Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

What a shite year!

Bont was tipped to win the Brownlow and he didn’t even make the AA team.
I thought we would have been fired up for revenge, instead we scrape in for finals, and will probably get belted in the first one, which most of us can’t get to in person.
Our game plan is crap.
Dunks is looking likely to leave.
Our recent picks outside the first round have been average at best.
Our trading has been woeful.
Sydney have made top four courtesy of a list being put together by our ex draft guru.
Our assistants are crap.
Our VFL side didn’t even make finals, after being unbeaten last year.
The AFLW list was pillaged again, and we are being totally ignored as any chance to make finals.

It feels like this club is being driven into the ground.

To make matters worse, Geelong and Melbourne, Sydney and Richmond, one of them is likely to win the premiership and are looking to get even stronger through trading.

Its enough to make you feel like giving AFL away. :huh:
All of that is fair enough but can be balanced by some positives;
  • Our 3 young forwards (aged 20-22) kicked 104.58 between them. The oldest, Naughton, is still developing as a forward. Potential is massive.
  • Darcy's 3 games have shown he is way closer to being an AFL weapon than we could've reasonably expected,
  • Our big hope in the Ruck, English, made solid inroads to give us more faith he can be a genuine top flight ruckman,
  • Jamarras 5 goals against the Premiers confirmed the glimpses that he can be a star with a bit more development,
  • Whilst tall defenders remains a big worry, Gardner made further growth and may make it with more support. Khamis also progressed.
  • Young players Richards and West also took significant strides forward.

That combined is a serious group of young talent with good growth on it.

Also, after a pathetic 3-5 start, we at least showed some character. 9-5 over the last 14 games showed a willingness to fight.

There are a lot of issues, but years like 2001 and 2011 were truly depressing because it was clear that eras of great potential had passed us by.

This ain't that kind of year,. The future is bright.

Just finished reading Tom Boyd’s book Nowhere to Hide. I feel that Tom’s football journey may not be unique to Tom. All footy fans should read it; it might change some attitudes and behaviours. I’ve said before that people need to remember these are young boys. Some are more resilient than others, Tom wasn’t. Hopefully Jamarra is.

Just finished reading Tom Boyd’s book Nowhere to Hide. I feel that Tom’s football journey may not be unique to Tom. All footy fans should read it; it might change some attitudes and behaviours. I’ve said before that people need to remember these are young boys. Some are more resilient than others, Tom wasn’t. Hopefully Jamarra is.

Should be taken on board for all people - not just footballers or those in the spotlight in other fields. And not just for young people either. Lots of people have these struggles, it's just that no one would read their life story and it will never be published.

Should be taken on board for all people - not just footballers or those in the spotlight in other fields. And not just for young people either. Lots of people have these struggles, it's just that no one would read their life story and it will never be published.
True - but being in the public eye brings extra pressures that “ordinary” people don’t face. Nevertheless social media has a lot to answer for and that applies to everyone.

Still, Tom’s book can be read by anyone and realise that even people leading what looks like a privileged life can suffer as much as anyone else.

True - but being in the public eye brings extra pressures that “ordinary” people don’t face. Nevertheless social media has a lot to answer for and that applies to everyone.

Still, Tom’s book can be read by anyone and realise that even people leading what looks like a privileged life can suffer as much as anyone else.

It also allows a cathartic outlet with supportive people telling you how great you are - Joe Bloggs don't get that.

Potential good omen. Look what I just found for sale (and bought) online in Japan!
D5965F19-964D-4616-BB11-70D38E0D727D.jpeg
7C228E12-B8F2-4BAD-9ACC-1CCF60ECC180.jpeg

38 bucks well spent!!

Anyone know the story on this ball? Were they for sale grand final week or something?

Edit:
So I emailed Sherrin and they replied with the Sherrin I found was a ball that was specially produced in their Melbourne factory for the AFL sponsor partnership organisations, such as in this case Toyota.
Pretty cool to have then and it explains how maybe it made its way to Japan.

Last edited:
Potential good omen. Look what I just found for sale (and bought) online in Japan!
View attachment 1498434
View attachment 1498433

38 bucks well spent!!

Anyone know the story on this ball? Were they for sale grand final week or something?

It's a sign!
iu

View attachment 1498434
View attachment 1498433

38 bucks well spent!!

$38.00 ? That has to be for the picture of the footy. On ebay, Sherrin ordinaire are $50.00 and if kangaroo skin $150.00. What's the link to the vendor, very quick and don't tell anyone.

$38.00 ? That has to be for the picture of the footy. On ebay, Sherrin ordinaire are $50.00 and if kangaroo skin $150.00. What's the link to the vendor, very quick and don't tell anyone.
Only had the one for sale on the Japanese equivalent of gumtree.

Does anyone know if the GF ball had the big Toyota printed on it? Figure one of these grand final balls might have been sent over here to the Toyota sponsors. Which would explain how it made its way over to Japan.

Only had the one for sale on the Japanese equivalent of gumtree.

Does anyone know if the GF ball had the big Toyota printed on it? Figure one of these grand final balls might have been sent over here to the Toyota sponsors. Which would explain how it made its way over to Japan.
The GF ball had the logo on it, but it also had the teams names printed on the ball. Sorry to put a dampner on it, but that is not the official match ball

The GF ball had the logo on it, but it also had the teams names printed on the ball. Sorry to put a dampner on it, but that is not the official match ball
No problem my man. Never assumed it was the official match ball. Would figure that one would be a lot more dirty lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of that is fair enough but can be balanced by some positives;
  • Our 3 young forwards (aged 20-22) kicked 104.58 between them. The oldest, Naughton, is still developing as a forward. Potential is massive.
  • Darcy's 3 games have shown he is way closer to being an AFL weapon than we could've reasonably expected,
  • Our big hope in the Ruck, English, made solid inroads to give us more faith he can be a genuine top flight ruckman,
  • Jamarras 5 goals against the Premiers confirmed the glimpses that he can be a star with a bit more development,
  • Whilst tall defenders remains a big worry, Gardner made further growth and may make it with more support. Khamis also progressed.

That combined is a serious group of young talent with good growth on it.

Also, after a pathetic 3-5 start, we at least showed some character. 9-5 over the last 14 games showed a willingness to fight.

There are a lot of issues, but years like 2001 and 2011 were truly depressing because it was clear that eras of great potential had passed us by.

This ain't that kind of year,. The future is bright.
1 goal between the 3

1 goal early but invisible for the rest of the match. 8 disposals

20 hitouts but conceded 43. Little impact around the ground

Scoreless, back to 6 disposals.

Comment unchallenged

Richards 13 disposals but a number of uncharacteristic turnovers and reduced run and carry. West not selected

A week or so ago, I gave your post a like because of its positivism despite evident deterioration in productivity of the forwards. Post Elimination Final, I'm now far less confident of our young forwards' abilities, less convinced that English will develop much further and less optimistic of the capacities of the younger brigade excepting Richards who had a bad day. Did the Elimination final performances effect your optimism ?

Last edited:
1 goal between the 3

1 goal early but invisible for the rest of the match. 8 disposals

20 hitouts but conceded 43. Little impact around the ground

Scoreless, back to 6 disposals.

Comment unchallenged

Richards 13 disposals but a number of uncharacteristic turnovers and reduced run and carry. West not selected

A week or so ago, I gave your post a like because of its positivism despite evident deterioration in productivity of the forwards. Post Elimination Final, I'm now far less confident of our young forwards' abilities, less convinced that English will develop much further and less optimistic of the capacities of the younger brigade excepting Richards who had a bad day. Did the Elimination final performances effect your optimism ?
I'm still very bullish about the quality of our young stock DM. What happened on the weekend wasn't about them, it was about leadership, onfield and in the box.

I'm still very bullish about the quality of our young stock DM. What happened on the weekend wasn't about them, it was about leadership, onfield and in the box.
Fair enough, BHS and thanks. The mystery is the complete failure of the forward line and in a crunch game, in particular Weightman and Naughton, astounding their non contribution. How/why did that happen ? Johannisen did his bit with 2 goals, the mids chipped in, Bont 2, Dunkley and McLean and whether it was Vandermeer, West or any of the Mcs, none are recognised multiple goal scorers. You can't reasonably expect to win when your 3 key forwards score 1 goal between them.

Fair enough, BHS and thanks. The mystery is the complete failure of the forward line and in a crunch game, in particular Weightman and Naughton, astounding their non contribution. How/why did that happen ? Johannisen did his bit with 2 goals, the mids chipped in, Bont 2, Dunkley and McLean and whether it was Vandermeer, West or any of the Mcs, none are recognised multiple goal scorers. You can't reasonably expect to win when your 3 key forwards score 1 goal between them.
Weightmans issue is what it's been for his whole career. Hes a small who thinks hes a tall. The sooner he gets that out of his game the better.

Weightmans issue is what it's been for his whole career. Hes a small who thinks hes a tall. The sooner he gets that out of his game the better.
Agree, he should be front and centre or sailing past the pack. He is credited with zero tackles, that's not his game. He and Naughton are the standout 2nd and 3rd effort merchants and chasers, frankly, the only 2, in the forward line. Gift suggests, in another thread, that he may have been injured.

Agree, he should be front and centre or sailing past the pack. He is credited with zero tackles, that's not his game. He and Naughton are the standout 2nd and 3rd effort merchants and chasers, frankly, the only 2, in the forward line. Gift suggests, in another thread, that he may have been injured.
If he was injured which would still be his elbow wouldn't he have tried to do less in the air

If he was injured which would still be his elbow wouldn't he have tried to do less in the air
It's been a long time since I last tried being a young, flashy, non-conformist and authority-defiant super-fit athlete like Weightman.

Last edited:
I’d have thought tackling or being under a pack would be a bigger risk. However if anything his rate of tackling has gone up since the injury.

Going for a mark would be less troubling … unless he happened to go for a screamer and came down on the same elbow.

I’d have thought tackling or being under a pack would be a bigger risk. However if anything his rate of tackling has gone up since the injury.

Going for a mark would be less troubling … unless he happened to go for a screamer and came down on the same elbow.
Tackling, chasing, harassment were the missing ingredients. Whatever his deficiencies and from whatever cause, on Saturday, he, at least, kicked a goal.

Last edited:
View attachment 1498434
View attachment 1498433

38 bucks well spent!!

So I emailed Sherrin and they replied with the Sherrin I found was a ball that was specially produced in their Melbourne factory for the AFL sponsor partnership organisations, such as in this case Toyota.
Pretty cool to have then and it explains how maybe it made its way to Japan.

The club (or their outsourced marketing dept) just rang me up asking me to buy a $100 ticket to enter a draw.

It’s a bit of a high figure in these days of rising interest rates and inflation?

I’d happily pay $10 or $20 for a meat tray raffle . $30 if Patrick Bowden cooks the meat on a BBQ .

The Bombers are currently sounding out head coaches as has been made very public, but the laughable thing is they’re making approaches to current club coaches with an open cheque book. I have it on good info that they approached both Hardwick and Bev with an offer that would make them one of the top paid coaches in the league (behind one A. Clarkson). They also tried to poach both Alan Richardson and Mark Williams. They’re now in conversations with Leon Cameron whom they initially approached as a ‘football director’ but have since had to adjust their offers. This info comes from the Cameron camp FYI.

When are they going to understand that money won’t fix the shit show that is the poisonous corporate culture at Essendon? It will be interesting to see who actually takes up that role now. Embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back