Player Watch Paul Seedsman - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think it’s necessarily a simple answer. I can imagine 6 months of therapy would be adjudicated differently to a 6-day course, for example.
How does it work? I'm no expert on the subject, but I assume it would be banned under the rules around illicit drug use, rather than as a performance enhancing drug? So assuming it isn't performance enhancing, then if it's being used under the prescription and supervision of a doctor is it still even considered an illicit drug? Surely there would have to be some kind of consideration / exemption for a medical-use scenario like this?

How does it work? I'm no expert on the subject, but I assume it would be banned under the rules around illicit drug use, rather than as a performance enhancing drug? So assuming it isn't performance enhancing, then if it's being used under the prescription and supervision of a doctor is it still even considered an illicit drug? Surely there would have to be some kind of consideration / exemption for a medical-use scenario like this?

CBD isn't on the prohibited list but THC is. However, there is a process to apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) from WADA

I doubt pot in any form could be considered performance enhancing. The Prince of Seagulls from "The Club" comes to mind.

Hope it helps in Seeds recovery. If he can get regular sleep and reduce or eliminate headaches then his body will be in a much better state to heal. A long term lack of sleep really hinders recovery. Wish him all the best with the treatment.

As it appears to be being prescribed through a TGA process, applying for a TUE from WADA would be straight forward.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429-210816_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429-210816_Drive.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 38
It’s in the realms of sports medicine, which isn’t a field I’m particularly educated on. Your questions in the above would be something I’d ask too. Then there’s the issue of what would be the maximum dose/duration for a player to be cleared to play during the season following successful treatment?

My gut feel is that it would have to be judged from a case-to-case basis, due to several overlapping topics. Medicinal cannabis is still an evolving field, mixed with the unknown of how players would perform post-treatment, mixed with the legalities of substance use in sports.

Surely they don’t think he could play again.
Anyone able to post content?
I’ve suspected for a very long time, he’ll never play again. I’m interested in the positive affects (if they really exist) of medical cannabis. My understanding is the THC Is removed or considerably lowered. THC is what gives the high.

I’ve suspected for a very long time, he’ll never play again. I’m interested in the positive affects (if they really exist) of medical cannabis. My understanding is the THC Is removed or considerably lowered. THC is what gives the high.
Correct, CBD is derived from cannabis but doesn't give a high without THC. Cannabis stores are legal where I live, as ubiquitous as Starbucks.

I've used it for stress relief, pain relief and as a sleep aid. Very effective.

At least he can now find a way ahead

"

hippie.

seriously though, whatever helps. MDMA is apparently doing amazing things in trials for PTSD sufferers, particularly those that serve(d) in the military. Removing genuine weapons to help people purely due to an ever failing 'war on drugs' is probably the most stupid act of politicians. Especially given how many of that industry would enjoy an evening out on the nose beers and/or disco biscuits.

It’s in the realms of sports medicine, which isn’t a field I’m particularly educated on. Your questions in the above would be something I’d ask too. Then there’s the issue of what would be the maximum dose/duration for a player to be cleared to play during the season following successful treatment?

My gut feel is that it would have to be judged from a case-to-case basis, due to several overlapping topics. Medicinal cannabis is still an evolving field, mixed with the unknown of how players would perform post-treatment, mixed with the legalities of substance use in sports.

so we can add that to the list that includes every other field of medicine?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think some here understand the downside of medicinal cannabis, as if it’s a wonder drug that can do no harm. Any analgesic medication that acts on the brain can cause potential drowsiness, tiredness or sleepiness. So by extension, can medicinal cannabis potentially cause a player to be more at risk of concussions? Particularly with Seeds scenario, would be kinda ironic if it helps settle his concussion symptoms, but then makes him prone to having another concussion!

So I’m thinking there has to be a minimal period where a player needs to wait out after the treatment. How long the wait, is the million dollar question.

Correct, CBD is derived from cannabis but doesn't give a high without THC. Cannabis stores are legal where I live, as ubiquitous as Starbucks.

I've used it for stress relief, pain relief and as a sleep aid. Very effective.
I’m tempted to see if my GP would give me a prescription for my *******ity (spas tisity - holy heck how can spelling that correctly incur the swear filter?). Sleep aid? Does it make you tired?

I don’t think some here understand the downside of medicinal cannabis, as if it’s a wonder drug that can do no harm. Any analgesic medication that acts on the brain can cause potential drowsiness, tiredness or sleepiness. So by extension, can medicinal cannabis potentially cause a player to be more at risk of concussions? Particularly with Seeds scenario, would be kinda ironic if it helps settle his concussion symptoms, but then makes him prone to having another concussion!

So I’m thinking there has to be a minimal period where a player needs to wait out after the treatment. How long the wait, is the million dollar question.
It’s taken in such small doses, I guess it depends how much is taken. From what I’ve seen, the side effects from CBD are a big improvement on the side effects of Opioids. Of course every case is different. If myself or any of my family were in a situation of requiring this type of medication for pain relief - I’d strongly be pushing to go down the CBD path rather than Opioid path. Pity it is so expensive.

It’s taken in such small doses, I guess it depends how much is taken. From what I’ve seen, the side effects from CBD are a big improvement on the side effects of Opioids. Of course every case is different. If myself or any of my family were in a situation of requiring this type of medication for pain relief - I’d strongly be pushing to go down the CBD path rather than Opioid path. Pity it is so expensive.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to the use of CBD. I’m just talking specifically in the concept of it being used with sporting atheletes, and my question to how it can affect players post-treatment. There still would be a lot of unknown in the after-effects. It’s a topic that I find interesting for sure.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to the use of CBD. I’m just talking specifically in the concept of it being used with sporting atheletes, and my question to how it can affect players post-treatment. There still would be a lot of unknown in the after-effects. It’s a topic that I find interesting for sure.
Did read recently that coke (coca cola) has a legal license to put something in their drink that produces cocaine which is sold to pharmaceutical for opioid production? Of course nothing illegal is put in coke itself.

Did read recently that coke (coca cola) has a legal license to put something in their drink that produces cocaine which is sold to pharmaceutical for opioid production? Of course nothing illegal is put in coke itself.
So maybe Coca Cola is the cure for Seeds? 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Paul Seedsman - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back