years without him there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back