Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The only reason I would hope he has a decent year in the AFL side is so he can be traded for something of value. With laird and Keays providing experience and Sloane coming back, there's no way we should be bringing him back into a permanent midfield position.
Crouch at his best is a far better player than Keays. When playing at his Best his Assisted Metre gained stat was rated with Neale and Fyfe, for those that don't understand what Assisted Metre Gained, it is the stat that highlights which players are giving their teammates the opportunity to be effective.
Crouch's last couple of years have been Injuries plagued, At this time it would be the first uninterrupted Preseason for him since 2019.
So I would wait and see how he pans out this year before righting him off.

In terms of mid balance it’s either him or Laird

And Laird is miles in front on last years form

Laird is also very zippy throughout 360 degrees over a few paces, Crouch is pedestrian always. Can't knock him for getting as right as he can be though. He was always going to be a bit off it after 12 months off with quad/groin issues. That's where your power comes from, his brother wasn't his fully powerful self his first year after groins/quads either, I'd be surprised if any footy player is.

In terms of it not being either, I'm not sure we're yet that advanced that we look at the mix. Matt will always rack up 30 and I exoect that if he returns to being sharper with his forward movement and release, he'll play 80% midfield along with both Laird and Keays. I've not seen anything yet that suggests our coaching group doesn't believe strongly that a 4 man midfield is the optimum strategy. Who they are is the only question up for current debate.

Imo laird disposal is a bit better than Crouch's, but laird is better defensively. They can both rack it up. Hence Laird > Crouch.

Crouch's disposal is better than Keays, but Keays brings a very strong defensive game as well and is quicker out of a stoppage (he has more power). They're probably on par, but I still prefer Keays due to his sheer work rate and effort.

He's just not needed and given we're trying to pump games into young mids, it would be dumb to play all three.

i think Matt's is better than Lairds. Where he fell backwards was that he lost the confidence to push in any direction to progress the ball away from the contest area. And because he's actually geared to hold untill he's found an option, he looked incredibly slow. Our mids seem to be trained to avoid body contact when in possession of the football. Almost like it's touch footy and we're not allowed to bring the opponent to us, wear the contact, remove them from the equation and give to a player in a better position.

Laird is also very zippy throughout 360 degrees over a few paces, Crouch is pedestrian always. Can't knock him for getting as right as he can be though. He was always going to be a bit off it after 12 months off with quad/groin issues. That's where your power comes from, his brother wasn't his fully powerful self his first year after groins/quads either, I'd be surprised if any footy player is.

In terms of it not being either, I'm not sure we're yet that advanced that we look at the mix. Matt will always rack up 30 and I exoect that if he returns to being sharper with his forward movement and release, he'll play 80% midfield along with both Laird and Keays. I've not seen anything yet that suggests our coaching group doesn't believe strongly that a 4 man midfield is the optimum strategy. Who they are is the only question up for current debate.
Round 1 team is fascinating let alone round 1 roles for different guys like Rankine and Dawson

Hope we get thru the pre season games without too many injuries

And hope Worrell gets himself right and plays at least one of the games

If Michalanney is already in that discussion...wow. He might be a very special player in the making

looked awesome in the footage that I saw. He's a guy that gets the ball and has a natural bent to run hard forward. And he can defend too. He's exactly what is required.

I would love to see Laird move back to Half Back this year.

Ideally we should be giving 6 players midfielders signifcant time at the coal face.

Old guy (one of Keays/Crouch/Laird) alongside Berry, Schoenberg, Soligo as the main players with Rankine & Rachelle to spend a chunk of time running through there.

i don't think we can rotate our mids off half back yet. We don't spend enough time in forward half for that to not nearly be a midfield role.

i don't think we can rotate our mids off half back yet. We don't spend enough time in forward half for that to not nearly be a midfield role.
Mchenry and keays f up as much as one another. Both shouldn't be in the side. Unfortunately nicks cares about who can run more than anything else.

Last edited:
Round 1 team is fascinating let alone round 1 roles for different guys like Rankine and Dawson

Hope we get thru the pre season games without too many injuries

And hope Worrell gets himself right and plays at least one of the games

Worrell won't. Not unless a KPD, Doedee or Dawson is injured. Worrell was played as a last resort to give Dood a week off, him going too good to be dropped doesn't change how they picture the best 22. And after a sand shoe season, they know that the apricot brigade has forgotten.

The last match sim they said the ball hardly went into the Gollant etc forward line

got the mix wrong? Playing the 2 pure 1st rucks against the 2 pure 2nd rucks tells me that they've moved away from the old format. The extent is arguable, but my best guess is that they've tried to even it up and get a contest, but got it wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1597528

"Thanks for keeping the seat warm for me"
I really hope that sloane is stationed forward from now on..he can take a good mark, offer forward 50 pressure and knows where the goals are and that would allow both rachele and rankine to spend much more time in the midfield which can only be good for us going forward

Crouch at his best is a far better player than Keays. When playing at his Best his Assisted Metre gained stat was rated with Neale and Fyfe, for those that don't understand what Assisted Metre Gained, it is the stat that highlights which players are giving their teammates the opportunity to be effective.
Crouch's last couple of years have been Injuries plagued, At this time it would be the first uninterrupted Preseason for him since 2019.
So I would wait and see how he pans out this year before righting him off

Happy for him to get another run IF the club truly believed he could reach those 2017 levels and that he can be far more damaging with the pill in 2023.

What would be a disaster would be to do what we did in the second half of 2022. We played him the first 7 rounds, which is fine. But we had seen enough that he was fit enough to average 25+ touches a game at AFL. He did a few nice things, but just didn't impact games. That should have been it for 2022.

Instead we were seduced by a couple of 40+ possession games and brought him back for 3 games for the same result. Dropped him again and then brought him back one more time for one game in Rd 17. Made zero sense.

Happy for him to get another run IF the club truly believed he could reach those 2017 levels and that he can be far more damaging with the pill in 2023.

What would be a disaster would be to do what we did in the second half of 2022. We played him the first 7 rounds, which is fine. But we had seen enough that he was fit enough to average 25+ touches a game at AFL. He did a few nice things, but just didn't impact games. That should have been it for 2022.

Instead we were seduced by a couple of 40+ possession games and brought him back for 3 games for the same result. Dropped him again and then brought him back one more time for one game in Rd 17. Made zero sense.
you can't play crouch and sloane in same match its one or the other

And she twisted the answer anyway, I said our midfield mix will suck. He could play well but our collective doesn’t, so our midfield could still suck.

Jenny is amusing, she supports all the players, that means she can’t nominate a player to miss

Chris Judd and Gary Ablett Jr played pretty well in diabolical midfields too, one midfielder playing WELL does not = good midfield.

So, that’s code for “I can’t bring to leave any of my lovely boys out” so I will deflect
JFC. I called for his dropping, non selection and trading the last two years. IF he has overcome his injuries and can contribute to the highest level, I’m not going to knock it back. But if he’s serving up the same tripe as when he was injured, I’m not interested. Like I said, it’s not rocket science. From all accounts he looks in cracking shape. I hope he can match that on field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back