2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys think Ben King will match up against Dougal Howard and St? Kildas's defensive structure?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How do you guys think Ben King will match up against Dougal Howard and St? Kildas's defensive structure?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Aslong as we give him the ball on the lead he'll have no problems.

Max Gawn is elite at sitting in the hole and grabbing a mark, I love Witta but for being the biggest bloke in the afl, he's not the most reliable mark
I think he’s a reasonably reliable mark. We often use him as an option down the wing a lot.

Just an awful kick most of the time.

I seriously think that even a young superstar like Harley Reid won’t be able to help lift this club out of the mire. We just lack a winning mentality and culture, and I don’t think we operate at the intensity an AFL club should.
It’s sad but true.

You just need to watch other games during the weekend and see how other teams go about it…

Then there’s us…

U12s versus the men

Don’t forget we got told we are one of if not the fittest club getting around. Run more then any other team during pre season. 🫣

It’s sad but true.

You just need to watch other games during the weekend and see how other teams go about it…

Then there’s us…

U12s versus the men

Don’t forget we got told we are one of if not the fittest club getting around. Run more then any other team during pre season. 🫣
Awesome, we can run. It’s so handy when you chase players all game. Maybe we could try, I don’t know playing football and teach how to hold onto the ball

Awesome, we can run. It’s so handy when you chase players all game. Maybe we could try, I don’t know playing football and teach how to hold onto the ball
Rowells the best at holding the ball.
I’m still perplexed how he gets caught 8 times a game holding the ball but doesn’t get given a free kick against.

It’s Lebron like with travelling

I’m still perplexed how he gets caught 8 times a game holding the ball but doesn’t get given a free kick against.

Cause he stands under the ruck like a sitting duck and tries to shake the tackle, if he does he gets the clearance, If he doesn't it gets balled up again

It is amazing how much he is kissed on the dick by umpires. Its only a matter of time before he is the focus of umpire reviews. And when he does, expect a solid 5-6!free kicks against him in a game.

If he is gathering the ball at ground level and getting up, taking a step to push through his opponent and gets tackled, that should be gone. Every single time.

It is amazing how much he is kissed on the dick by umpires. Its only a matter of time before he is the focus of umpire reviews. And when he does, expect a solid 5-6!free kicks against him in a game.

If he is gathering the ball at ground level and getting up, taking a step to push through his opponent and gets tackled, that should be gone. Every single time.
Have you seen the umpires, being kissed on the dick would be more than enough punishment

Will Day signs a 4 year extension

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Available players are wearing thin, happy to throw everything at pickett we need a finisher. Thought we would be a real shot at Gresham but he probably likes a look of the Saints prospects now.

We are officially last on the ladder of the teams who have played 4 games with a mediocre percentage of 71.2

And don’t forget this powerhouse of a club gave away pick 7 for free last year.

Could surely use a pick 7 about now 😬
Geez people get carried away on this board sometimes. We're literally one win behind 6th position and there's another 19 games to go in this season. A lot is going to change between now and September.

Pick 7 wouldn't be helping us right now. In fact, the last thing we need right now is another 18 year old running around in the seniors. We need experience and mature bodies to compliment our young stars. Bring in guys like Witts & Ellis and drop guys like Andrew & Jeffrey.

Geez people get carried away on this board sometimes. We're literally one win behind 6th position and there's another 19 games to go in this season. A lot is going to change between now and September.

Pick 7 wouldn't be helping us right now. In fact, the last thing we need right now is another 18 year old running around in the seniors. We need experience and mature bodies to compliment our young stars. Bring in guys like Witts & Ellis and drop guys like Andrew & Jeffrey.

Yeah your right… no one would choose Daicos or Ashcroft or Sheezle over Ben long or Rory Atkins.
My apologies.
Continue on as per usual GCFC

Another way to look at it is pick 7 in trade could have bought us a solid senior player that would have helped. It’s all ifs bits and maybes. The only thing we know at this stage of the year is we are still 💩 and that sits with the long term coach

Yeah your right… no one would choose Daicos or Ashcroft or Sheezle over Ben long or Rory Atkins.
My apologies.
Continue on as per usual GCFC
Were Daicos, Ashcroft or Sheezel available at pick 7? Were either of the first two even available at all or had they already committed to their father-son club? Be realistic if you're going to criticise the trading of pick 7. A better argument for you would have been to keep pick 7 and use it on Reuben Ginbey who has started his career well for the Eagles.

The point I'm trying to make is I think our age and experience levels hurt us against an in form St Kilda. Bring back Witts/Ellis and I think you'll see a better overall team performance against a team like Fremantle.

Another way to look at it is pick 7 in trade could have bought us a solid senior player that would have helped. It’s all ifs bits and maybes. The only thing we know at this stage of the year is we are still 💩 and that sits with the long term coach
Sure but do any solid senior players actually want to join us at the moment or are we only appealing to players of Ben Long's standard right now? Of course I'd like us to trade pick 7 for a star player like Darcy Moore but convincing said player is the hardest part. Trading pick 7 for a player becomes a far less appealing proposition when you consider who is willing to join your club. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with adding pick 7 to the Bowes trade but I also know pick 7 wasn't going to net us the kind of player we would want in a trade.

Pick 7 wasn't so valuable once we gained pick 5 for rankine, happy with 1 top pick per year. It's going to get tricky again if we have a pick in the 5-10 range, chances are we need to move it otherwise it gets chewed up by walter bid. Could we bundle it to get top 2 pick or my preference throw the $800 k some think we should have matched for rankine at kozi pickett for our 1st rounder.

We've beaten a Geelong team thats fallen apart, played 3 quarters of okay football against Essendon and been absolutely belted in the other 2 games.
We are not a finals team. We are crap.

We've beaten a Geelong team thats fallen apart, played 3 quarters of okay football against Essendon and been absolutely belted in the other 2 games.
We are not a finals team. We are crap.
Footy fans are very reactive so I get why you feel that way after the St Kilda game and I get why you (I think it was you) were pessimistic in the lead up to the Geelong game. Pessimism is a natural human reaction that is used as a coping mechanism to alleviate anxiety and soften the blow when things don't go the way you would like. Passionately following a footy club can be stressful and I understand we all cope with results in different ways so whether you actually believe we're "crap" or not, it's probably your way of dealing with recent results and that's fine. There's a famous saying within footy circles that I'm sure you've heard and it goes that 'it's never as good as it seems and it's never as bad as it seems' and I subscribe to that.

FWIW I don't think we're "crap" as you put it. I can see we have the talent to challenge for a finals position. The question is - why aren't we winning? Is it our injuries? Is it our draw? Is it our coach? Week by week we get more information about potential issues that are holding us back and I personally think we went in too young against the Saints and that really hurt our chances of realistically being competitive with arguably the form team of the competition over four quarters. Like I stated in the lead up to the Geelong game knowing Powell was about to return, I think we're going to see a much better team performance on Friday with Witts and Ellis likely to rejoin the team and some under performers going back to the VFL.

If we beat Freo then we'll be 2-3 with some winnable games to come immediately afterwards. Look at the way Collingwood built into the season last year after starting 2-3 to see what's possible.

Footy fans are very reactive so I get why you feel that way after the St Kilda game and I get why you (I think it was you) were pessimistic in the lead up to the Geelong game. Pessimism is a natural human reaction that is used as a coping mechanism to alleviate anxiety and soften the blow when things don't go the way you would like. Passionately following a footy club can be stressful and I understand we all cope with results in different ways so whether you actually believe we're "crap" or not, it's probably your way of dealing with recent results and that's fine. There's a famous saying within footy circles that I'm sure you've heard and it goes that 'it's never as good as it seems and it's never as bad as it seems' and I subscribe to that.

FWIW I don't think we're "crap" as you put it. I can see we have the talent to challenge for a finals position. The question is - why aren't we winning? Is it our injuries? Is it our draw? Is it our coach? Week by week we get more information about potential issues that are holding us back and I personally think we went in too young against the Saints and that really hurt our chances of realistically being competitive with arguably the form team of the competition over four quarters. Like I stated in the lead up to the Geelong game knowing Powell was about to return, I think we're going to see a much better team performance on Friday with Witts and Ellis likely to rejoin the team and some under performers going back to the VFL.

If we beat Freo then we'll be 2-3 with some winnable games to come immediately afterwards. Look at the way Collingwood built into the season last year after starting 2-3 to see what's possible.

The negative backlash frustrates me also but then I read other clubs boards and realise it's everywhere. The amount of criticism Clayton oliver cops when Melbourne lose is astounding. As disappointing as it is there's still a very talented team there that can easily turn things around. Whether they do or not who knows but I'd rather put my energy into supporting my team rather than constantly bagging it. Hopefully the players don't have the same defeated mentality.

Thanks Dr Phil, I thought I was basing my opinion on the dog poo performances I've seen this year, but it probably stems from unresolved issues I have with my father. Sure, st kildas injury list is 10x worse than ours, and yes we still have the same 3 midfield options play 95% mid, and yes we constantly bomb the ball 30 out to a big pack and we have a gaping hole in our salary cap from paying players like swallow, fiorini, atkins etc 3 times their worth. Yes our skills don't seem to have improved moving the ball from defence, our pressure doesn't last for 4 quarters and when challenged we don't have a plan B. But it goes so much deeper then that. You see I was bullied as a child and so when I see performances like that I think it's us playing crap but actually I'm just trying to get the bullies back, I see it now. Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back