Bruce Lehrmann revealed as man charged with two counts of rape in Toowoomba

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t it always that?
It's never been about the money. Even Reynolds has said that.

IMHO this is all about power politics and revenge at its most base and distasteful level.

The step-by-step personal destruction by someone with power - a Federal Senator - of her former junior staffer who was raped in our Federal Parliament by another of Reynolds staffers. A rape victim with ongoing mental health issues who, five full years after the event, has finally had her rape claims vindicated in a court of law but now faces yet another round of court room shame and the high chance of complete financial ruin and personal destruction at the hands of her former boss.

All for two social media posts, the content of which almost no one are even aware of and which go nowhere near the vile hatred and politically motivated bias that I'm sure Reynolds and every current and former Federal Minister gets on a weekly basis. And certainly no where near as misogynistic and vile as Ms Higgins was receiving since allegations of her rape first surfaced and is still receiving on various social media platforms every hour of every day even now her rape has been vindicated.

It is a proven fact that victims of sexual assault find precious little support for them at all stages of the Australian criminal justice system. Their perpetrators rarely face the inside of a court room to answer for their crimes and rarer still get convicted.

But for those with power and the financial means our justice system is able to be weaponised to wreak personal revenge and financial ruin. Make no mistake, Reynolds is not the first politician and former Minister to use our justice system for that purpose and she won't be the last.

It says a lot about the values and power structures underpinning our society.

Bruce Lehrmann did not have secret financial backers funding his failed defamation case against Network 10 and Lisa Wilkinson, a court has heard.

Bruce Lehrmann did not have secret financial backers funding his failed defamation case against Network 10 and Lisa Wilkinson, a court has heard this morning.

As part of their efforts to recover their legal costs from Lehrmann, Network 10 was allowed to issue a notice to produce aimed at finding out if the ex-Liberal staffer had financial backers.

In answer to the notice to produce, Lehrmann’s solicitor told the court that there was no agreement between Lehrmann and any other parties to pay his lawyers’ fees.

“There is none such agreement, there is only an agreement between my firm and the applicant,” Mr Svilans said.

“That agreement makes no reference to any third party.”

Justice Lee added that the agreement stated that Lehrmann only had to pay his lawyers if he won the lawsuit.

(i.e. a no win no fee agreement)

“So it was a conditional costs agreement whereby there’s no obligation to pay the amount of costs in event the proceedings were unsuccessful,” Justice Lee told the court.

Justice Lee will now hand down a decision on the payment of Network 10 and Ms Wilkinson’s legal bills - and he is due to hand down his costs judgment on Friday afternoon at 2.15pm.

Justice Lee previously told the court late that there would be a costs order in Ten’s favour.

This is likely to be the last court hearting on the Lehrmann defamation trial, unless he goes ahead with an appeal (highly unlikely).

He has lost his defamation action and his legal team - whose fees must be close to $1m - have born the financial cost of that failure. Not sure where Channel Ten will get payment from either, assuming Lehrmann has spent the $455,000 he got from reaching settlement with the ABC and NewsCorp.

Last edited:
Bruce Lehrmann did not have secret financial backers funding his failed defamation case against Network 10 and Lisa Wilkinson, a court has heard.

Bruce Lehrmann did not have secret financial backers funding his failed defamation case against Network 10 and Lisa Wilkinson, a court has heard this morning.

As part of their efforts to recover their legal costs from Lehrmann, Network 10 was allowed to issue a notice to produce aimed at finding out if the ex-Liberal staffer had financial backers.

In answer to the notice to produce, Lehrmann’s solicitor told the court that there was no agreement between Lehrmann and any other parties to pay his lawyers’ fees.

“There is none such agreement, there is only an agreement between my firm and the applicant,” Mr Svilans said.

Justice Lee added that the agreement stated that Lehrmann only had to pay his lawyers if he won the lawsuit.

“So it was a conditional costs agreement whereby there’s no obligation to pay the amount of costs in event the proceedings were unsuccessful,” Justice Lee told the court.

Justice Lee will now hand down a decision on the payment of Network 10 and Ms Wilkinson’s legal bills - and he is due to hand down his costs judgment on Friday afternoon at 2.15pm.

Justice Lee previously told the court late that there would be a costs order in Ten’s favour.

This is likely to be the last court hearting on the Lehrmann defamation trial, unless he goes ahead with an appeal (highly unlikely).

He has lost his defamation action and his legal team - whose fees must be close to $1m - have born the financial cost of that failure. Not sure where Channel Ten will get payment from either, assuming Lehrmann has spent the $455,000 he got from reaching settlement with the ABC and NewsCorp.

Hands up all those that think that this may be technically true but also complete and utter bullshit.

Also does this mean his lawyers are on the hook for 10/Wikinsons legal bills or does their contract with Lehrman only cover his side?

I find it hard to believe the law firm would take this on without assurances from a 3rd party.

Hands up all those that think that this may be technically true but also complete and utter bullshit.

Also does this mean his lawyers are on the hook for 10/Wikinsons legal bills or does their contract with Lehrman only cover his side?

I find it hard to believe the law firm would take this on without assurances from a 3rd party.
I would assume 10's lawyers have their assurances from 10. It is up to 10 to recover the costs - not their lawyers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would assume 10's lawyers have their assurances from 10. It is up to 10 to recover the costs - not their lawyers.
I think Ice-Wolf meant are Bruce's laywers up for the courts & CH10 lawyer costs or is Bruce.

I'd be stunned if any lawyer took on a case where they'd not only not be paid if they lost but they'd also cover any costs in lost defamation

I think Ice-Wolf meant are Bruce's laywers up for the courts & CH10 lawyer costs or is Bruce.

I'd be stunned if any lawyer took on a case where they'd not only not be paid if they lost but they'd also cover any costs in lost defamation
Yeah that's what I was getting at, it appears that Bruce's lawyers if we take their words at face value have made some pretty stunning calls already in regards to the case so it's a valid question.

See, it's not that hard to tweet the basic facts without making half the population think there are no circumstances where your legal firm would take on your case no matter how meritorious.

If I couldn't remember being sexually assaulted and my workplace denied be being able to see footage of what might have happened to me unless I was pressing charges, I'd be upset too.

I'm not saying this is Reynolds doing anything wrong, but another sign of a terrible system at work against the victim. Why would you deny a drunk victim the right to view what might have happened to them. And how can Parliament as an employer deny their employee access to that vision, regardless of AFP involvement?

Did Reynolds and the Government not have the ability to help Higgins see what had happened to her?

Reynolds' behaviour continues to be punitive, in my opinion, which suggests she likely wouldn't have lifted a finger to help in the past either.

I would guess that Lehrman would really want to appeal the ruling so that it can't be presented as fact in his Toowoomba criminal trial. But with having to pay the legal fees as penalty, he'll be broke. Nobody will take it on as no-win no-fee and surely even Channel 7 would have to stay out of it.

He'll have a hard enough time funding his criminal defence, let alone the criminal defence as well as a Supreme Court appeal. But without the Supreme Court appeal, the criminal defence would have all sorts of problems.

I'm going to respond to your post above CM86 and then will be taking an extended break from the topic.

Can be a bit unhealthy for all of us to be honest, which I'm sure you would agree.

As early as 16 April 2019.

View attachment 1979708

Following an Evidence-in-Chief interview.

Because nobody should view the CCTV until they give an an Evidence-in-Chief interview.

Section I.6 details a number of Brittany's concerns on the CCTV and then concludes that the whole issue is a "furphy":

View attachment 1979710
View attachment 1979711

I'm not 100% sure of what you mean here, but as above, the footage was preserved and it was used in Lehrmann's criminal trial.

There is some dispute about there being 100% of the footage, which the police says is whole, but Drumgold says isn't and even blamed police for deleting footage (before recanting). Ultimately, the CCTV footage, shows that Higgins was very drunk and it's logical that she was, so I'm not sure what the supposed extra footage (if any) would add to that.

I don't know how "common" it is or isn't for there to be 'wee hours' of the morning access that would be much longer than just picking up keys or documents. There was a woman who entered in at around the same time as them, so after hours access, even on a Saturday morning, does happen.

Security were right to have suspicions on Lehrmann and Higgins' behaviour. I thought their check ins could have been a more assertive. But ultimately, it's not like they had the lens of 20:20 hindsight either, so that leap to a sexual assault having probably having taken place is a big leap and Higgins gave then assurances that she was ok.

As above, the context of 'common occurrence' in the context that I read it would be that there is sufficient suspicion that an event happened in the suite that was so egregious that they best put a police tape across the main door and call in forensics.

But it wasn't in security's 'mind's eye'. Did they kick-on and drink some more? Did they do drugs? Were they using the base to procure drugs? Did they have consensual sex? Were one or both of them stealing documents? Was Higgins simply so sickly drunk that she needed time to cool off?

There were so many probabilities as to what may or may not have happened, that rape would be pretty low on the probability list. The cleaner Carlos Ramos was told to look for "signs of a party", demonstrating the mindset of security.

It is well documented why Lehrmann was sacked:

View attachment 1979726

Mishandling confidential documents or lying to get into Parliament House are not "common actions".

As above, the "fireable offence" wasn't a part of the sexual assault allegation.

As to support, Higgins was taken to police by Brown, as recommended by Reynolds.

Higgins had access to the Employee Assistance Program that Sam Maiden scoffed at as effectively being token support, but it is a genuine independent extension to most businesses nowadays.

Brown gave Higgins multiple options as to where she could work from, including Gold Coast, Canberra or Perth, but couldn't get her a gig in the Brisbane campaign headquarters.

Higgins sent Reynolds flowers thanking her for her support.

Higgins also sent Brown this heartfelt text and a bottle of champagne (a text that was missing on Higgins' phone):

View attachment 1979736
While there may a better system that could be put in place going forward is a fair argument and I hope there systemic change has already happened, but Higgins had support.

No problem!
I appreciate that you're taking a break from this. And I'll hold my attack on your post until then.

But I really hope you didn't deliberately mislead with this post, and then opt-out in the knowledge that you were manipulating the narrative. And that you genuinely feel that this has become too much of an obsession for you, that you need to distance yourself for a period of time for clarity, sanity or any other benefits.

And I'm sorry if any of my posts have had any impact on you outside of this forum. I wish you well.

If I couldn't remember being sexually assaulted and my workplace denied be being able to see footage of what might have happened to me unless I was pressing charges, I'd be upset too.

I'm not saying this is Reynolds doing anything wrong, but another sign of a terrible system at work against the victim. Why would you deny a drunk victim the right to view what might have happened to them. And how can Parliament as an employer deny their employee access to that vision, regardless of AFP involvement?

Did Reynolds and the Government not have the ability to help Higgins see what had happened to her?

Reynolds' behaviour continues to be punitive, in my opinion, which suggests she likely wouldn't have lifted a finger to help in the past either.

I would guess that Lehrman would really want to appeal the ruling so that it can't be presented as fact in his Toowoomba criminal trial. But with having to pay the legal fees as penalty, he'll be broke. Nobody will take it on as no-win no-fee and surely even Channel 7 would have to stay out of it.

He'll have a hard enough time funding his criminal defence, let alone the criminal defence as well as a Supreme Court appeal. But without the Supreme Court appeal, the criminal defence would have all sorts of problems.
This is such a great post, thank you.
In the weeds we forget objectivity like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back