Coach UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to hear Ross say that he head hunted Mini when he got the job but he decided to stay at the Tigers.

Sounds like Harves wasn’t the number one pick.
Wouldn’t mind some of that Richmond intel that’s for sure. Generally caretaker coaches don’t get the job and are moved on, can definitely see him with us next year.

Assuming McQualter doesn’t get the permanent job at Richmond, you’d think he’d be much more gettable at the end of the season. Hardwick gone and the interim coach often moves on after finishing the stint. Would be a nice addition to the team at year’s end.
What would his role be though?

I can't see any of our line coaches leaving so soon.unless they get a senior role.

No doubt Ross is keen to get him so I'm sure they'd be able to move the magnets around to fit him in.

What would his role be though?

I can't see any of our line coaches leaving so soon.unless they get a senior role.

No doubt Ross is keen to get him so I'm sure they'd be able to move the magnets around to fit him in.
Yeah I'm sure they could shuffle the decks/find an additional role (providing we have the room in the soft cap). Collingwood have four proper assistants with Leppitsch, Bolton, Selwood and Skipworth for example. Haven't looked into other clubs, but I imagine an extra quality coach like Mini could only be a good thing.

There could be a swathe of coaching vacancies opening up soon. You would think that if McQualter doesn’t ascend to the Richmond job, that he would be in contention elsewhere.

Joining the Saints at this stage in his career would almost be a downward trajectory.

True theres many and thered be a fair few candidates, a couple of saints assistants would have to be in contention as well, theres every chance if for whatever reason mini doesnt get richmond gig (i wont speculate on what other coaching roles will come up), theres a very real chance he'll be at the saints next year.

Mind you, you'd think itd be highly unlikely hed miss out if richmond have a reasonable rest of the season.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

ROUND 11 - POST GAME
ROUND 13 - MIDWEEK
"Football is a weakest link game. It's not a strongest link game. We're not a basketball court where one person can turn around a franchise." - RTB

Let me say at the outset that I agree that raising the quality and production of the bottom end of a team is vitally important. But, the 'franchise' players that Ross is a little dismissive of here, are also very, very important to the ability to make a team hum.

If we were to lay these comments over our list management strategy it should be find better fringe players, but always hold on to your best.

Collingwood did very well to recruit Tom Mitchell, who has undeniably made them a better team. But if they had of lost De Goey, then Tom Mitchell's impact would be diminished.

Last edited:
"Football is a weakest link game. It's not a strongest link game. We're not a basketball court where one person can turn around a franchise." - RTB

Let me say at the outset that I agree that raising the quality and production of the bottom end of a team is vitally important. But, the 'franchise' players that Ross is a little dismissive of here, are also very, very important to the ability to make a team hum.

If we were to lay these comments over our list management strategy it should be find better fringe players, but always hold on to your best.

Collingwood did very well to recruit Tom Mitchell, who has undeniably made them a better team. But if they had of lost De Goey, then Tom Mitchell's impact would be diminished.

You don't generally get better losing players that are in your best 22.

ROUND 13 - POST GAME
Interesting that Ross makes reference to the Hawks game saying "We tried to bite off somethings with our attack and we actually went backwards in some areas, we tried to bite off with our defence and we lost that. To our credit the assistant coaches identified that and delivered it to the players."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's his bag though.

He talks about audits - mostly of ourselves but undoubtedly is conducting 17 other stringent audits of the other AFL teams - and works on negating the guns of the league. He'll happily flood the forward line and unapologetically create a bumbling stumbling clump of players like we saw in the first quarter of the Sydney game. He sees Chaosball as a plus.

His focus is finding the holes in the plans or teams he's up against, much more than trying to entertain neutral footy lovers with highlights packages

As much as it hurts, the rest of the footy world have a point with LyonBall, we might yet learn how to be dazzling along the way but that's of little interest to RTB. He just wants to take teams into the deep end and see what it is that fails, what can be exploited.

I personally have deep reservations against low scoring games - you're always vulnerable as GF09 proved only too well - but I'm happy for Ross to bring back non-negotiables and integrity and grit to our club and whatever it takes to get that us fine by me. I'd rather we were feared and cursed than patronised and tolerated as a non-threat.

That's his bag though.

He talks about audits - mostly of ourselves but undoubtedly is conducting 17 other stringent audits of the other AFL teams - and works on negating the guns of the league. He'll happily flood the forward line and unapologetically create a bumbling stumbling clump of players like we saw in the first quarter of the Sydney game. He sees Chaosball as a plus.

His focus is finding the holes in the plans or teams he's up against, much more than trying to entertain neutral footy lovers with highlights packages

As much as it hurts, the rest of the footy world have a point with LyonBall, we might yet learn how to be dazzling along the way but that's of little interest to RTB. He just wants to take teams into the deep end and see what it is that fails, what can be exploited.

I personally have deep reservations against low scoring games - you're always vulnerable as GF09 proved only too well - but I'm happy for Ross to bring back non-negotiables and integrity and grit to our club and whatever it takes to get that us fine by me. I'd rather we were feared and cursed than patronised and tolerated as a non-threat.
Agree wholeheartedly about how low scoring means that the opponent is always still in the game.

He does reference that we’re still ranked very well at scoring from turnover and it’s the scoring from stoppage we’re not good at.

I am hoping that means he has a plan to improve our game around clearance.

Agree wholeheartedly about how low scoring means that the opponent is always still in the game.

He does reference that we’re still ranked very well at scoring from turnover and it’s the scoring from stoppage we’re not good at.

I am hoping that means he has a plan to improve our game around clearance.

I can't see how we improve that without either recruiting an extractor inside mid or playing Gresham full time on ball. He's probably our best pure extractor. Otherwise play someone else off HB and move Sinclair on ball full time. It's still the biggest issue with having Marshall as our full time solo ruck, his ruck craft is average so doesn't give an advantage on top of already being light on for mids that win first use.

Otherwise we need a Richmond style game plan that makes clearance and stoppage work less of a priority.

Scoring from turnover is everything so I don’t mind if the stoppage scoring comes later. I don’t see scoring from stoppage ever being a strength with this midfield though but as long as our turnover game is strong history says that’s what’s most important.

I can't see how we improve that without either recruiting an extractor inside mid or playing Gresham full time on ball. He's probably our best pure extractor. Otherwise play someone else off HB and move Sinclair on ball full time. It's still the biggest issue with having Marshall as our full time solo ruck, his ruck craft is average so doesn't give an advantage on top of already being light on for mids that win first use.

Otherwise we need a Richmond style game plan that makes clearance and stoppage work less of a priority.
If we are purely looking at the talent list that we've currently got then he either needs Bytel to come on, or Peris/Hotton to get up to AFL standard to release Gresham into the midfield. But it still begs the question of who Gresham bumps out of the team?

If we are purely looking at the talent list that we've currently got then he either needs Bytel to come on, or Peris/Hotton to get up to AFL standard to release Gresham into the midfield. But it still begs the question of who Gresham bumps out of the team?

Right now perhaps Clark?

That's his bag though.

The only thing that GF 09 proved was bad kicking at goal can be horribly costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back