Preview Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 14th May, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Cats

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’d prefer Adams in over Battle this year?

Can’t see that happening.
Provided he was playing well enough to deserve a game, I think he's the perfect fit for our back half.

Would allow Battle or Highmore to actually play as an intercept defender (like Stewart or Lever ) rather than having to play as an undersized key defender.

Could not agree more. Players like Stewart, L.Ryan, Moore, Aliir, May etc have been our cryptonite for years.

This is an essential problem for us to work out not just this week, but if we ever want to be a serious September team.

Realistically, Stewart would have to be about $1.20 for the 3 votes. Spotlight 100% should be on the coaching panel to see what they do this week.
They shouldn't be. If you're gonna lose get beaten by a better midfield or key forward, not 'defenders' who mostly play on patches of grass most of the time.

Not this week but this is the back half I'd love to see at some stage this year

Wilkie Howard Paton

Webster Adams Highmore
Why?

Battle has been back there for 5 minutes and looks one of our best players this year

Only 3 other teams in the competition have had less points kicked against them

I doubt Adams will even be considered this year to he honest

Interesting to compare defensive forwards.

Butler has been down somewhat in his last couple of games.

However his stats compare well with Picketts who plays a similar role.

1652172189932.png

Tackle and pressure wise Butler is the odd one out in our forward group (see below). So with him out, who will take the pressure role?

Long probably the best fi.

Some want Sharman in for Butler. Obviously a better mark, but who then takes on the forward pressure role.

Or are we ok that Cats will just be able to rebound with ease?
1652172466902.png

Hard to see us bringing in either Lienert or to a lesser extent Highmore, with Clark due back next week- if he doesn’t return this week, which would make it even less likely that either of the other two come in.
hard to see Clarke coming back after what I saw of the VFL

Interesting to compare defensive forwards.

Butler has been down somewhat in his last couple of games.

However his stats compare well with Picketts who plays a similar role.

View attachment 1397073

Tackle and pressure wise Butler is the odd one out in our forward group (see below). So with him out, who will take the pressure role?

Long probably the best fi.

Some want Sharman in for Butler. Obviously a better mark, but who then takes on the forward pressure role.

Or are we ok that Cats will just be able to rebound with ease?
View attachment 1397085
Skunk being second last is worrying, I know that’s not his role but he’s not been himself this year, starting to wonder if that’s a effort thing?

Whoops my mistake - didn't realise our back half is structurally perfect.

One tall and 3 medium defenders and two small defenders - perhaps the Dee's, Freo, the Lions and the Blues might pick up on that structure.

Get a decent tall chb and then Battle/Highmore/Coffield might then be able to play a bit more like Stewart, Lever etc etc!!

Like I said I'd love to see Adams make that progression because ATM he's only "key" defender we've got in development stage.

Whoops my mistake - didn't realise our back half is structurally perfect.

One tall and 3 medium defenders and two small defenders - perhaps the Dee's, Freo, the Lions and the Blues might pick up on that structure.

Get a decent tall chb and then Battle/Highmore/Coffield might then be able to play a bit more like Stewart, Lever etc etc!!

Like I said I'd love to see Adams make that progression because ATM he's only "key" defender we've got in development stage.
How many clubs have an 18 year old 83kg player as a key defender though?

Gibcus was a top 10 pick and they play him as a third tall

Battle is almost 10kg heavier Adams and the same height as May.

It would be a baffling decision to drop him after how he has performed for a skinny kid still trying to find his feet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key wording there is "development stage".

Adams is yes promising, but he is very raw, and at 85 kg he is very light.

He needs more games, more experience and yes more mass and muscle.

He needs to mainly play at Sandi this season and develop.

How many clubs have an 18 year old 83kg player as a key defender though?

Gibcus was a top 10 pick and they play him as a third tall

Battle is almost 10kg heavier Adams and the same height as May.

It would be a baffling decision to drop him after how he has performed for a skinny kid still trying to find his feet
If we dropped Battle and replaced him with Adams it would be because Adams is playing better.

But my point is pretty straight forward - currently our defence is slightly undersized and as a result it reduces our capacity to allow someone to play as a purely offensive intercept defender.

Lets say we'd picked up Robbie Tarrant this year, who takes the 3rd tall spot. Coffield, Battle or Highmore?

Don't get confused - Battle plays chb because ATM we don't have anyone better, not because he's a great CHB.

If we dropped Battle and replaced him with Adams it would be because Adams is playing better.

But my point is pretty straight forward - currently our defence is slightly undersized and as a result it reduces our capacity to allow someone to play as a purely offensive intercept defender.

Lets say we'd picked up Robbie Tarrant this year, who takes the 3rd tall spot. Coffield, Battle or Highmore?

Don't get confused - Battle plays chb because ATM we don't have anyone better, not because he's a great CHB.
Adams is 13kg lighter than Robbie Tarrant...

And I don't remember us chasing Tarrant

If we dropped Membrey for Matt Allison it would be because he was playing better

Both are zero chance of happening though so I'm not sure why I'm bothering with the conversation

During the first 6 weeks of the season, we had the most dangerous forward line in the comp, and the idea that we were seriously keen on recruiting Ben King seemed like madness. But now I'm starting to think we need another marking target up forward, especially because Membrey is playing predominantly up the wings (only 3 of his 17 touches were in the forward 50). The problem is evident by looking at how often we are kicking it to Higgins on a long lead, which is just not sustainable.

Ben King is obviously off the cards, but Sharman is available, and I think we just need to build him into our structure to give us another avenue to goal.
Sharman up front and Highmore down back, coz big guys that mark the ball are a good thing.

Agree to an extent with what your saying, but Joyce would be the only feasible option for this and Battle has been very good so wouldn't leave him out. On Joyce, he has been very good for Sandy tho

NWM probably needs to miss this game, have been watching him closely and i'll give him a little slack beacuse of his age but he appears to avoiding body contact when he needs to tackle just a small observation he will get better but! not against Geelong this week they will exploit it,bring him back for the Adelaide game.
Wang's done really well but with a very good block of games under his belt now l think its best he gets a rest and then some VFL. With senior players queuing up for selection l want to see the kids managed and primed to fill a spot layer in the season.
Would also be good for Chito to get a couple of games sooner rather than later. That round 1 debacle wasn't very fair on him.

Skunk being second last is worrying, I know that’s not his role but he’s not been himself this year, starting to wonder if that’s a effort thing?
I doubt it's an effort thing, but he should be applying more pressure. Maybe it's just not a focus for him, but he is actually lightning quick so no reason he cant

Out: Butler, NWM

In: Billings, Lienert.

Clark needs another week at Sandy. Long goes forward, Lienert goes back to his role in defence.

We saw last year that Geelong had no answer to a fit King. This is a game we need to be winning.
How about out Butler, out 2 others.
Long to Butler role, Battle to Longs role, Joyce in to Lock down defender.
And Billings in for some one.
Wings to consist of D Train, the M train and NWM.
Don't know who to leave out.

Jones will be much better for the run. I think it's time to bring in Highmore. If Clark is ready he has to come in along with Billings.

It's a must win game. Obviously everyone has jumped off us after the two losses but we're still right in the mix and haven't played a few of the really poor sides.

Having said that if we want to play finals then these are the games we have to win.

In: Billings Highmore Clark
Out: Butler Webster Wood

Probably harsh on Wood but I just can't drop Nasiah after seeing him kick the ball. It's a thing of beauty.
I understand what you are saying..its glorious I hope he stays in to..
Wood was good on the weekend, he won't be playing for Sandy this week.

How about out Butler, out 2 others.
Long to Butler role, Battle to Longs role, Joyce in to Lock down defender.
And Billings in for some one.
Wings to consist of D Train, the M train and NWM.
Don't know who to leave out.
I reckon Battle is having a pretty good season and wouldn't change his role. He might get beaten by Cameron this weekend but he wont improve that part of his game if he dont expose him to the best forwards.

Was Joyce an emergency against Melbourne? Noticed he didn’t play VFL.

I think Batch’s Review gave away Lienert this week. Seemed of the opinion he’d most likely be playing AFL level this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back