No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how you can come to that conclusion so early into their careers. Have you watched all 7 of Sonsie's games?
I have, has been good. He's been trusted with major midfield minutes by Richmond though, where we've kinda planted MacDonald forward in a more feast or famine sort of role. Definitely can't compare output based on this year but it'll be interesting to watch moving forward. I always hoped we'd pick up Sonsie.

As BH said, wrong comparison. CMac was absolutely the right choice, he is all class. Butler will be the one we compare, will be interesting to watch the two next season. Was expecting us to take Sonsie.

Disagree - I'm mentioning these two because both MacDonald and Sonsie will end up being similar players at AFL level. Both are classy midfielders that can play forward.

Butler is a forward that may end up spending time in the midfield.

I understand what BH is saying though. But as I said above both Butler and Sonsie were universally rated as top 20 talents, whereas MacDonald was in that next bracket.

And again I'll have to put in a disclaimer for everyone - none of what I posted is in any way suggesting that MacDonald is no good, or that I don't rare him. He looks like a gun to me. And so does Sonsie, which is why I think it will be interesting to compare them both as they develop.

Butler was considered a top 20 talent by all draft watchers, Sonsie was as well. However MacDonald wasn't, he was in that 25-40 range.

Based on the pre draft ratings Butler and Sonsie both slipped, whilst MacDonald may have been considered to have gone early. Though in reality if we didn't take him Carlton would have with the next pick.

I agree with what you're saying though, I was expecting Sonsie at #23 and then again at #26.

And before people get all defensive and jump on my post - I think all three will be quality players. I'm only comparing those two because they both look like they are similar players at AFL level; classy mid/forwards.
Yeah appreciate there was a lot of phantoms had it that way but to me, MacDonald was elite or above average at everything and struck me as a very good chance to go in the first round. Early days and I don’t have a fundamental issue with our recruitment but it wasn’t clear to me exactly what butler will be at afl level so saw him more as a second round risk, which is where we took him.

As someone who wanted us to select Sonsie over MacDonald and Butler and thought Sonsie was a top 10 talent, I've been more impressed by MacDonald than Sonsie. MacDonald's kicking seems better, and he's more composed under pressure. As of now, I think we've made the right choice.
A bloke I work with who is very closely linked to the Eastern Ranges set up advised that Sonsie was always considered a little on the soft side. This probably explains why he dropped in the order

Last edited:
What a game of footy to kick off the finals last night, both teams playing an attacking brand having a real crack, lovely to see.

Richmond probably should have won, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Well done Lions.

Wow. Only just saw the scoreline.

Both sides scored over 100, the largest lead was 16 pts (and not for long.)

That's very unusual these days.

Oh yeah wasn't saying you were, I just like complaining about how bad the highlights are in the AFL. We as supporters seem to be able to identify really exciting plays but they never seem to be picked up in any of those videos.

I know how testing numbers don't necessarily translate well to the AFL but he had good results in the 3 tests you really want good performance in from that standpoint, top 10 in standing, running vertical jump and the sprint. It'll become more obvious with development.

On the flip side, Ward and McDonald tested really well in the time trial which held them in better stead for a Year 1 impact.
Related observation. While the evolution of the modern game now requires players have a certain level of athletic ability, this focus is way overstated.

What of their ability/skill to use the ball proficiently on either side by foot and hand, their instinctive awareness to read the play, their decision making skills related to efficient ball use or when to assist team mates with a shepered/block, their judgement to contest for a mark/spoil or stay away or leave an opponent to involve themselves in contests up the field, etc. - you know, just some of the desirable traits that 'footballers' at this level should possess, which usually results in them playing over 200 games vs barely 20...

Related, it's no coincidence that half of all clubs B&F winners in recent times have been players originally from historical draft rounds 3-4-5, because their actual draft order was predominately determined by their 'athletic ability' or lack thereof...

My point is - there are many 'natural footballers' out there, some don't even make the draft mainly because the focus now is primarily on athletic ability and I think that's just sad, as well as being a contributing factor with the regular poor standard of games...

Last edited:
A ripping game of football to kick off the finals last night

Plenty of scoring, lots of drama, some good fair physicality. It almost had it all!

But for heavens sake... the AFL must be the only professional sporting competition in the world to employ such a sad excuse for a decision review system. The angles they get to try and judge a score are either completely useless in the context or so grainy and pixelated, it looks like footage from 60 years ago
Yet another embarrassment for the sport

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a game of footy to kick off the finals last night, both teams playing an attacking brand having a real crack, lovely to see.

Richmond probably should have won, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Well done Lions.

You could tell from the start the game was going to turn out to be eminently watchable. An oldie like me wants to see goals, and I really don't think I'm asking too much for 16 goals in a game, all you need is the right priorities. More games like last night would be very good to see. I agree with you that even though the scores were close all night, I was expecting to see Richmond win.

Clarko is chasing Bruhn, Long, JNR Rioli, and Hill - Wants a fast rebuild no doubt

Good luck with that - because the 'but we've got Clarko!' card helped us lure so many big targets after 2016.

Norf is now the Clarko Football Club. Good luck with that - it didn't work out well for us.
"So join in the chorus, and sing it one and all,
Join in the chorus, Clarko's on the ball,
Good old Clarko, he's a champion you'll agree,
Clarko runs the team that plays to win for you and me!"

Last edited:
"So join in the chorus, and sing it one and all,
Join in the chorus, Clarko's on the ball,
Good old Clarko, he's a champion you'll agree,
Clarko runs the team that plays to win for you and me!"
I hope to see him playing this on the Guitar. Be one of the great sights

A bloke I work with who is very closely linked to the Eastern Ranges set up advised that Sonsie was always considered a little on the soft side. This probably explains why he dropped in the order
I first saw him play when he was 15ish, and he certainly doesn't have the greatest work rate. MacDonald isn't the hardest worker, but he does seem to love a tackle and the nitty-gritty parts of the game more than Sonsie.

Watching the Bulldogs/Freo game with a couple of brits that don't know the sport.

Anyone got any ideas for fun bet/wagers to have during the game to keep them interested? (e.g first goal, final margin etc.)
Ah, I've had this a few times over the journey with foreigners, suggest:

1. You nominate 3 key forwards names and numbers from both teams (6 players), they choose 1 player from each team to kick their teams first goal, you pick last.
2. Which team reaches a total of 30 points first, let them choose first in a 'team wager' vs you (or they just bet against each other)
3. Half time margin, keep it simple with 3 choices 1 goal or under - over 3 goals, over 5 goals, again you pick last
4. Winning team total score, start high with 3 choices - over 80 pts, over 100 pts over 120pts, again you pick last

All above will at least generate related conversation about the match to get and keep them interested...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back