Toast Kyle Chalmers - Port Adelaide Ambassador

Remove this Banner Ad

My biggest swim was at the Texas High School State Championship in Austin in 1987 where I placed 26th I think

Not bad for a state with a bigger population than Aus

I was living in Texas as an Exchange Student

Held the school record there for the 100 Fly

Nice one. I got as far as winning National Age Championships in 83 and 84 in 200 IM and 100 breaststroke. Biggest claim to fame was beating Stephen Holland’s 200 Freestyle state record at the ripe old age of 14. (Pretty much downhill since then)

Stopped training to focus on year 12 and never went back, other than several years doing surf life saving.

Just started back doing Masters swimming this year and very surprised at how much of a base I’ve retained after thirty odd years.

My goal is to do a sub 30 for 50 free before the end of the year and sub 60 for 100 free by end of next year. Currently clocking 32 for 50m and 1:12 for 100m.

Kyle Chalmers has ruled out playing AFL or SANFL footy. He got an offer to be a Cat-B rookie from Geelong, and Sam Jacobs talked him out of it, saying why go from one of the best swimmers to the 46th best player on an AFL list.

Kyle Chalmers has ruled out playing AFL or SANFL footy. He got an offer to be a Cat-B rookie from Geelong, and Sam Jacobs talked him out of it, saying why go from one of the best swimmers to the 46th best player on an AFL list.
He's still got the Elliston Roosters B-grade :)

Hopefully the club makes mention of the big man tonight at the game

A real Port Adelaide person wouldn't win gold, they'd win bronze and then tell you how hard it is to win gold or silver.
Heartbreakingly misses the podium by a fingernail because he chooses to go into the race with no goggles, because the strap on his prefered goggles broke. He has backup goggles in his bag, but he decides to opt for the no goggles strategy because he is one of the swimming game's deep thinkers

Hopefully the club makes mention of the big man tonight at the game
He said he is going to the footy tonight when interviewed at Sydney Airport by 7 this morning.

Nice one. I got as far as winning National Age Championships in 83 and 84 in 200 IM and 100 breaststroke. Biggest claim to fame was beating Stephen Holland’s 200 Freestyle state record at the ripe old age of 14. (Pretty much downhill since then)

Stopped training to focus on year 12 and never went back, other than several years doing surf life saving.

Just started back doing Masters swimming this year and very surprised at how much of a base I’ve retained after thirty odd years.

My goal is to do a sub 30 for 50 free before the end of the year and sub 60 for 100 free by end of next year. Currently clocking 32 for 50m and 1:12 for 100m.
Any memory of a bloke from that era named Playford ( nickname was fish ), he joined the army in about 1985 was posted to Townsville and retired from swimming.

Any memory of a bloke from that era named Playford ( nickname was fish ), he joined the army in about 1985 was posted to Townsville and retired from swimming.

Playford doesn’t ring a bell. Do you know what club he swam for?

Playford doesn’t ring a bell. Do you know what club he swam for?
I don't know, but from memory he grew up in the southern suburbs, I met him through a friend in Townsville in the early 1990's, it was his mate who was also from Adelaide who told me about his swimming prowess before he joined the army.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kyle was at the post match. First one I went to and stuck around for - went to the first two this year but left after 10 minutes - until Rocky interviewed coaches/players/admin. Monty was interviewed plus 4 players - Drew, X, McEntee and 1 other, and Richo. Nothing great was revealed. All pretty sad, tried a bit of positivity spin, but I didn't take it in enough to remember.

Rocky then made a bit of a song and dance about Kyle and got him on the stage, a bit of a hug, congratulated him on World Champs and Comm Games efforts asked him about the footy and keeping up with it all overseas. He said how much he missed, was disappointed at the loss but was great to be back at the footy.

Was hoping they opened it up to the public so I could ask about how an elite world class athlete trains and sets his mind to win, compared to Hinkley's somebodies gotta lose Heroes.

Kyle was at the post match. First one I went to and stuck around for - went to the first two this year but left after 10 minutes - until Rocky interviewed coaches/players/admin. Monty was interviewed plus 4 players - Drew, X, McEntee and 1 other, and Richo. Nothing great was revealed. All pretty sad, tried a bit of positivity spin, but I didn't take it in enough to remember.

Rocky then made a bit of a song and dance about Kyle and got him on the stage, a bit of a hug, congratulated him on World Champs and Comm Games efforts asked him about the footy and keeping up with it all overseas. He said how much he missed, was disappointed at the loss but was great to be back at the footy.

Was hoping they opened it up to the public so I could ask about how an elite world class athlete trains and sets his mind to win, compared to Hinkley's somebodies gotta lose Heroes.
Glad to hear that no dumbwit asked about Cody Simpson, the way he has been treated by the media over the last few months has been absolutely disgraceful.

Glad to hear that no dumbwit asked about Cody Simpson, the way he has been treated by the media over the last few months has been absolutely disgraceful.
Rocky only asked the one question of him, after praising what he had done internationally in the last couple of events he swum in.

Kyle had a big night in Melbourne last night at the FINA 25m short course swimming world champs. Won two golds.

OK a short course title win isn't quite the same as long course win, but its his first individual 100m freestyle world championship title.

And he beat the new kid on the block and the one to challenge him and Caleb Dressell in Paris, 18 year old Romanian David Popovici who finished 4th in a World Junior record and he won the 100m long course world championship in Budapest earlier this year, when Kyle didn't swim the 100m freestyle and Dressell pulled out of the championships after his heat swim having, won a couple of events. IIRC it was covid related.

In the long course world champs, in 2015 Kyle was a 17 year old and he was only a relay swimmer, 2017 he missed due to injury, think it was his heart issue, the shoulder injury came later, 2019 Caleb Dressell beat him by 0.06 in the 100m, the same margin as in Tokyo last year, and earlier this year he went to Budapest world champs, but only swam the 100m butterfly and the men's and mixed 4 x 100m freestyle relays.

He has won two long course relay world champ titles, 4 x 200m freestyle in 2019 swimming 2nd leg and in this year's mixed 4 x 100m freestyle and once again was 2nd swimmer.

But its his anchor legs swimming in the 4 x 100m Freestyle and Medley relays is where Kyle is at his best.

At the Olympics and World champs he has taken Oz usually from 5th/6th or 7th to a minor medal or just missing one, and I've said if he had some faster teammates, he would win some of these relays. He has 4 of the fastest 10 relay splits when coming from so far behind, to win Olympic and world champ minor medals.

Tuesday night he did his usual thing in the 4 x 100m freestyle mowing them down taking Oz from 4th to Silver but the Italians were too far out in front. But last night in the 4 x 50m Freestyle he finally caught them and mowed them all down taking Oz from 5th to gold medal.

I await Paris for when his newer better teammates than in the past, put him in 2nd or 3rd place in the freestyle and medley relays and he mows them all down from a reasonable distance behind, not the impossible distance behind.

Last edited:
Kyle had a big night in Melbourne last night at the FINA 25m short course swimming world champs. Won two golds.

OK a short course title win isn't quite the same as long course win, but its his first individual 100m freestyle world championship title.

And he beat the new kid on the block and the one to challenge him and Caleb Dressell in Paris, 18 year old Romanian David Popovici who finished 4th in a World Junior record and he won the 100m long course world championship in Budapest earlier this year, when Kyle didn't swim the 100m freestyle and Dressell pulled out of the championships after his heat swim having, won a couple of events. IIRC it was covid related.

In the long course world champs, in 2015 Kyle was a 17 year old and he was only a relay swimmer, 2017 he missed due to injury, think it was his heart issue, the shoulder injury came later, 2019 Caleb Dressell beat him by 0.06 in the 100m, the same margin as in Tokyo last year, and earlier this year he went to Budapest world champs, but only swam the 100m butterfly and the men's and mixed 4 x 100m freestyle relays.

He has won two long course relay world champ titles, 4 x 200m freestyle in 2019 swimming 2nd leg and in this year's mixed 4 x 100m freestyle and once again was 2nd swimmer.

But its his anchor legs swimming in the 4 x 100m Freestyle and Medley relays is where Kyle is at his best.

At the Olympics and World champs he has taken Oz usually from 5th/6th or 7th to a minor medal or just missing one, and I've said if he had some faster teammates, he would win some of these relays. He has 4 of the fastest 10 relay splits when coming from so far behind, to win Olympic and world champ minor medals.

Tuesday night he did his usual thing in the 4 x 100m freestyle mowing them down taking Oz from 4th to Silver but the Italians were too far out in front. But last night in the 4 x 50m Freestyle he finally caught them and mowed them all down taking Oz from 5th to gold medal.

I await Paris for when his newer better teammates than in the past, put him in 2nd or 3rd place in the freestyle and medley relays and he mows them all down from a reasonable distance behind, not the impossible distance behind.

That was an incredible swim. Not much margin for error on a 50m short course.

Check out the turbulence coming out of those turns. There's a lot of power being generated in those middle four lanes. Kyle possibly benefited from being on the outside.

That was an incredible swim. Not much margin for error on a 50m short course.

Check out the turbulence coming out of those turns. There's a lot of power being generated in those middle four lanes. Kyle possibly benefited from being on the outside.
Swimmers have said its like a washing machine.

You definitely can tell he dislikes talking to Rooney post races, after all the shit she tried to drag up at the trials regarding the so ca,md love triangle. Have no idea why she continues to get a media gig, absolutely one of the most annoying swimming commentators.

King Kyle has mowed them down again in a relay anchor leg and brought home gold in the 4 x 100m medley relay.

A big effort to come from 3rd and make up a body length, but as I keep saying, give him a reasonable chance and he can win swimming the anchor leg rather than coming from 5th/6th/7th to win a minor medal.

There is a but, it was a tie for gold with the yanks. It was a World Record. I've seen lots of ties in swimming for gold and minor medals, but never in a relay and never for a World Record.

The Italians were expected to win, marginally over the yanks, with Oz to win bronze, and in the video below the Italians are first with 2 or 3 strokes to go, but both Kyle and the yanks caught them.

Kyle's split of 44.63 ( vs USA 45.95 vs Italy 45.56) is the fastest ever 100m freestyle short course relay split according to this site.

When Hinkley gets the arse we bring in Kyle as a high performance assistant to our good bloke, can't perform on the big stage players.

Edit here is the tweet with the vision of the swim again as Big Footy update has chaned the coding for embedding tweets,

Last edited:
King Kyle anchor's home a world championship win for 4 x 100m Freestyle gold. He finally went in at 3rd place and only 1/2 a body length behind 1st placed Italians. Tipped to win a bronze, but dopey Brits were favourite and Dqed in the heats.

Kylie's anchor leg of 46.56 was the 7th fastest relay leg in history, he also has the 5th fastest and 2 x 8th fastest times in relay splits.

I've said for a few years that give Kyle a chance and be 3rd not 5th or 6th or 7th and he will anchor home a freestyle or medley relay gold, not bronze as he usually does with a top 10 relay split time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Kyle Chalmers - Port Adelaide Ambassador

Remove this Banner Ad

Back