2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless we finish bottom I don’t think we’re a realistic chance of nabbing Harley Reid unless we offered up something ridiculous which I don’t believe we are in a position to do. And I couldn’t imagine a player so in demand sticking around here anyway.
We have to persist with growing our local contingent and pray we end up with a few stars.

Gimme a draft haul of Watson, Walter, Rogers, Read pleaseeee. Watson would have instant impact in our forward line.

Unless we finish bottom I don’t think we’re a realistic chance of nabbing Harley Reid unless we offered up something ridiculous which I don’t believe we are in a position to do. And I couldn’t imagine a player so in demand sticking around here anyway.
We have to persist with growing our local contingent and pray we end up with a few stars.
I'd definitely be shopping around our first round pick this year and see who'd bite.

Adding in another 18yo won't help much but being able to potentially trade our first and maybe Sharp/Flanders will help us get a star.

I'd definitely be shopping around our first round pick this year and see who'd bite.

Adding in another 18yo won't help much but being able to potentially trade our first and maybe Sharp/Flanders will help us get a star.

1. No star is coming here without proof of concept of success
2. Harley Reid is a game changer...think Luke Hodge

First you have convince a star to join us. Can you?

All depends on where our first lands, if it's clear that it will be before a walter bid no doubt we want to keep it, if not we will move it. Only if we could convince kozzi pickett to come up I would be trading a pick before Walter.

1. No star is coming here without proof of concept of success
2. Harley Reid is a game changer...think Luke Hodge
1. fair point, that's why I put "bite". See if a bottom end team who's in the beginning of a rebuild would want to trade.
2. Harley may be great, but he's unproven.

Gimme a draft haul of Watson, Walter, Rogers, Read pleaseeee. Watson would have instant impact in our forward line.
Watson looks to potentially be a good replacement for Izak. We so need a dangerous small forward.
Also desperately need to add some class and depth to our midfield. Touk, Rowell and Anderson isn’t enough.

Watson looks to potentially be a good replacement for Izak. We so need a dangerous small forward.
Also desperately need to add some class and depth to our midfield. Touk, Rowell and Anderson isn’t enough.
Will Dewy let them in the midfield rotation tho?

All depends on where our first lands, if it's clear that it will be before a walter bid no doubt we want to keep it, if not we will move it. Only if we could convince kozzi pickett to come up I would be trading a pick before Walter.
I’m just guessing as it’s still early season but probably pick 3 or 4? Hawthorn are clearly tanking (and shit), West Coast are shit, North are better but still shit. Everyone else has improved more than us. Unless we start to turn things around soon, would pick 3 or 4 come before a bid on Jed?

Will Dewy let them in the midfield rotation tho?
Probably not. He’s not the kind of coach that screams innovation and flexibility to me. He should be persisting getting midfield minutes into Humphrey, Davies, Hollands etc. ( yes I know the latter two have been underwhelming but they all need games), rather than running our best mids into the ground by overworking them. We will never make the eight with just 3 AFL calibre midfielders.

Probably not. He’s not the kind of coach that screams innovation and flexibility to me. He should be persisting getting midfield minutes into Humphrey, Davies, Hollands etc. ( yes I know the latter two have been underwhelming but they all need games), rather than running our best mids into the ground by overworking them. We will never make the eight with just 3 AFL calibre midfielders.

It's baffling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree we have to stop chasing the supposed unicorn, we have had Plenty of shots at it, remember these

4x top 10 picks in the draft that netted us, Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodie and Bowes. Nothing short of a disaster 5 years down the track

Rowell was to be our unicorn, in fairness he has had injuries but in my opinion Dew doesn’t use him correctly and he is getting beaten up week in and out

Affectingly trading Weller for Andrew Brayshaw

Honourable mentions to Rankine and Luko, Ranks has blossomed away from the Suns as has Brodie, 2MP. Ben King poor dude is bereft of confidence, Sam Day has never lived up to his potential but is still on an AFL 13 years later

The swag of players that have left to become premiership players, Lynch, Caddy, Prestia, May

Point is, we need to find the majority of players locally if we are ever going to be successful and stop the “but if only dreams” that so far we have turned into nightmares

Agree we have to stop chasing the supposed unicorn, we have had Plenty of shots at it, remember these

4x top 10 picks in the draft that netted us, Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodie and Bowes. Nothing short of a disaster 5 years down the track

Rowell was to be our unicorn, in fairness he has had injuries but in my opinion Dew doesn’t use him correctly and he is getting beaten up week in and out

Honourable mentions to Rankine and Luko, Ranks has blossomed away from the Suns as has Brodie, 2MP. Ben King poor dude is bereft of confidence, Sam Day has never lived up to his potential but is still on an AFL 13 years later

The swag of players that have left to become premiership players, Lynch, Caddy, Prestia, May

Point is, we need to find the majority of players locally if we are ever going to be successful and stop the “but if only dreams” that so far we have turned into nightmares
Yep. Need to find a coaching group too who can get this list playing as a tight-knit team rather than a group of individuals, then try to win consistently. Only way we’ll get our best interstate talent to stay long term.

He should be persisting getting midfield minutes into Humphrey, Davies, Hollands etc. ( yes I know the latter two have been underwhelming but they all need games)
This.
They're not going to get much better running around in the VFL. Too good for that level and can't get better in the ones not getting an opportunity and with the pressure on all the time.
Not many players can move into the middle and dominate consistently at AFL level. Most take a few seasons for the flick of the switch.
What we don't need is a continual stream of first round players who initially struggle, become disillusioned and start looking elsewhere (Sharp)
We also don't need list cloggers that get massive contracts (Atkins and Long) and fill up the VFL.

I'm all for bringing in the local guys and we can see that is a focus at the moment for the club, but we still need to look at top end talent from other states. I like what the club has done in recent years and aimed for quality over quantity. Still think it will only be walter, Rogers and read at the end of the year but if things go pear shaped and we end up with a pick before walter there is some real quality that we can't pass up. Excited about what the 3 lads from the academy can offer though, other clubs will be envious of our haul.

Amazing what a club with a reasonable salary cap can achieve.
Wooden spoon in 2020
Sitting 1 win from top spot on the ladder in 2023

Picked up 2 of there best 5 players

And we pick up Atkins and Ben long and give Bowes and pick 7 away.

C3F5E771-C7DD-4670-B2E8-9C3A6D985EDA.jpeg

Last edited:
Amazing what a club with a reasonable salary cap can achieve.
Wooden spoon in 2020
Sitting 1 win from top spot on the ladder in 2023

Picked up 2 of there best 5 players

And we pick up Atkins and Ben long and give Bowes and pick 7 away.

View attachment 1664590
It's funny
I literally think of Adelaide and think of an excoriated haemorrhoid hanging out of mainland Australia's arseh*le
And yet we can only dream of attracting talent like Dawson and Rankine to one of the most beautiful places in the World let alone Australia to live and play
Maybe there's actually hope for Tasmania
1682040111416.jpeg

Last edited:
It's funny
I literally think of Adelaide and think of an excoriated haemorrhoid hanging out of mainland Australia's a-hole
And yet we can only dream of attracting talent like Dawson and Rankine to one of the most beautiful places in the World let alone Australia to live and play
Maybe there's actually hope for Tasmania

Hate the fact it makes no sense that in 14 odd years GC only attracted talent in its first year or even before.
Since then.
Not 1 top 10 player

Hate the fact it makes no sense that in 14 odd years GC only attracted talent in its first year or even before.
Since then.
Not 1 top 10 player
I really think it will be hard for us to go to the next level without the "Big Fish" we have been promised for the past few years
It's why I was despondent after pre-season
I didn't think we had enough natural improvement to go past the teams above us and unfortunately BigFooty knew what the club obviously doesn't
Atkins and Long are not the droids you are looking for

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back