2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just a couple of comments.

You don’t trade for depth, that just maxes out your salary cap.

You guys are loaded for mids, some can’t even get a game now. I don’t understand why some of you are looking at trading for more.

If you really want another mid, just draft Hollands jr. He looks like he’s going to be a good outside mid. Very good kick, can pull off some inside kicks that few others in this draft class can.

Next to no chance Bolton leaves Richmond. Many people have hardly noticed that Richmond are halfway through completing a rebuild, and they haven’t had to dropped all the way down to do it.

They’ll likely have another 3 picks in the top 30 again this year, and should be in a position to add at least a decent KPF and a good inside mid with their first two picks.

Just a couple of comments.

You don’t trade for depth, that just maxes out your salary cap.

You guys are loaded for mids, some can’t even get a game now. I don’t understand why some of you are looking at trading for more.

If you really want another mid, just draft Hollands jr. He looks like he’s going to be a good outside mid. Very good kick, can pull off some inside kicks that few others in this draft class can.

Next to no chance Bolton leaves Richmond. Many people have hardly noticed that Richmond are halfway through completing a rebuild, and they haven’t had to dropped all the way down to do it.

They’ll likely have another 3 picks in the top 30 again this year, and should be in a position to add at least a decent KPF and a good inside mid with their first two picks.

I don't think we are loaded at the midfield position. We've got a good starting midfield, we have an ageing midfielder in Swallow, Fiorini is serviceable at best and then we are hoping Bowes, Davies and Hollands can ascend to becoming an A grade midfielder.

Another proven midfielder ideally with the ability to play another position is what we need to improve the list in 2023.

I don't think we are loaded at the midfield position. We've got a good starting midfield, we have an ageing midfielder in Swallow, Fiorini is serviceable at best and then we are hoping Bowes, Davies and Hollands can ascend to becoming an A grade midfielder.

Another proven midfielder ideally with the ability to play another position is what we need to improve the list in 2023.
I would add Rankine who I expect to spend more minutes in the middle as he matures. I also don't give up on Flanders.

Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Bowes, Davies and Hollands.

Plus the ability to play Ainsworth, Rankine and Flanders for bursts through the midfield.

That’s pretty stacked. You’re just mostly young. But in terms of talent, you’re going to have just as deep a midfield as the Bulldogs.

Add an experienced player to that mix, and you’re just pushing one of Davies or Hollands, and Flanders in to the VFL permanently.

Hi guys does anyone know why ex Sun Jacob Dawson, killing it in the VFL yet why no club will give him a second chance?

Hi guys does anyone know why ex Sun Jacob Dawson, killing it in the VFL yet why no club will give him a second chance?
So so so slow. Perfect VFL player but in the AFL he cannot keep up with the pace. Is just an honest to god footballer who is lacking any weapons to make it at the next level.

So so so slow. Perfect VFL player but in the AFL he cannot keep up with the pace. Is just an honest to god footballer who is lacking any weapons to make it at the next level.

With where he is at now though I could say confidently he would be a good addition to a ****ed team like Norf. He could come in provide the work ethic, inside grunt etc that teams in that position need for a couple years during a rebuild. I couldn't think of a single team outside of that where he'd add much though unfortunately. He always had a nice kick too, wasn't a beautiful kick but was a solid kick you could rely on.

Collins turned 29 today I thought he was like 26.

Really hope Brock comes good. As key defensive posts take a couple years to fill out and develop.

We need to be pushing towards premiership glory asap. While Collins and swallow etc are still in and around there prime.
15/6/1994 - Turns 28 today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke-Davies-Uniacke.jpg

Oh dear. This is your promise of no more LDU? :p Is he dreaming about surfing on GC?

Because of you, I watched him closely against GWS on weekend and I liked what I saw. Would he be a difference maker for us? Would he replace Rowell, Anderson, Miller in the middle next year? I don't believe it.

Rowell and Anderson will be in their 4th year next season and should again improve and deliver consistently. Happy to stick with Swallow, Bowes to complement and Davies, Flanders, Rankine, Hollands as they develop.

Oh dear. This is your promise of no more LDU? :p Is he dreaming about surfing on GC?

Because of you, I watched him closely against GWS on weekend and I liked what I saw. Would he be a difference maker for us? Would he replace Rowell, Anderson, Miller in the middle next year? I don't believe it.

Rowell and Anderson will be in their 4th year next season and should again improve and deliver consistently. Happy to stick with Swallow, Bowes to complement and Davies, Flanders, Rankine, Hollands as they develop.
He looks to be breaking out to be a very good player in a very bad side. But i'm not sure if he's standing out because Simpkin, Greenwood, Thomas, Anderson, Powell have all gone backwards.

If North did have what we had few years ago, LDU & Ben McKay would be at the top of my list

He looks to be breaking out to be a very good player in a very bad side. But i'm not sure if he's standing out because Simpkin, Greenwood, Thomas, Anderson, Powell have all gone backwards.

If North did have what we had few years ago, LDU & Ben McKay would be at the top of my list
LDU got some break away speed, good in contest. Yes, he should turn into a very good player. Top player? Not sure.

I still don't understand why North is bad.Yes, plenty of holes in defence and forward but midfield with Goldstein should perform better, at least on paper. They don't seem to be on the same page.

I think we got to manage our cap and got a lot of developing talent already on the list. Do we need to add one top midfielder in the off season? Not sure.

Last edited:
LDU got some break away speed, good in contest. Yes, he should turn into a very good player. Top player? Not sure.

I still don't understand why North is bad.Yes, plenty of holes in defence and forward but midfield with Goldstein should perform better, at least on paper. They don't seem to be on the same page.

I think we got to manage our cap and got a lot of developing talent already on the list. Do we need to add one top midfielder in the off season? Not sure.
Yeah North performing way worse than what I would expect.
The below should all be average - above average at their respective positions in the AFL.

Larkey / Zurhaar / Ziebell / JHF / Stephenson

Goldstein / Simpkin / Thomas / LDU / Anderson

Mackay / Corr / McDonald

Throw in Scott, Powell, Taylor, CCJ as young guys learning their craft

I think it is the makings of a decent team. They are just completely underperforming.

I don't know how Thomas has got so much worse this year, or how Ziebell kicks 5 goals against Sydney and then kicked 5 goals in the other 11 games this year, or how Stepheson has kicked as many goals as Caleb Graham this year.

I said I wouldn't talk about him.
Didn't say nowt about pics....;) :)

Lets see how he goes after the bye against Crows. He should dominate.

I honestly do get what you guys are saying - but why the obsession with LDU as a pure mid?

He'd replace Weller in a heartbeat, and probably be better. Certainly more consistent.

How many 21 yr olds are potentially free next year - especially one with enormous upside.

Bolton and Dunkley are NEVER heading to Qld. This guy might.

2c

I said I wouldn't talk about him.
Didn't say nowt about pics....;) :)

Lets see how he goes after the bye against Crows. He should dominate.

I honestly do get what you guys are saying - but why the obsession with LDU as a pure mid?

He'd replace Weller in a heartbeat, and probably be better. Certainly more consistent.

How many 21 yr olds are potentially free next year - especially one with enormous upside.

Bolton and Dunkley are NEVER heading to Qld. This guy might.

2c
Completely different player to Lach, nowhere near as fast, is much more of a power and burst athlete and his kicking is mediocre to good depending on the game.
He is an inside mid, not an outside player.

Checking around the league to see who may have a connection with VFL coach and previous Sandringham Dragons coach Jackson Kornberg.
There are a few very good players amongst this list.
And a few that aren't getting regular games.

You have to think that part of his appeal was having connection with a lot of these players.

Any that we might target for trade?

(Only included those <25 to match his tenure there)

Established Guns
Andrew Mcgrath
Andrew Brayshaw
Tim Taranto
Bailey Smith
Ollie Florent

Young stars on the rise
Archie Perkins
Jake Bowey
Finn Callghan

Good young, unproven players
Miles Bergman
Josh Sinn
Max Holmes

Borderline best 22 players at their clubs
Liam Stocker
Will Setterfield
Finn Maginess
Nathan Murphy
Joel Amartey

Unproven but highly rated juniors
Fisher McAsey
Josh Worrell

Being realistic (but still optimistic).. I wouldn't mind sounding out guys like
Mcgrath, Stocker, Amartey, McAsey, Worrell

The Adelaide key position players seem a long way off AFL, but they're only young and we know it can take some time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back