List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the many issues I have with our current team is our inability of our top end talent being able to play multiple positions.

Look at the Pies
Daicos x 2, Crisp, Pendles, JDG can all go into different areas of the ground and have a meaninful impact.

I look at our list and Sheezal and McKercher are probably the only ones who has shown any ability to play in different zones. I thought Jy might be able to hold down a wing/hf role, but it hasn't worked out thus far.

LDU, WP, George and even Powell as completely ineffective if not played in their preferred role, and when playing in their preferred role we are getting pumped each week in the middle

Powell should be spending more time on wings and half forward, like a Mitch Duncan does - especially if we are going to recruit another mid this year which is looking likely.

We should not be recruiting mature players who are one dimensional. I think Parker would be ok as he can go forward but I wouldn't be going near Wines. Depending on what Cam does I'd also be looking at Berry from Lions as a free agent.

Adock, Barlow and Clarke should have absolute zero input on this.

This is a serious decision that impacts the future of the football club and moves well beyond the authority of the coach.

$1m x 5 year deals with draft capital attached to it should not be decided by Rawlings or Clarko.

It needs to be ratified by the entire board, so the membership can have accountability to any decision and correct oversight.

Clarko and Rawlings could be gone well before this contract is even half finished.

It's why none of these decisions are made remotely at the level of Scouts or head coaches in American sports. The GM works for the owner and above the sporting department.

In this instance it would have to be the relevant Executive (CEO Jenn Watt, GM-Football Todd Viney) seeking ratification from the 7 sitting board members.

Rawlings is hardly a GM in the real sense in terms of commercial experience. He should be a pitching a proposal to Watt and Viney only.

Given their track record the last few years, there is zero confidence in this current administration and the membership deserves future accountability for any decisions.

The board serves the members of the club.

If they manufacture another Polec/Pittard decision or a ramped up version of Dylan Stephens or CCJ, it could put the future of the football club at risk given our onfield performances for the last 5 years and I don't say that with any hyperbole.

It's not a them v us situation. Everyone will be/has to be on the same page. It will have been agreed that the next stage of our rebuild is to get in some more mature players via FA and Trade. Players will be proposed by the coaches and then pmts will obviously be approved further up. This is the hardest part of the rebuild, getting FAs and players wanting to join

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So what are we to do get band 1 for Cam if he leaves so pick 1 and 2 . Or split pick 1 like we did for Sheezel and Wardlaw. I do think we need this big body mid . JHF left put us back a bit as too not getting Reid. I think we need Smiley but 2 players in top 5 is also enticing .Quite the conundrum. What about future 1st plus a recently acquired top pick for Clayton Oliver just hypothosizing

So what are we to do get band 1 for Cam if he leaves so pick 1 and 2 . Or split pick 1 like we did for Sheezel and Wardlaw. I do think we need this big body mid . JHF left put us back a bit as too not getting Reid. I think we need Smiley but 2 players in top 5 is also enticing .Quite the conundrum. What about future 1st plus a recently acquired top pick for Clayton Oliver just hypothosizing
There is zero chance we get band 1.

Adock, Barlow and Clarke should have absolute zero input on this.

This is a serious decision that impacts the future of the football club and moves well beyond the authority of the coach.

$1m x 5 year deals with draft capital attached to it should not be decided by Rawlings or Clarko.

It needs to be ratified by the entire board, so the membership can have accountability to any decision and correct oversight.

Clarko and Rawlings could be gone well before this contract is even half finished.

It's why none of these decisions are made remotely at the level of Scouts or head coaches in American sports. The GM works for the owner and above the sporting department.

In this instance it would have to be the relevant Executive (CEO Jenn Watt, GM-Football Todd Viney) seeking ratification from the 7 sitting board members.

Rawlings is hardly a GM in the real sense in terms of commercial experience. He should be a pitching a proposal to Watt and Viney only.

Given their track record the last few years, there is zero confidence in this current administration and the membership deserves future accountability for any decisions.

The board serves the members of the club.

If they manufacture another Polec/Pittard decision or a ramped up version of Dylan Stephens or CCJ, it could put the future of the football club at risk given our onfield performances for the last 5 years and I don't say that with any hyperbole.
are you saying the people hired to make these decisions should not be making these decisions? I'm sure that will work, lets have the board take over recruitment and drafting. Perhaps start a poll on here, I am sure that would work even better

We can keep throwing draft picks and youngsters at the problem, but if we are lucky we may be looking at finals in 3-5 years. I would rather throw a large salary at an established midfielder that can help us get there, even if he isn't playing when we do. take Wines for example, who cares if by the time his contract is up, he is overtaken by younger players. If that is the case, it means he has done his job.

In Perth they’re banging on about Harley Reid. He’s going to be a star but they will have pain once their older players retire/delisted in a year or 2. I think I’m happier to have Duursma, Hardeman, Goad and Will Dawson our our list than Reid which in essence they rejected from us as an offer last year in picks. Reid will command $1.5 to $2m a year from them in a year or 2 and then they’re ****ed. At least we have 4 players who could be anything in 2-3 years.

We have two/three years to absolutely nail our draft picks and not waste any 2nd and 3rd rounders on journeymen. We simply have to stay the course, taking any shortcuts now is going to leave us in an even bigger hole.

If we top up and overpay (like we already have for Stephens and Fisher, amongst a whole host of other duds), then we'll end up in the wilderness for another 5/6 years once the Tassie team diluted drafts come around.

Drafted top end talent and free agency for A grade players is the only way we dig ourselves out of this hole.
This really is it.

If we are going to pay overs to bring someone in from outside, at least make it a high-end player. Luke Parker or Ollie Wines (or both!) on $1m to $1.2m might seem like a lot, but they'll help a lot more than Doug Howard ever will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome.

Brady and Clarko's track record in this space is fantastic at the moment. Clarko has an absolutely abysmal record over the last 7-8 years of mature age recruits to try and accelerate his rebuilds.

He has a terrible eye for mature age recruits at the moment.

Cue another 15 years in the wilderness when we dilute the #1 pick for a 29 year old and then trade out of next years draft.

At this point I'd want any decision like this ratified by the board of the football club. It's to critical and I don't trust either Clarko or Rawlings.

Neither of them should be making a decision of this magnitude themselves.

Both are entering self preservation mode.

So if it all goes **** up, absolutely everyone at the football club is held accountable, including the CEO and Chairman
Clarko's recruiting of mature agers in the back end of his stint at Hawthorn wasn't that bad.
Frost, Amon, Impey, Scrimshaw, Tom Mitchell.

I know that O'Meara and Wingard was a miss but the other guys have all been decent.

In Perth they’re banging on about Harley Reid. He’s going to be a star but they will have pain once their older players retire/delisted in a year or 2. I think I’m happier to have Duursma, Hardeman, Goad and Will Dawson our our list than Reid which in essence they rejected from us as an offer last year in picks. Reid will command $1.5 to $2m a year from them in a year or 2 and then they’re ****ed. At least we have 4 players who could be anything in 2-3 years.
No chance of this post blowing up on us.

When we got JHFF nobody was moaning about not having multiple slightly lesser talents instead.

Reid is a gun. That's their Dustin Martin. Let's just hope our assortment suit our needs. I'd potentially have given up Duursma and one of the teens picks for him based on what we know so far.

St Kilda yet to put a deal in front of Dougal Howard. In and out of Ross’s side. He is definitely a player of interest for our back 6. 28 key back.. What do we think?

I actually think that despite our current predicament, we are pretty well stocked with key backs. Logue and Comben should be a formidable pairing by 2025 and I think Dawson in 2 years and 10kgs time will be another gun. K. Dawson, Biggy, and Corr are kay as third tall options.

Carlton from 2002 to 2007 gave it a red hot go...broke the sequence in 2004 by finishing 11th in a 16 team comp, then right back to 16th in 2005?

Yeah? They managed to have a somewhat competitive season sandwiched between their shit years, something we have been completely unable to do. The highest % we have managed since 2020 has been 71% and in all of those years bar 2003 (a year they won 3 games) theirs was higher.

They may have been dogshit but we are on entirely different level which is exactly my point.

It’s all to do with our offer and clubs matching it, like Mckay

Ultimately it's an unknown formula with special herbs and spices and the AFL should say you get end of first rd/start of 2nd rd at best.... and say you need to work harder at retaining your players

Ultimately it's an unknown formula with special herbs and spices and the AFL should say you get end of first rd/start of 2nd rd at best.... and say you need to work harder at retaining your players

I am sure they will look after us. According to all other clubs and their supporters they have gone above and beyond to help our cause lol

If we top up and overpay (like we already have for Stephens and Fisher, amongst a whole host of other duds), then we'll end up in the wilderness for another 5/6 years once the Tassie team diluted drafts come around.
Get what you're saying, but I feel like getting Fisher for the equivalent of pick 31 was pretty good.

I'd bring both if available. Both talented and experienced. Wines is still effective. Parker is only struggling for game-time in a top of the ladder team.

I'm not sure how we'd do that, unless it was a salary dump style scenario from both clubs.

We have to add leadership and mature talent without diluting our access to the top end of the draft.

Yeah? They managed to have a somewhat competitive season sandwiched between their s**t years, something we have been completely unable to do. The highest % we have managed since 2020 has been 71% and in all of those years bar 2003 (a year they won 3 games) theirs was higher.

They may have been dogshit but we are on entirely different level which is exactly my point.
No arguments from me!! You asked previously if any team had finished bottom 2, 5 years consecutive and l could only find Carlton - I don't really compare win/loss because it was a different era of footy 16 vs 18, early 2k rules vs 2020+ etc etc....your bottomline stands - where's the improvement!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back