Preview Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 14th May, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Cats

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
George I respect your position as moderator and of all that you do and have done on here, but mate time to put on your big boy pants and stop the childish rubbish. Show some maturity and you will be respected by all for the work you do. No need for cheap shots, point scoring and posting to piss off posters on here, who come here for Saints discussion, not the other rubbish.

I went off here for 3 years or so ago, as have low tolerance for this sort of rubbish. If it's another poster, yes put them on ignore and no more annoyance, with a mod, what do we do then? Time to take a deep breath take the high road.
I respect your opinion but this is quite clearly a joke. I will make it more obvious next time.

Who's position does he take
Billings - Marshall - Higgins
Gresham - King - Membery

He also has to turn it on in the 2s first like everyone attempting to get in the team.
He has a very good chance of getting a game in the coming weeks if one of the ruck's take a break because we need the other tall marking player there.
Billings hasn't turned it on in the 2s and neither did jones , I would have Sharman in the forward line instead Billings & Billings on the wing
Also are we moving Hill from the HF role he plays for Billings

Last edited:
My 2c

Outs
Paton: his kicking has been poor last 3 weeks and his opponent has got the better of him
Butler: besides pressure hasn't don't much and under a cloud

Ins
Highmore: help out the defence with Long/Webster taking the small forwards
Billings: Play his usual role across half forward

The other one would be NWM for a rest and play Sharman in that case Billings to the wing and Sharman inside the 50 with Membrey playing the lead up role

Well I guess it's a balancing act, it's all very well having the extra runner/pressure player but if you can't make it count on the scoreboard with enough goals to get a winning score then that doesn't count for much.
We've been very good in that regard except for the game underwater and against the best defence in the comp.

Feel this will be the perfect way to reset our season. It won't be an easy win at all. But to win against another top 4 candidate, and one who is our bogey team will be huge. It's crazy to me that we could have beaten them twice last year. Both of those wins came down to Maxy. Kicked 1.5 in the first, we were absolutely dominate down at the cattery until he went off injured.

I expect the same to happen. It has all the makings of his first huge breakout game. The two games last year, some average form the last couple of games.

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wha?

You don’t see many games live do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he has a point though, do we even really need to omit any of King, Marshall or Membery to play Sharman? Not sure. It didn't work the best with Hayes but Hayes plays taller than he is where as Sharman can provide a bit more outside. And Wood is playing less and less like a tall with every week that goes by. Membery is struggling so pushing him up the ground even more isn't the worst option and neither Marshall nor Ryder have been impacting up forward either so if one spends longer on the bench so be it.

We'll see how Billing's inclusion impacts our set up but the fact of the matter is we need more avenues to goal because at the moment it is King and Higgins or bust. We are over thinking it imho, give Sharman the Nas treatment and just keep playing him at AFL level because he has something and is exciting.

In:
Lienert - reward form, can he play small?
Highmore - see above
Billings - for Butler
Owens - reward form

Out:
Butler (inj)
Long (form)
Windhager or NWM (very stiff for Owens, rotate these three)
Webster (form)

Lienert adds kicking skills and smarts to the backline, something we sorely missed.

Highmore adds an intercept threat, to help out Battle and Highmore with Hawkins/Cameron.

Only risk is if we're too tall, if one of Lienert or Highmore can play small though, it'll work.

Last thing will be a tag on Stewart. Aerobically Wood could do that. In an aerial sense, Highmore would be a good match too.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Owens is a kicking liability atm unless he’s playing as a fern he stays out

I see what your saying. The forward line hasn't been working that well over at least the last couple of weeks and even for periods in other games. The good thing about Sharman is he spreads the defence, which is where we have been lacking imo. We need to do this to keep defenders accountable and be less predictable with the ball. We don't need to tag an intercept defender, we need to spread and say you can zone off, but I will hurt you here or you can be accountable and you can't be the 3rd man interceptor.

Also, Billings hasn't even played yet and Gresh and Ro will rotate to mid

That was what Hayes was able to do. If you left him to double team King you'd get him in behind in space. We miss that third tall option. Marshall doesn't have as much forward craft.

Sharman isn't mentioned at all in our in the mix article, so pretty much no chance to come in. Billings looks a definite.

Sharman - fan favourite and seems like he's not coaches favourite. Maybe this has to do with his forward line pressure acts but I'm sure someone can tell me.

Two more goals for Sandringham, was hoping for a return to the seniors ASAP.

As I've said before, I would like a rejigging of our forward line. I think we need other marking options down there with forward craft. It's okay to be resting ruckman, but they are resting... I'm not sure we will ever see Ryder or Marshall kick 6 goals as but I think Sharman could one day.

Sharman - fan favourite and seems like he's not coaches favourite. Maybe this has to do with his forward line pressure acts but I'm sure someone can tell me.

As I've said before, I would like a rejigging of our forward line. I think we need other marking options down there with forward craft. It's okay to be resting ruckman, but they are resting... I'm not sure we will ever see Ryder or Marshall kick 6 goals as but I think Sharman could one day.
The best pressure act on the opposition is to take marks and kick goals, and Sharman had no problem doing that later last season. Bring him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's more to do with the forward setup than it is to do with Sharman

We play every game with 3 key forwards (one of them a ruck) and another ruck

Hayes got the nod over Sharman when Ryder was out due to the fact he can pinch hit in the ruck.

He performed so well that we had no choice but to leave him there when Ryder returned but it only lasted one week and he was out.

That was a result of the low amount of pressure applied forward that week I think

Can we fit all of King, Marshall, Sharman and Membrey forward?

I'm not sure of the answer but I'm guessing the coaches think it's just too tall.

I hope he gets an opportunity at some stage. I'd probably prefer we just try one ruck when Ryder needs a rest to give Sharman a go.

We all want Sharman to be playing but really he has not been great in the 2s and I'm pretty sure once he can kick a few more goals he will make his case.
Marshall is one of our best contested markers and he could easily kick a bag when you least expect it and everyone has to remember when they are playing 2 ruckmen he isn't resting and if he was he would be on the bench.
Membery has kicked bags and because he hasn't doesn't mean he will not in the future.
Saying we are just rely on King and Higgins is not the case , it has only turned out that way.

I'm only expecting one change this week and that is Butler for Billings.

The best pressure act on the opposition is to take marks and kick goals, and Sharman had no problem doing that later last season. Bring him in.

Pressure acts are only important when the opposition defenders have the ball but if you have someone like Sharman who can mark and kick goals there is less need for pressure acts.

We have more need for pressure acts when King is getting double teamed and the ball is being spoiled and going to opposition defenders.

Pressure acts are only important when the opposition defenders have the ball but if you have someone like Sharman who can mark and kick goals there is less need for pressure acts.

We have more need for pressure acts when King is getting double teamed and the ball is being spoiled and going to opposition defenders.
That is either a very unrealistic understanding of what a small pressure player does or an extreme overrating of Sharman.

We all want Sharman to be playing but really he has not been great in the 2s and I'm pretty sure once he can kick a few more goals he will make his case.
Marshall is one of our best contested markers and he could easily kick a bag when you least expect it and everyone has to remember when they are playing 2 ruckmen he isn't resting and if he was he would be on the bench.
Membery has kicked bags and because he hasn't doesn't mean he will not in the future.
Saying we are just rely on King and Higgins is not the case , it has only turned out that way.

Agree, they would think it's too tall and would effect forward pressure. Probably why we're giving Sharman some development on the wing to give him a bit of versatility. He is pretty silky with the ball and a good decision maker as well but like our wings in the 1sts - we need to get more production
Edit: this was replying to Birdman's post

Agree, they would think it's too tall and would effect forward pressure. Probably why we're giving Sharman some development on the wing to give him a bit of versatility. He is pretty silky with the ball and a good decision maker as well but like our wings in the 1sts - we need to get more production
I hope he get's a run soon and having our next few games at Marvel should workout good for him with dry conditions.

We all know Coopers history.

The last AFL game he played he kicked 4 and got a Brownlow vote.

Combine that with he's never kicked less than 2 goals in an AFL game.

He's not even in the mix when it comes to this week, and we desperately need a big score when playing against Geelong.

I'm not sold on our forward line setup at the moment, hopefully the inclusion of Billings will make us more potent.

We need another key marking target up forward which can kick goals to take some pressure off King & Marshall and spread the opposition defence

Sharman is that guy and should be playing
If he comes in and plays a single role. “Mark the ball and kick goals” he’ll either do that or take attention away from king

He's not even in the mix when it comes to this week, and we desperately need a big score when playing against Geelong.

I'm not sold on our forward line setup at the moment, hopefully the inclusion of Billings will make us more potent.
I'm a massive Sharman fan, but to be honest I also think we've got one of the best forward line in the comp

I don't think our forward line played any role in how we managed to lose in the weekend.

We were well beaten in the middle and out ball movement early gave our forwards zero opportunity

Even the Port game it was only poor kicking that cost us

If we had a quality midfield we'd be kicking big scores every weeks IMO

Sharman has the foot IQ to be a outstanding player but if he can't kick more than 2 against players in the VFL you have to be dreaming he will come straight in and kick a bag in the seniors , don't worry I want him to but when you want the selectors to show selection integrity he currently doesn't warrant selection.

I'm not sold on our forward line setup at the moment
well you might not be sold on our forward set up but I'am
and how couldn't you be.
Having the best young key forward developing who has shown this year when he clicks he can change a game in 10 minutes.
Higgins has to be on the way to be a All Australian the way he is going - a freak around goals
Membery is a goal kicker and always has been and because he hasn't kicked a bag this year doesn't mean he won't
Butler although hasn't been kicking goals he is there and is more than capable.
Gresham with the addition of more midfielders will be playing a lot more forward and you know how dangerous he is.
Billings who has yet to play this year plays his best football to me as a attacking half forward and no doubt will be given the opportunity.
Marshall and Ryder can all take contested marks and are always a big threat to teams when playing forward.
Even Hill has shown he can play forward and cause damage with the 4 goals he kicked this yr in one game.

I don't know another team with a more dangerous forward line.
and that is not even mentioning what Sharman is capable of.

I'm a massive Sharman fan, but to be honest I also think we've got one of the best forward line in the comp

I don't think our forward line played any role in how we managed to lose in the weekend.

We were well beaten in the middle and out ball movement early gave our forwards zero opportunity

Even the Port game it was only poor kicking that cost us

If we had a quality midfield we'd be kicking big scores every weeks IMO

I think our kicking let us down again on the weekend. Membrey, Mason Wood misses stuffed any chance we had to make a game of it.

Scoreboard stats don't show it but we keep missing goals at crucial times in the games.

I'd like the ball in the hands of a forward who we were confident that they will convert, and that's also what Sharman brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back