Training 2023 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

True. Can't argue with that.

Got to round 1 last year with 6-7 on the injury list. 12 by mid season. By round 23 there were only 4 players in reserve. Even durable players like Kennedy and Hewett had succumbed.

Geelong took a cautious approach to preseason and lost a couple of games early but carefully managed their list (resting regulars frequently) knowing its a long season.

By the GF they had 2 injuries total.

Our geniuses looked at that and thought - you know what our problem is? We need a more intense preseason with more players flogged to death by round 1.

Now we are 2 weeks from round 1 with what - 14 unable to play? I haven't even counted. It's probably more.

Madness.

It was rumoured, that when Voss arrived, he wasn't satisfied with the level of fitness, and players not being body hardened for the rigours of a full season (not an AR decision, moreso the the footy department as a whole)

While the club was mindful that increased loading could negatively effect players short term, they believe the benefits would be seen over a longer period

So, we can lament about a better approach, but I doubt any club has a copy of the "successful AFL strategy" blueprint

Perhaps wait for round 1 and beyond, before calling the strategy madness, especially when we increased our wins by 50% from the year prior

Keep hearing how they increased the intensity of training this preseason. From coaches including Voss and players including Harry, SOS and Williams. The session where Zac did his knee was mentioned by Jack as the toughest session he's ever had.

No surprise half the team are already carrying injuries.

We'll be lucky to field a team of fit players by mid-season.

Absolute fricking brain dead madness.
I agree, they should have had the players doing laps on one of these.
Save their legs for the games.

Attachments

• 51E814DB-03EC-4483-A36B-F5E17E7BE8B5.gif
    51E814DB-03EC-4483-A36B-F5E17E7BE8B5.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 65
Only 2 foot stress fractures. Boyd's was a re-injury of an acute fracture.
Philp's body hasn't been right for 18 months, which leaves Cottrell, 1.

WTF... Cotterel, Boyd and Philp.
That equals 3 no? You want to split hairs over the type of foot fracture and argue my point for me that Philp is exactly the type of player whose body cant stand up to an over the top preseason - yet they gave it to him anyway?

Happy to be wrong on this but the numbers don't lie. Heads should roll as a result of this preseason program. We got it fundamentally wrong.

That equals 3 no? You want to split hairs over the type of foot fracture and argue my point for me that Philp is exactly the type of player whose body cant stand up to an over the top preseason - yet they gave it to him anyway?

Happy to be wrong on this but the numbers don't lie. Heads should roll as a result of this preseason program. We got it fundamentally wrong.

What makes you think Carlton's training is "over the top" ?

You reckon for us to be successful we need Philp uninjured, but also not fit enough to play a season of AFL?

Just the vibe...... oh and the direct quotes from the coach himself and the players. And that 25% of the list is unavailable.

And mabo.
Voss hasn't said that the training loads were "over the top" - - so what direct quote are you referring to?

As for players I am glad to hear from Jack Silvagni that this pre-season was harder than the previous - it needed to be and the players need to make up for the fact that they were big time underperformers last year as a group.

I look forward to the day when Carlton teams can pay back the 20 years of uncompetitive crapola I have witnessed since becoming a member - and a big part of that is being fit enough strong enough and "mongrelised" up enough to actually to be truly competitive.

Part of making it as an elite athlete is to be an elite athlete and that is earned probably more in training and preparation than on the paddock.

Heads should roll even if we make finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heads should roll even if we make finals?
If we don’t make finals - all heads should roll

Make finals and….

lose our first game - most heads should roll

Lose our second game - some heads should roll

Lose our third game - 1-2 heads should roll

Win the grand final - all heads should ROCK AND ROLL !!!!

As for players I am glad to hear from Jack Silvagni that this pre-season was harder than the previous - it needed to be and the players need to make up for the fact that they were big time underperformers last year as a group.
I agree with what you're saying but I can't remember a player ever coming out and saying this preseason was easier than last year...

What makes you think Carlton's training is "over the top" ?
At the Hall of Fame dinner, Adrian Gleeson in his acceptance speech he spoke about how hard they trained during the 1987 season.

Said some of the sessions were harder than games. Said it made game day much easier.

Led to a premiership. Might be something in it.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And.... tell me more!!

Not really much to tell.

“‘Gov’ trained today in an intra-club back home, so he’s on the right trajectory and being involved in match play. He’ll certainly be putting his hand up,” he said.

Hansen said there were no concerns surrounding the availability of Patrick Cripps and Harry McKay, who were managed for the trip to Blacktown, while players such as Mitch McGovern continued to fine-tune their preparations for the year to come.

“They’re all on individual programs with an eye on Round 1. It was purely a management decision.
“Those guys have done so much of pre-season that we didn’t feel having another game was going to make them any better prepared.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back