2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dr Phil, I thought I was basing my opinion on the dog poo performances I've seen this year, but it probably stems from unresolved issues I have with my father. Sure, st kildas injury list is 10x worse than ours, and yes we still have the same 3 midfield options play 95% mid, and yes we constantly bomb the ball 30 out to a big pack and we have a gaping hole in our salary cap from paying players like swallow, fiorini, atkins etc 3 times their worth. Yes our skills don't seem to have improved moving the ball from defence, our pressure doesn't last for 4 quarters and when challenged we don't have a plan B. But it goes so much deeper then that. You see I was bullied as a child and so when I see performances like that I think it's us playing crap but actually I'm just trying to get the bullies back, I see it now. Thankyou

Maybe try some breath based meditation every morning.....
Very healthy for the mind, especially after 5/8ths of crap on Saturday night.

Footy fans are very reactive so I get why you feel that way after the St Kilda game and I get why you (I think it was you) were pessimistic in the lead up to the Geelong game. Pessimism is a natural human reaction that is used as a coping mechanism to alleviate anxiety and soften the blow when things don't go the way you would like. Passionately following a footy club can be stressful and I understand we all cope with results in different ways so whether you actually believe we're "crap" or not, it's probably your way of dealing with recent results and that's fine. There's a famous saying within footy circles that I'm sure you've heard and it goes that 'it's never as good as it seems and it's never as bad as it seems' and I subscribe to that.

FWIW I don't think we're "crap" as you put it. I can see we have the talent to challenge for a finals position. The question is - why aren't we winning? Is it our injuries? Is it our draw? Is it our coach? Week by week we get more information about potential issues that are holding us back and I personally think we went in too young against the Saints and that really hurt our chances of realistically being competitive with arguably the form team of the competition over four quarters. Like I stated in the lead up to the Geelong game knowing Powell was about to return, I think we're going to see a much better team performance on Friday with Witts and Ellis likely to rejoin the team and some under performers going back to the VFL.

If we beat Freo then we'll be 2-3 with some winnable games to come immediately afterwards. Look at the way Collingwood built into the season last year after starting 2-3 to see what's possible.
Thats a lot of words saying absolutely nothing. You're the one that said beating Geelong would fix the first 2 rounds, how did that go for ya? Still feeling like it fixed it?

Yeah your right… no one would choose Daicos or Ashcroft or Sheezle over Ben long or Rory Atkins.
My apologies.
Continue on as per usual GCFC
And when were we in the position to get any of those players bailey Humphrey was really good I thought will only get better aswell

There is some seriously good prospects in this year's draft so I guess there would be a silver lining if it all went pear shaped. The wizard Watson would replace rankine, duursma looks a complete player and is close with Humphrey, moir is super skilled which we seriously lack and then there's the obvious Harley reid who could be dusty reborn.

The negative backlash frustrates me also but then I read other clubs boards and realise it's everywhere. The amount of criticism Clayton oliver cops when Melbourne lose is astounding. As disappointing as it is there's still a very talented team there that can easily turn things around. Whether they do or not who knows but I'd rather put my energy into supporting my team rather than constantly bagging it. Hopefully the players don't have the same defeated mentality.
Of course it's everywhere. It's human nature to become emotional when it comes to something you're passionate about and resorting to pessimism as a defence mechanism is very common. If I say we're bad and we play poorly then I'm not disappointed because I expected it, but if we win I'll be less vocal about my belief that we're bad while being pleasantly surprised about the result.

The reason why I don't typically post on our board during a game / straight after a game is because that's when people are usually at their highest emotional state based on what they've just seen and are susceptible to writing something they don't actually believe. I give it time, process the result and then try to contribute with a cooler head later that day or the next day.

I'm with you though. I'd rather put my energy into supporting our team than constantly bagging it.

Thanks Dr Phil, I thought I was basing my opinion on the dog poo performances I've seen this year, but it probably stems from unresolved issues I have with my father. Sure, st kildas injury list is 10x worse than ours, and yes we still have the same 3 midfield options play 95% mid, and yes we constantly bomb the ball 30 out to a big pack and we have a gaping hole in our salary cap from paying players like swallow, fiorini, atkins etc 3 times their worth. Yes our skills don't seem to have improved moving the ball from defence, our pressure doesn't last for 4 quarters and when challenged we don't have a plan B. But it goes so much deeper then that. You see I was bullied as a child and so when I see performances like that I think it's us playing crap but actually I'm just trying to get the bullies back, I see it now. Thankyou.
Amazing that you extrapolated that from what I wrote. I was just pointing out that pessimism is commonplace within a group of footy supporters when their team is underperforming and you've decided to turn it into a joke by bringing up very real mental health issues that people on this forum struggle with. Can we have a proper discussion about footy without any kind of mockery? Happy to discuss the points you've brought up that don't involve ridicule towards mental health issues.

Thats a lot of words saying absolutely nothing. You're the one that said beating Geelong would fix the first 2 rounds, how did that go for ya? Still feeling like it fixed it?
Go back to the posts on this board from last week and you'll see there was far more optimism amongst our supporters after we beat Geelong. There were genuine discussions (not involving me might I add) about the game plan working and being on the right track. Now we have more evidence to digest and that changes the feel once again. On Friday night we'll have even more evidence that we'll be able to digest and I dare say the vibe on this board will be different again should we beat Fremantle. This is what I meant about footy supporters being very reactive. Bad vibe two weeks ago after the Essendon loss, good vibe last week after the Geelong win, bad vibe this week after the St Kilda loss and potentially a good vibe next week if we beat Freo. It's the rollercoaster ride that comes with supporting a team in a season where they trying to make the jump into the top 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben McKay is getting a touch up from daniher today, I reckon north may be prepared to let him go if they get band 1 compo. Could net them a combo of Watson, archer reid or something similar.

Ben McKay is getting a touch up from daniher today, I reckon north may be prepared to let him go if they get band 1 compo. Could net them a combo of Watson, archer reid or something similar.
He did not play in over a month (not much training with bone stress in foot too). I am sure North would love to keep him.

No chance they let him go if they have the choice. Absolutely 0

There has been some talk in the media on how far other teams are willing to go to get pick 1 to acquire Harley reid. If it is hawthorn that finishes bottom of the ladder as most expect I wonder what it would take to tempt them. I reckon our only chance would be if ben king all of a sudden requested a trade back home. There is going to be some crazy offers put forward that haven't been seen before, Melbourne will offer 15 first rounders.

Unless we finish bottom I don’t think we’re a realistic chance of nabbing Harley Reid unless we offered up something ridiculous which I don’t believe we are in a position to do. And I couldn’t imagine a player so in demand sticking around here anyway.
We have to persist with growing our local contingent and pray we end up with a few stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back