News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Except it's not fine. The stadium itself is ok but 95% of attendees will be coming down the highway from Brisbane. It's too far away, public transport is barely acceptable and parking is terrible. And if there's an accident on the freeway you might as well turn around.

Developing the Showgrounds leaves a legacy that enables the ground to be used for the Olympics, benefits the RNA and allows it to used as a venue for other events as well.
I agreed Metricon would take to long for people to get to. A venue in Brisbane is a lot more easier for fans to get to.

Just on that main MacDonald stand at the Showgrounds: it's a beautiful bit of early Queensland architecture and I'd hate to lose it. But speaking as someone who used to sit in it regularly when the Brisbane Bandits baseball team played there: it sucks as a spectator venue. The posts supporting the roof are major obstructions, even for a sport as static as baseball.

RNA show grounds are heritage listed, but the whole falls under the Bowen Hills ULDA which means red tape can be cut. I imagine the old stands would be preserved , but Machinery hill torn down

RNA show grounds are heritage listed, but the whole falls under the Bowen Hills ULDA which means red tape can be cut. I imagine the old stands would be preserved , but Machinery hill torn down

Now you're just repeating yourself.

Could we play out of two venues such as Springfield against the smaller drawing teams and then bigger team at Metricon or games in FNQ or elsewhere such as in Melbourne for our Roys fans to get more games for them? Personally, I'd find the RNA pretty unappealling but thats selfishly me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you're just repeating yourself.

Metricon can go straight to the bin. No direct public transport. Piss poor roads and parking. Spend 2 hours commuting to get face blasted by the sun or rain. No thanks. Would rather watch the filthy broncos with dazza and wayno than watch a season of lions games at metricon.
Agree with everything said except watching the filthy broncos. Metricon is a terrible place to watch football.

Surely we play a couple of home games in Melbourne a season. Would be a missed opportunity. For qld we should play at Springfield for majority. 10k at Springfield would be awesome atmosphere compared to 8k at Metricon

Surely we play a couple of home games in Melbourne a season. Would be a missed opportunity. For qld we should play at Springfield for majority. 10k at Springfield would be awesome atmosphere compared to 8k at Metricon

There’s no way the club will be happy capping attendances anywhere under 20k I don’t think. Whatever the solution is, it will have to be able to reach 20k. That will rule Springfield out going off Jake’s latest comments, and really does make it sound like it’s going to be the RNA.

There’s no way the club will be happy capping attendances anywhere under 20k I don’t think. Whatever the solution is, it will have to be able to reach 20k. That will rule Springfield out going off Jake’s latest comments, and really does make it sound like it’s going to be the RNA.

Would be a pretty fortunate result for Brisbane - both the club and city. By then you'd expect the big stadium touring bands will be back and RNA would be a great spot if renovated, not to mention less trampling on the Gabba and Suncorp the better!

Did a bit of playing around with my GIS software. Was surprised that the current arena is larger than I actually thought. Green is the dimensions of The Gabba. Obviously there would need to be some kind of reconfiguration - making the wings narrower, but you could possibly make the ground a little longer to compensate.

1654123053632.png
As PKWAG says above Springfield seems to be a no-go. Not sure the existing members would be happy with an even greater reduction in capacity. As it stand there will still need to be some rationing of ticketing, with a possible discount in membership prices commensurate with the being fewer games available. Given the short turnaround between any decision and moving away from the Gabba, there may be a period where we don't have a home (much like the Suns had for half a season) where we play more in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back