News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

I found the Roar Deal thanks to you lot on here on Spotify and I was listening to one from a week or two when Sarah Kelly was on and she mentioned that she'd like to use our new base in Springfield by bringing in some demountable stands. Of course nothing was concrete but I like this idea as you could get a train right into the ground although tix would be hard to come by even for us members if capacity is like 15000.

I found the Roar Deal thanks to you lot on here on Spotify and I was listening to one from a week or two when Sarah Kelly was on and she mentioned that she'd like to use our new base in Springfield by bringing in some demountable stands. Of course nothing was concrete but I like this idea as you could get a train right into the ground although tix would be hard to come by even for us members if capacity is like 15000.
Somebody on here the other day said
Jacob Anson from the lions has said the club has a current venue in Brisbane line up for when the Gabba is unavailable . It’s going to be upgraded and have a capacity of 25K. It’s well underway for that to be done won’t say the venue Lions don’t want it know yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was surprised to hear Sarah Kelly's comments which seemed to contradict Jake Anson, but I think Sarah did defer to Jake as being more of an expert in stadium/venue matters.

Just as an aside, I don't personally have much of an insight into this, I've just been passing on information given directly to me and about a dozen other platinum members at the Springfield site tour a few weeks ago. It may turn out that we do go with Springfield - but if we do, it would suggest a major change in plans compared to Jake's previous firmly expressed position on the matter.

Surely a stadium being developed to hold 25k is not being done covertly.
It's actually Redcliffe - the Dolphins are just a Trojan Horse for the AFL.

Having seen some of the other areas of Olympics "planning" i'd be shocked if they have any firmish plans in place yet. But the last i heard anything about that was pre christmas so its been a few months. If its progressed, its happened amazingly fast given they were still advertising for positions to fill out a team for that area a few weeks ago.

25k seems unders to me.
I put to Jake Anson that 25k might be a bit light-on for a club with 40k members. He seemed confident that it wouldn't be too much of an issue. He said that despite having 40k members, we never sell out the 37k Gabba anyway.

It looks like a bit of planned scarcity to me, and I suspect that the Lions will be making plans to deal with the distribution of seats to members and potential impact on membership during the Gabba interregnum.

From an ABC article on the new Springfield HQ

The new facility could also become the club's best option for a home venue when the Gabba is knocked down and redeveloped for the 2032 Brisbane Olympic and Paralympic Games.

At this stage, the new arena will only cater for up to 10,000 fans but the Lions do have approval to build or add additional temporary seating to fit up to 25,000 people.

"We haven't ruled out that it could host home-and-away games, that's certainly a possibility," Wellington said.

"But we're considering some other options as well."

Among the list of possible venues is the Ekka Showgrounds and Carrara Stadium, currently home to the Gold Coast Suns.

"We don't want to lose a home ground advantage," Wellington said.

"We want to find a facility that will enable us to stay connected with our members and supporters.

"Three years is a long time, if that's the construction period, to lose that connection, so it's important that wherever we go, we can maintain that connection and obviously then there's financial considerations as well."

Wouldn't put too much stock in any of the suggestions. They could have come from this thread for all we know.

I put to Jake Anson that 25k might be a bit light-on for a club with 40k members. He seemed confident that it wouldn't be too much of an issue. He said that despite having 40k members, we never sell out the 37k Gabba anyway.

Can take out the Gabba trust members for a start. In a sellout, that's probably 3000-4000.

If this ‘new’ temporary stadium isn’t Metricon I’ll streak at the opening ceremony.

I know, I know, planning is underway but do we really see the Qld government (either party) redeveloping or building a new facility to house us for 3 years?? What are they going to do with it afterwards? It’ll get less use than the Rio Olympics swimming pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back