Preview Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 14th May, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Cats

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Membrey leads out lots. Don't let his incredible standing vertical fool you.

He seemed to play as a defensive forward on Alir and get towelled up then a more mobile perhaps high running HF from watching on TV against Melbourne. He looks much better as a player when he has a very defined role. He's due for a big game, he's had a his colours lowered for 2 weeks straight.

King’s game:

Geelong fans seem to think Sam De Koning will match up on King.

I’d be frothing at the mouth if that was the match-up.

From what I’ve seen of Sam, he’s a young prospect great marker at 200+ cm, who isn’t one for the physical side of defending.

The strategy there would be to out-mark King which is something no team has bothered trying to do yet, they often opt to double teaming or physicality. I wouldn’t be surprised if they double teamed him with De Koning and Blicavs, but then our resting ruck and Membrey would be free to get loose.

If we are kicking to King’s advantage, no matter his opponent this week he’s going to kick 5+ easily.

Easy to forget he kicked 1.5 against Geelong the first time last year and was very dominant. And the second time we played them at GMHBA, in our opening Qtr when we blitzed them he was BOG absolutely crucifying all their defenders and ripping the game open before he got injured early. We lost both games, opposed to Geelong winning them in my eyes. It’ll be great to see if we can grow this Saturday.

This game has King’s name all over it.

In:
Lienert - reward form, can he play small?
Highmore - see above
Billings - for Butler
Owens - reward form

Out:
Butler (inj)
Long (form)
Windhager or NWM (very stiff for Owens, rotate these three)
Webster (form)

Lienert adds kicking skills and smarts to the backline, something we sorely missed.

Highmore adds an intercept threat, to help out Battle and Highmore with Hawkins/Cameron.

Only risk is if we're too tall, if one of Lienert or Highmore can play small though, it'll work.

Last thing will be a tag on Stewart. Aerobically Wood could do that. In an aerial sense, Highmore would be a good match too.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Long out based on form? Wtf?

He seemed to play as a defensive forward on Alir and get towelled up then a more mobile perhaps high running HF from watching on TV against Melbourne. He looks much better as a player when he has a very defined role. He's due for a big game, he's had a his colours lowered for 2 weeks straight.
I don't think he was playing a a defensive forward. Aliir was just playing on Membrey and gave him a bath

King’s game:

From what I’ve seen of Sam, he’s a young prospect great marker at 200+ cm, who isn’t one for the physical side of defending.

The strategy there would be to out-mark King which is something no team has bothered trying to do yet, they often opt to double teaming or physicality. I wouldn’t be surprised if they double teamed him with De Koning and Blicavs, but then our resting ruck and Membrey would be free to get loose.

If we are kicking to King’s advantage, no matter his opponent this week he’s going to kick 5+ easily.

Easy to forget he kicked 1.5 against Geelong the first time last year and was very dominant. And the second time we played them at GMHBA, in our opening Qtr when we blitzed them he was BOG absolutely crucifying all their defenders and ripping the game open before he got injured early. We lost both games, opposed to Geelong winning them in my eyes. It’ll be great to see if we can grow this Saturday.

I think that plan would be to engage King and have Stewart drop in front to mop up. We need some blocking and team first forward craft or it will go like the last 2 weeks.

I don't think he was playing a a defensive forward. Aliir was just playing on Membrey and gave him a bath

It looked the other way around. Membrey seemed to be on him and he was on someone else. Quite a few times Tim seemed to block up our run like he was trying to clutter our forward line up. He had a shithouse game.

So it looks like Long will replace Butler and perhaps Billings for The Messiah, although I'm not convinced he needs a rest just yet. Our defence seems fine and our mids are getting their hands on the ball so not sure who else might come in to match up on the Cats.

The big problem remains delivery into the forward 50. We have been appalling at that for the last 2 games. We've lost the connection. Either the kicking has been poor or the forwards have not been getting into the right positions, or both.

We must take all our chances. That includes our small forwards being front and centre of high ball kicks to a forward pack. Again our smalls haven't been there for the past couple of games and the ball has been swept away by opposition backs. Being front and centre of packs remains an integral part of footy. Always has been and always will be. Its not as if they don't have time to get there because we've telegraphed that play, so where have they been and why aren't they there? The Cats defence will mop up easily if we don't hold the ball in that forward zone.

On another point, the video of Ratts address to the players after the Demons game showed he is the type of coach players can believe in. He was instructive, clear and supportive and gave a very positive vibe about the stuff the players can learn from. Hopefully this week the ball is in our forward half more than in theirs!

Fairly confident we get the win here. Back on our deck, getting a good side together, Geelong have quite a few injuries.

The media have been very quick to jump on them and off us but I feel we get back to playing good footy this weekend and beat them comfortably.

Fairly confident we get the win here. Back on our deck, getting a good side together, Geelong have quite a few injuries.

The media have been very quick to jump on them and off us but I feel we get back to playing good footy this weekend and beat them comfortably.

I’ll have what he’s had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King’s game:

Yes a good match up for us if it occurs as DK is inexperienced and not strong.

DeKoning may well line up on King, but if so he will not trying to outmark him unless DK is in a better position, but to spoil him. The trick with King is to keep him from having a good marking attempt.

If Stanley plays then Blicaavs would probably go to King. Otherwise he rucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoops my mistake - didn't realise our back half is structurally perfect.

One tall and 3 medium defenders and two small defenders - perhaps the Dee's, Freo, the Lions and the Blues might pick up on that structure.

Get a decent tall chb and then Battle/Highmore/Coffield might then be able to play a bit more like Stewart, Lever etc etc!!

Like I said I'd love to see Adams make that progression because ATM he's only "key" defender we've got in development stage.
Don’t Melbourne have a similar if not smaller structure.

You keep saying that but membery was clearly our best forward and by some margin last week. He was one of better players on the ground. Not sure he even played on alir.

Why would we though. How often do we need to see Joyce before we realise he isn’t good enough on a bigger player.
I'm ambivalent on it tbh.
What l do want to see is how we function with a FB (Joyce) and Highmore brought into this squad.
I want to see Doogle and Batts be used as 2nd and 3rd talls to have an idea of the need for a proper big FB, and I'd prefer a more physically dominant defense than what we've been running with.

I'm ambivalent on it tbh.
What l do want to see is how we function with a FB (Joyce) and Highmore brought into this squad.
I want to see Doogle and Batts be used as 2nd and 3rd talls to have an idea of the need for a proper big FB, and I'd prefer a more physically dominant defense than what we've been running with.
We are the 4th best defense in the league after 8 rounds and haven't played North or WC

King’s game:

West Coast tried it last year, with McGovern and Barrass zoning off King and trying to 'out-mark' him

King kicked 5.2

This weeks game to me is the most important of the season and should tell us if we are pretenders or not.
I'm expecting at least a 4 goal win to galvanize the team into the top 4 with Crows and North to follow.

King needs to get better at leading I agree but he is improving in that area and he's not that bad.

This wasn't the issue on the weekend. He didn't have any room to move anyway.
He was shocking stood there all day with his hand in the air. Cant remember one decent lead.

I’ll have what he’s had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha I don't think their season has been any more impressive than ours so far has it? They're certainly beatable and I think Henry is a big out for them.

This weeks game to me is the most important of the season and should tell us if we are pretenders or not.
I'm expecting at least a 4 goal win to galvanize the team into the top 4 with Crows and North to follow.
Crows will not be easy to beat and day North will beat a team, let's hope it it's not the Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back