No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone is interested, these two charts show the number of players at each pick/pick range that went on to make the AA team at least once.

1662292002390.png
And looking at top 10 picks only:
1662292031785.png
Pick 6 has, for reasons that aren't entirely clear, been a very poor performer by this measure. Lucky Ashcroft will push us out to pick 7!

Hey Bris,
If we put AA etc aside and just look at good solid, starting 18 players, what is the average games played by draft range?
Say 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 etc?

I feel like the average games played for a player drafted in the top 10 is like 150 and then it drops off.
Would that be right?

Longevity is a performance measure.
So few play 300 games, you have to be very good to play so long.
Playing 250 is also recognised as a very good career.

I guess I am wondering if there are any indicators of longevity recruiters consider.

Hey Bris,
If we put AA etc aside and just look at good solid, starting 18 players, what is the average games played by draft range?
Say 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 etc?

I feel like the average games played for a player drafted in the top 10 is like 150 and then it drops off.
Would that be right?

Longevity is a performance measure.
So few play 300 games, you have to be very good to play so long.
Playing 250 is also recognised as a very good career.

I guess I am wondering if there are any indicators of longevity recruiters consider.
Check out draft guru for that one as they have already done it. But basically, players that typically get picked earlier in the draft are typically ready to play earlier. Also, top 5-10 picks land at worse clubs in need of new talent, as opposed to landing at a successful club and find it tough to get a game. All else being equal, they are going to play more games, earlier than players chosen later on the draft. It’s hard to seperate out those factors from talent.
But broadly speaking, the odds of landing a 100 gamer decrease in line with the other curves for AA etc. the draft is remarkably inefficient at producing players that make 100, 150 and 200 game milestones.

In case anyone is interested, these two charts show the number of players at each pick/pick range that went on to make the AA team at least once.

View attachment 1499593
And looking at top 10 picks only:
View attachment 1499594
Pick 6 has, for reasons that aren't entirely clear, been a very poor performer by this measure. Lucky Ashcroft will push us out to pick 7!
Exceptional work.

Pick #6 for us has, traditionally, not been good at all.

We've taken 3 KPPs with that pick and 2 were complete busts. DGB is the other.

Not sure if the bad luck with #6 occurs to the club who held pick #6 when the draft starts or if it only relates to the actual player taken with #6.

🤷‍♂️

Exceptional work.

Pick #6 for us has, traditionally, not been good at all.

We've taken 3 KPPs with that pick and 2 were complete busts. DGB is the other.

Not sure if the bad luck with #6 occurs to the club who held pick #6 when the draft starts or if it only relates to the actual player taken with #6.

🤷‍♂️
It's not just us, Pick 6 is an inexplicably extreme outlier. Pick 6 averages close to half the games as pick 5 or 7.

Bucking the trend: The most recent players taken at pick No.6

2000: Dylan Smith (North Melbourne) – 21 games
2001: Ashley Sampi (West Coast) – 78 games
2002: Steven Salopek (Port Adelaide) – 121 games
2003: Kepler Bradley (Essendon) – 117 games
2004: Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs) – 85 games
2005: Beau Dowler (Hawthorn) – 16 games
2006: Mitch Thorp (Hawthorn) – 2 games
2007: David Myers (Essendon) – 116 games
2008: Chris Yarran (Carlton) – 119 games
2009: Gary Rohan (Sydney) – 106 games
2010: Reece Conca (Richmond) – 104 games
2011: Chad Wingard (Port Adelaide) – 147 games
2012: Jack Macrae (Western Bulldogs) – 118 games
2013: Matthew Scharenberg (Collingwood) – 31 games
2014: Caleb Marchbank (GWS) – 35 games
2015: Aaron Francis (Essendon) – 10 games
2016: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Carlton) – 42 games
2017: Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood) – 26 games

2018 - Ben King
2019 - Fischer Mcasey
2020 - Denver Grainger-Barras
2021 - Josh Rachele

Not the best results but it's kinda a bit of a mix bag which is skewed by Dowler and Thorpe - Note the source of the players taken until 2017 are from an article posted on Nov 22, 2018. --- Six and out: The history of footy's 'cursed' draft pick

Bucking the trend: The most recent players taken at pick No.6

2000: Dylan Smith (North Melbourne) – 21 games
2001: Ashley Sampi (West Coast) – 78 games
2002: Steven Salopek (Port Adelaide) – 121 games
2003: Kepler Bradley (Essendon) – 117 games
2004: Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs) – 85 games
2005: Beau Dowler (Hawthorn) – 16 games
2006: Mitch Thorp (Hawthorn) – 2 games
2007: David Myers (Essendon) – 116 games
2008: Chris Yarran (Carlton) – 119 games
2009: Gary Rohan (Sydney) – 106 games
2010: Reece Conca (Richmond) – 104 games
2011: Chad Wingard (Port Adelaide) – 147 games
2012: Jack Macrae (Western Bulldogs) – 118 games
2013: Matthew Scharenberg (Collingwood) – 31 games
2014: Caleb Marchbank (GWS) – 35 games
2015: Aaron Francis (Essendon) – 10 games
2016: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Carlton) – 42 games
2017: Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood) – 26 games

2018 - Ben King
2019 - Fischer Mcasey
2020 - Denver Grainger-Barras
2021 - Josh Rachele

Not the best results but it's kinda a bit of a mix bag which is skewed by Dowler and Thorpe - Note the source of the players taken until 2017 are from an article posted on Nov 22, 2018. --- Six and out: The history of footy's 'cursed' draft pick
McAsey certainly isn't going to break the trend.

Question - is it possible umpires are fed directions into their earpieces?
Noticed at the aflw yesterday, there was a play where it was clearly a ball up, yet the umpire waited a good minute to blow the whistle, and was holding her hand up to her ear the entire time

Noticed at the aflw yesterday, there was a play where it was clearly a ball up, yet the umpire waited a good minute to blow the whistle, and was holding her hand up to her ear the entire time

Might be trialling boundary umpires feeding them info. Has happened in the NRL for a while. I remember once Bill Harrigan trying to talk to a player and the touchy kept rabbiting on at him and he just yelled into it 'STOP TALKING!'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been happening a while IMO. The amount of late calls aren't an accident.

Refreshing listening to Rioli as to why he went across to SA to listen to what Port can offer

Ad-lib

“It’s an industry, I’m no different to anyone else, if someone else can offer me more money then I need to look at it, not just for me, but my family for the future. Me leaving would have nothing to do with not liking the club”

Tom Mitchell leaving will be on our terms. He’s contracted & we’re happy for him to continue another year unless a suitable trade eventuates.
50/50 at the moment - let’s see what the finals spits out
Breust is staying.
Wingard wants to stay.
Gunston - reckon he’s leaning towards staying
Bruhn is close to nominating us
2 more delistings pending
Got to be Hartigan.

A 2nd gets very interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad