2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking around the league to see who may have a connection with VFL coach and previous Sandringham Dragons coach Jackson Kornberg.
There are a few very good players amongst this list.
And a few that aren't getting regular games.

You have to think that part of his appeal was having connection with a lot of these players.

Any that we might target for trade?

(Only included those <25 to match his tenure there)

Established Guns
Andrew Mcgrath
Andrew Brayshaw
Tim Taranto
Bailey Smith
Ollie Florent

Young stars on the rise
Archie Perkins
Jake Bowey
Finn Callghan

Good young, unproven players
Miles Bergman
Josh Sinn
Max Holmes

Borderline best 22 players at their clubs
Liam Stocker
Will Setterfield
Finn Maginess
Nathan Murphy
Joel Amartey

Unproven but highly rated juniors
Fisher McAsey
Josh Worrell

Being realistic (but still optimistic).. I wouldn't mind sounding out guys like
Mcgrath, Stocker, Amartey, McAsey, Worrell

The Adelaide key position players seem a long way off AFL, but they're only young and we know it can take some time..
That's uncanny as I was doing the same thing last night!

The top 5 are no hope to come here.The rest - not sure on except Bergman.

I came up with a much shorter list based on:

I don't think our Premiership window will really be open until 2025. The teams that are winning flags have elite midfields. End of.

Bontempelli and Dunkley, Petracca and Oliver - the entire hawthorn midfield 2011 - 2015
You get the drift.

I don't know if it is because we have been starved of stability, starved of any sniff of success - but we do NOT have a midfield that is close to elite - even though some of us may think it.

Miller is elite - but just knows one way to play.
Rankine may become elite - I think he will, and we all hope Matty R will get there too.

But where are our 30+ possession 3 goal game mids?

We simply don't have them. We have all seen the elite players at other clubs above get 40 and kick 2. Oliver has been doing it for fun this year.

That's the level we need to get to, and we are nowhere near it.

Anderson,Bowes,Flanders,Swallow,Fiorini and Constable will never be elite. 4 of them can't even get a game.

Ellis Sharpe and Luko are competing for the wing. The last 2 have little appetite for the hard ball, and Ellis will be done by 2025

Luko is an Elite kick though - where to use him is the question.

Our defence is at least 1 KPD down. It's Collins - Graham - Nothing.

Our Forward line and Ruck is good - however by 2025 Levi and Day are done - but we will have Kingy, Chol and Andrew (possibly Wittsy still) so the talls are sorted.

We don't have a 3rd tall though - a 24 yr old Gunston or Membrey would be great - but there aren't many around!

If we want to win a flag, we need to be serious about where we are - and where we want to go.

We must:

Draft in another key backman in this years draft - gives them a couple of years to develop. Noah Balta, Grainger-Barrass types. Clubs won't lets these guys go so we need to draft.

Mids - trade.
We have the likes of Burgess and Corbett (good servants) who are now below standards required. McPherson and Atkins - just take any deal to get them off the books. That frees up $$$ and maybe even gets a 4th rounder or something.

Package picks up with (christ tin-hat time now) Anderson, Bowes, Fiorini and Flanders and TRADE for potentially A grade players.

I know there is a lot of love for Noah - and he's hard as a cats head, and never gives up - but his disposal is terrible. Absolutely terrible.
The only spot I see for him is a continual up and back wingman - just cruising at his 3rd gear top speed until his oppo is exhausted. And only one direction to kick into is a bonus!
If SD won't - trade him. He may thrive at Sydney or Geelong, but not here - just too many similar players.

The list of players is very short to go after - they need to be hitting their prime in 2025 on - be at a club willing to trade, or just want to go to a club on the up.
Or maybe just need a change.

I can only think of these as being realistic:
You - know - who
James Worpel (Hawks B+F just 2 years ago) - Mitchells game plan doesn't suit him
Tanner Bruhn - stuck behind a logjam of elite mids
I like Miles Bergman as well - I don't think he is gettable at all.

One other who is older - but has missed the last couple of years with injury - Toby McClean.

I think the top 3 can be genuine A graders, and McClean has proven it already. Fills an age gap.

Forward - the 3rd tall/midsize is obvious - young, aggressive, and won't sign a contract. Cam Zurharr.

In summation - National draft for key backs
Player + picks for the 3 above
Go hard at Zurharr with trade deal.
Pick the 'best available' at the draft with remaining picks.

We won't win a flag with what we have (sorry guys) - but add LDU , Worpel, Bruhn and Zurharr and we look a genuine contender.

Once we are a 'contender' - then free-agent top up time to fill a need - nobody did it better than Hawthorn (The go-to model for the big dance success - Lake,Hale,Guerra, Burgoyne etc etc and of course our own SD!)

We have the players to trade out, we have the picks - do we have the will?

I want us to succeed. I want us, not to make up numbers in finals, but to go to the very top - before Freo win one, before GWS win one, before St Kilda finally grab their second.

How goddamn sweet would that be :heavycheck:

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

PS - I hope I haven't offended anyone - but if finishing 11th this year will be the highlight of our existence - then we have set a very low bar. It's time to change mindsets.

I don't think our Premiership window will really be open until 2025. The teams that are winning flags have elite midfields. End of.

Bontempelli and Dunkley, Petracca and Oliver - the entire hawthorn midfield 2011 - 2015
You get the drift.

I don't know if it is because we have been starved of stability, starved of any sniff of success - but we do NOT have a midfield that is close to elite - even though some of us may think it.

Rankine may become elite - I think he will, and we all hope Matty R will get there too.

We simply don't have them. We have all seen the elite players at other clubs above get 40 and kick 2. Oliver has been doing it for fun this year.

Anderson,Bowes,Flanders,Swallow,Fiorini and Constable will never be elite. 4 of them can't even get a game.

Ellis Sharpe and Luko are competing for the wing. The last 2 have little appetite for the hard ball, and Ellis will be done by 2025

Our Forward line and Ruck is good - however by 2025 Levi and Day are done - but we will have Kingy, Chol and Andrew (possibly Wittsy still) so the talls are sorted.

We don't have a 3rd tall though - a 24 yr old Gunston or Membrey would be great - but there aren't many around!

If we want to win a flag, we need to be serious about where we are - and where we want to go.

We must:

Draft in another key backman in this years draft - gives them a couple of years to develop. Noah Balta, Grainger-Barrass types. Clubs won't lets these guys go so we need to draft.

Mids - trade.
We have the likes of Burgess and Corbett (good servants) who are now below standards required. McPherson and Atkins - just take any deal to get them off the books. That frees up $$$ and maybe even gets a 4th rounder or something.

Package picks up with (christ tin-hat time now) Anderson, Bowes, Fiorini and Flanders and TRADE for potentially A grade players.

I know there is a lot of love for Noah - and he's hard as a cats head, and never gives up - but his disposal is terrible. Absolutely terrible.
The only spot I see for him is a continual up and back wingman - just cruising at his 3rd gear top speed until his oppo is exhausted. And only one direction to kick into is a bonus!
If SD won't - trade him. He may thrive at Sydney or Geelong, but not here - just too many similar players.

The list of players is very short to go after - they need to be hitting their prime in 2025 on - be at a club willing to trade, or just want to go to a club on the up.

You - know - who
James Worpel (Hawks B+F just 2 years ago) - Mitchells game plan doesn't suit him

One other who is older - but has missed the last couple of years with injury - Toby McClean.

I think the top 3 can be genuine A graders, and McClean has proven it already. Fills an age gap.

Forward - the 3rd tall/midsize is obvious - young, aggressive, and won't sign a contract. Cam Zurharr.

We won't win a flag with what we have (sorry guys) - but add LDU , Worpel, Bruhn and Zurharr and we look a genuine contender.

Once we are a 'contender' - then free-agent top up time to fill a need - nobody did it better than Hawthorn (The go-to model for the big dance success - Lake,Hale,Guerra, Burgoyne etc etc and of course our own SD!)

I want us to succeed. I want us, not to make up numbers in finals, but to go to the very top - before Freo win one, before GWS win one, before St Kilda finally grab their second.

PS - I hope I haven't offended anyone - but if finishing 11th this year will be the highlight of our existence - then we have set a very low bar. It's time to change mindsets.
Anderson won't be elite?
Are you blind?

Anderson,Bowes,Flanders,Swallow,Fiorini and Constable will never be elite
IMO, if any player can become elite, it's Anderson. Just first year inside midfield, 3rd year in a system. How did Petraca and Oliver go with disposal efficiency in their early years? Oliver was one of the worst butchers of the ball just a couple of years a go.

Last edited:

I remember maybe just 2 years ago everyone was saying the same thing about Touk Miller. There were even calls to trade him.

You’re right we all over value our list cause we are one eyed but getting rid of Anderson for LDU would be the dumbest move in our history. Even worse than the Rreo and West Coast trades

Noah Anderson is 21. Geez. I’d hardly be trading him any time soon (or ever, really). Yeah his disposal is a bit suspect right now, but that is something that can improve as other aspects of the game get better (speed, endurance, awareness etc.)

Touk Miller used to be awful by foot. Now he is quite a neat kick and an All Australian.

Getting rid of Peter Wright, Will Brodie and Jarryd Lyons have made us a laughing stock.
Putting Noah Anderson up for a trade would be stupidity at best.
Made the best 22 under 22 last year and is 21 years old.
I understand what is being suggested, which is something we're not used to talking about, but hard no from me

haha The Gotham Penguin
I like what you write.

But you're completely bonkers if you think Worpel is an upgrade on Anderson.

Noah has played 2.5 seasons and is constantly getting better. Yes, he needs to improve his kicking, but with more experience and composure, I think this will come. He has started kicking more goals this year as well.

It took Petracca about 6 seasons to really become an excellent player.

I'd suggest Hollands is a good shout to become the 25 and 2 goal type performer you need.
And isn't Joel Jeffrey our 3rd tall forward? Very similar profile to Gunston. Jeffrey slightly taller and more athletic - arguably a higher ceiling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get the drift.

We must:

Mids - trade.

You - know - who

Haha, all good, different opinions, but suggesting bringing in Worpel (can't even get a game in a re-build), Zurhaar as 3rd tall (lazy, unfit, Jeffrey has already better goals, contested marks, marks I50 numbers) and shipping out Anderson who is one of the best young players in the league and has enormous scope to improve.

Definitely, WTF :grinv1:

Jeez - tough crowd. I did say I was putting my tin hat on!

Ok we will keep Anderson (I still think the wing...)

Worpel needs another club.

Bruhn and LDU can play

Zurharr needs a kick up the arse but name me another mid forward with his upside.

Take Anderson out of what I wrote and does anyone fundamentally disagree with the rest?

Anderson now goes with LDU in the - "must never be mentioned again" file.

Lets see where we are in 2 years eh guys?

Trades need to happen. Seriously.

Aaaand I will see some of you guys at the 1st final in Melbourne later in the year.

Have a great weekend boys and girls.

Bruhn and LDU can play

Zurharr needs a kick up the arse but name me another mid forward with his upside.

Take Anderson out of what I wrote and does anyone fundamentally disagree with the rest?

Aaaand I will see some of you guys at the 1st final in Melbourne later in the year.

Bruhn and LDU can play
Yeah, definitely.

Think it's going pretty early to say that none of Anderson, Hollands, Lukosius are going to be the goal kicking midfielders that good sides have.

Bruhn and LDU can play

Dude you need to chill

Bruhn and LDU can play

Worpel is a VFL player. He can go to another club but it won't fix him at all.

Zurharr is 24, there is not a massive amount of upside left for someone who has been in the system 6 years.

Bruhn and LDU can play

I think we’ll definitely try to trade out some players this year, but they won’t have much currency (if any).

Sexton
MacPherson (again)
Corbett
Burgess

Clubs will definitely chase Hollands.
Possibly Fiorini & Flanders.

Don’t think any club will be desperate enough for Day?

Anderson will be a star, was named Best Young Player last year alongside Serong by the AFLCA last year, so the coaches seem to rate him. Yeah, his disposal could be better but he has all the tools, and will get only get better with not even having 3 years in the AFL.

Worpel IMO will be nothing better than a contested ball player. A role that needs to be filled for sure, but he doesn't have the attributes that Anderson has.

It’s worth our while targeting Griffin Logue if we are serious about another big body down back to help out Collo.
and let me guess our trades and draft team will give up Rowell, Anderson and 2 first rounders for Logue. We should never deal with Freo they think ( quite rightly) that we are idiots based on previous trades, Harley, Weller, Brodie 🤮

and let me guess our trades and draft team will give up Rowell, Anderson and 2 first rounders for Logue. We should never deal with Freo they think ( quite rightly) that we are idiots based on previous trades, Harley, Weller, Brodie 🤮
Was Harley a bad trade?

Seems like we did quite well really considering Harley virtually never played another game and remained constantly
In trouble.

Harley,
2015: pick 24, pick 37, pick 55

For

2015: pick 20, pick 52
2016: pick 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back