Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s pretty standard for 19 year old mids to play outside roles at senior level. Every club in the competition do it.

The fact TP played as an inside mid at VFL level gives a fair insight into where they see him long term.

With the amount of highly talented midfielders we have & only 3 midfield positions, it is critical that all our mids learn multiple positions. Even Jy played on a wing for periods last year to quote “add versatility to his game”.

If TP is cracking the sads over that, then he needs a reality check.

He's leading the " take good friday off them charge " Reckons we are trampling his good name.

I would have thought he might be more concerned with the name of the occasion, because I always found it odd the day he was brutally killed is called Good Friday, surely it should be called something more appropriate, like Utterly Shithouse Friday 🤔

On a serious note I've been following North since 1991,and yes this is rock bottom, and I hate to get all Paul Keating but I think its the rock bottom we had to have. If Noble isn't up to the task, better we find out sooner rather than later (and pick up a couple of top draft picks in the process)

There’s the possibility he’ll play more inside when he’s built for it. He’s currently a drink of water.

If we start letting 19 yo kids dictate where they play, then we’re completely f’ed. More f’ed than we are now.

Yeah if we've said that, all good. If we haven't not so flash. He is an inside mid and may well be the best of the bunch.

But should he decide he wants out, he's got a long term deal and it would be riveting watching us negotiate. This will tell us much more about our club and its desire to be successful than any bullshit online musings from NMFC employees.

We've plenty of midfield options so not the end of the world if we can negotiate successfully. Again should this transpire.

Yeah if we've said that, all good. If we haven't not so flash. He is an inside mid and may well be the best of the bunch.

But should he decide he wants out, he's got a long term deal and it would be riveting watching us negotiate. This will tell us much more about our club and its desire to be successful than any bullshit online musings from NMFC employees.

We've plenty of midfield options so not the end of the world if we can negotiate successfully. Again should this transpire.
I'd hope young Tommy is made of better stuff than that. If not, then our recruiting practices would need to come into question.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd hope young Tommy is made of better stuff than that. If not, then our recruiting practices would need to come into question.

Normally I'd agree just ya know being stone motherless last and all. If it is an isolated incident no probs. I have no evidence to suggest this but I feel we're a basket case still.

Just going through the motions with a management group battling to keep their heads above water.

Oh well.

Normally I'd agree just ya know being stone motherless last and all. If it is an isolated incident no probs. I have no evidence to suggest this but I feel we're a basket case still.

Just going through the motions with a management group battling to keep their heads above water.

Oh well.
Oh well indeed. Should be our marketing slogan.

NMFC- Oh well in 2021/22/23........

****in hope so. I'm sick of being shit. Highlight of my entire footy watching life has been watching us win a Semi Final, and I'm close to 30 years old!

"Rock bottom" hmmmm? :think:

I'd say more iron ore cause we can't be very far from the Earth's core right now :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Oh well.
You've changed your tune massively in the last 3 weeks or so. Struggle to see what could have changed drastically in that time?

I would say yes it is.

First half of 2021 was bad but there were still some glimpses in games, 2020 after the first two wins was horrific but had outside circumstances at play there. Same applies for 2019, coach sacked and caretaker takes over but there were plenty of glimpses particularly in second half of the year

We look really really bad and I think a lot of it has to do with players missing and team selection.

• Cunnington out, he is clearly our best and most important player, this can't be understated. We have won one game without him since mid 2013 and that was against a WAFL team
  • The ruck situation - I love Goldy but he doesn't play well with others, we have known this for 10 years since the Hamish situation. We need to bite the bullet and say he is our number 1 ruck 80% or drop him. This part of our game is really effecting our forward and ruck set up and has to be fixed immediately
  • Players being moved around - Turner looks ok as a tagger, moved to defense, moved to forward, back to tagger, not once dropped? Jack down back, gets moved once as a pinch hitter forward, kicks 5, hasn't got near it since, watch him moved back again. Don't make spots for players, we are developing, they need steadiness on every line for the younger group
  • Players out of form - how many of our players are in good form? 1? 2?
  • The game plan - what is it? Does anyone know?

In total we are all over the shop, the game plan or lack there of stinks, the selection is all over the shop and I can't see a way out of it.

Taking out Cunnington being out, there are really no other excuses, yes there have been other injuries but he is really the only one you can really pin point as having a big effect. Full pre season for the coach and fitness team, a full season behind him in the coaches box, we should be progressing and based on this year compared to last year everyone, including the coaching team and football admin have gone backwards.

It's a tough one, because we all thought the early part of the season last year was rock bottom, and that we wouldn't have to endure what the Dogs did to us again.

The factors I see that are out of the team's direct control and have affected our performance are:
  1. Consistent injuries to good players. LDU, Thomas, McKay, Hall, Zurhaar, Phillips (who i think is best 22), Jed (who I don't think is best 22 but who is a damn good player to have on your side when morale is low) and of course Cunners have all missed games this year. ****ing infuriating, would be nice to have a stretch of games with no ****ing injuries.
  2. Players seem down on confidence. Whether that started on the training track and spilled over into the games, or started when we started getting thrashed and has only exacerbated since then, I'm not sure. But confidence isn't something that can be fixed with a yo-yo and a snap of your fingers.
  3. We've had a pretty rough draw. The difficulty of Dogs (they're a bit shit now but they match up superbly against us), Sydney, Geelong and Brisbane in the first 6 games can't be understated, and we can't let results there entirely determine our view of where the club's at.

The factors I see that are in our control and affect our performance are:
  1. The lack of semblance of a game plan. Most of our recent games have been carbon copies of what we've been doing the past 5 years. Kick it long, hope for a miracle, get sliced apart on the rebound. Players don't really seem to have been given any real direction about what to do. Last year I remember we attacked the corridor, haven't really seen too much of that this year if I'm honest.
  2. Shit setups and to a lesser extent, players being played when/where they shouldn't be. Watching Xerri and Goldy as a ruck tandem is like pulling your toenails out with a fork. It doesn't work. I personally want Goldy to play fulltime ruck with a bit of a chopout from Larkey. Make Ziebell the key forward for those moments, it won't affect us too much as Goldy will be rucking 95% of the time. Xerri goes back to the magoos to develop his marking technique and hitout technique in a lower stakes environment. Ziebell was also a liability down back when he played there, and I hope the coaching staff have realised the error of their ways there.
  3. Appalling skills. This probably links to confidence, which isn't something we can directly control, but there's no reason why a professional athlete should be missing a 20m pass onto a free teammate's chest inside 50. ****, I've seen U14 players who I'd trust more with that kick than some blokes on this team. It shouldn't be hard to execute. Whether there are mental demons at play there, I'm not sure, but these blokes need to be practicing basic skills to the extent that they can perform them automatically in a game. Right now, the team's play doesn't suggest that they've been practicing those skills to that extent, and I can't think of an excuse why this should be the case. If pressure is the issue, then simulate pressure in training and make the players hit a kick or handball under severe pressure. Laughable really that a professional sporting organisation struggles with this so much.
I don't think all these factors combine to really justify sacking Noble. He showed his ability last year with that good run we had. Would be silly to just toss him on the discard pile and bring in someone else who'd bring us back to square one and require a good chunk of time to exert his influence over the playing group. But he's on notice, and if we don't see evidence that the boys are playing with an objective in mind, it'll be nervous times for him. Rebuilds are not supposed to unfold in this backwards way. Beating Carlton by 40 points and consistently losing by 10 goals the next year is concerning. There was promise shown in the Sydney game, and I don't think it's too much to ask for performances that at least loosely resemble that to become more prevalent over the season. Hopefully we'll have more clarity about things in 6 weeks or so. I'm not discounting a turnaround similar to that of last year just yet.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back