Coach UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

ROUND 15 - POST GAME
Ross looked worn down in this press conference.

He laments how badly beaten we were in stoppage, and in his own words "highlights in the short term, improvement in the long term, personnel wise where we need to get to as well". I'm hoping that translates into he has instructed recruiters to find some midfield talent. He points out that the defender we sent into the midfield (Sinclair) was probably our best, which I think is his way of poking his midfielders. Clearly unhappy with Steele's first half, and Windhager's contribution.

"A Year of Exploaration. I keep finding out, I dound out a lot about individuals tonight".

A backhand for the umpires..."I've got a lot more to look after in my background than some bodgy decision."

Ross looked worn down in this press conference.

He laments how badly beaten we were in stoppage, and in his own words "highlights in the short term, improvement in the long term, personnel wise where we need to get to as well". I'm hoping that translates into he has instructed recruiters to find some midfield talent. He points out that the defender we sent into the midfield (Sinclair) was probably our best, which I think is his way of poking his midfielders. Clearly unhappy with Steele's first half, and Windhager's contribution.

"A Year of Exploaration. I keep finding out, I dound out a lot about individuals tonight".

A backhand for the umpires..."I've got a lot more to look after in my background than some bodgy decision."

He was sick apparently. Sounded terrible.

It seemed to me he is under no illusions re the quality of our list & in particular our lack of powerful midfielders with speed.

Thought his comments re Caminiti were very balanced - along the lines that he is a good young guy who couldn’t match it with Andrews but that’s to be expected & Caminiti knows what he has to work on in the off season in the gym.

ROUND 16 - MIDWEEK
"I'm still trying to understand the lack of system and how we want to play, in the first half to the second. I still can't get my head around it."

"We were aggressive and brave, but there is aggressive and stupid, and we probably sat there in the first half."

"We can just have those [moments] where I don't recognise what we're trying to do. Somewhere there is a disconnect."

"Our midfield is spluttering. We're trying to find the combination there."

"I was more the disappointed father today."

ROUND 18 - POST GAME
Too much/just enough drink, and as far away from the pain as I can get.
But; but there's no way that Ross and the rest of the club are giving up just yet. A year of exploration provides a fine excuse, but 5th at round 20 provides an opportunity that can't be ignored.
Two wins in the next month (hopefully) gets us a run in September and after that it's purely week to week.
A (good - please) win this week will get everyone up and about, but even if that doesn't eventuate we've still got more opportunities.

Too much/just enough drink, and as far away from the pain as I can get.
But; but there's no way that Ross and the rest of the club are giving up just yet. A year of exploration provides a fine excuse, but 5th at round 20 provides an opportunity that can't be ignored.
Two wins in the next month (hopefully) gets us a run in September and after that it's purely week to week.
A (good - please) win this week will get everyone up and about, but even if that doesn't eventuate we've still got more opportunities.

You get the feeling Ross Lyon is a bit stung by not getting any respect for what he's been able to achieve so far. Everything he's saying sounds like he thinks our achievement is being played down. It would be so good if we could Kayser Soze everyone leading into finals, limp along looking wounded and meek and **** them all up when the whips are cracking.

Everyones lining up to beat up little St Kilda on the last day of school but he's that crazy little ****er that took a kitchen knife to school after listening to too many Metal records. Test us at your peril.

You get the feeling Ross Lyon is a bit stung by not getting any respect for what he's been able to achieve so far. Everything he's saying sounds like he thinks our achievement is being played down. It would be so good if we could Kayser Soze everyone leading into finals, limp along looking wounded and meek and * them all up when the whips are cracking.

Everyones lining up to beat up little St Kilda on the last day of school but he's that crazy little *er that took a kitchen knife to school after listening to too many Metal records. Test us at your peril.
Even Dwayne Russell who was a self confessed non fan up until the last couple of weeks is now clearly on the bandwagon even talking RTB up as the coach of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get the feeling Ross Lyon is a bit stung by not getting any respect for what he's been able to achieve so far. Everything he's saying sounds like he thinks our achievement is being played down. It would be so good if we could Kayser Soze everyone leading into finals, limp along looking wounded and meek and * them all up when the whips are cracking.

Everyones lining up to beat up little St Kilda on the last day of school but he's that crazy little *er that took a kitchen knife to school after listening to too many Metal records. Test us at your peril.
Maybe he is just waiting for closure from Ratten, like him thanking the players and supporters publically for their support?

🤣

Can’t be long now… 😬

Could our fanbase handle a rebuild like this next year? Bit envious, frankly

We did the same thing when we retired all of our own guys but hadn't put together anything behind them. Nailing guys like Mitch Lewis who is a better forward than King at the moment with the last pick in the draft helps. Picking up Hardwick and Worpol types with late picks, Scrimshaw and Newcombe with loose change and getting a lot of their draft picks right helps immensely. If you draft a couple of good players every draft while you are challenging you have a layer coming through under them. Pies did it too.

We ended up having to pay top dollar for GOPs because not only did we **** up all our high picks, we kept grabbing C and D graders or broken recycled players which took spots and capital. Once they failed we grabbed at more shit ones with the same issues.

We could retire everyone over the age of Max King and be the worst side in AFL for a few years and try to rebuild from the ashes but doubt that will show results for another 10 years. We just haven't put together a decent core list to work off.

We did the same thing when we retired all of our own guys but hadn't put together anything behind them. Nailing guys like Mitch Lewis who is a better forward than King at the moment with the last pick in the draft helps. Picking up Hardwick and Worpol types with late picks, Scrimshaw and Newcombe with loose change and getting a lot of their draft picks right helps immensely. If you draft a couple of good players every draft while you are challenging you have a layer coming through under them. Pies did it too.

We ended up having to pay top dollar for GOPs because not only did we * up all our high picks, we kept grabbing C and D graders or broken recycled players which took spots and capital. Once they failed we grabbed at more s**t ones with the same issues.

We could retire everyone over the age of Max King and be the worst side in AFL for a few years and try to rebuild from the ashes but doubt that will show results for another 10 years. We just haven't put together a decent core list to work off.
There's no point dwelling on what has been, to me it seems like Ross and Co will cut the list aggressively and head to the draft. The draft is the only way to build a team for success. You recruit a few missing bits here or there through FA or trade, but the draft is the main place that we have to put the work in.

Ross has done pretty well considering our forwardline has been full of kids all year and we've got an abhorent midfield. This was always a long term project, Hawks are 2-3 years into a full on rebuild, this is effectively year 1 for us. That being said, I don't think we'll bottom out.

Could our fanbase handle a rebuild like this next year? Bit envious, frankly
Hawks beat Collingwood during their high training load pre finals prep period. I’m not too concerned by them. We beat them easily FFS and we are not exactly traveling well…!

Edit: this is why you often see teams way out in front have a bit of a wobble about five rounds out. They get extra work into the legs to be “fresher” for finals. I recall we did it 09 & 10 and others doing it around the same time.

The media lose their minds over the results.

There's no point dwelling on what has been, to me it seems like Ross and Co will cut the list aggressively and head to the draft. The draft is the only way to build a team for success. You recruit a few missing bits here or there through FA or trade, but the draft is the main place that we have to put the work in.

Ross has done pretty well considering our forwardline has been full of kids all year and we've got an abhorent midfield. This was always a long term project, Hawks are 2-3 years into a full on rebuild, this is effectively year 1 for us. That being said, I don't think we'll bottom out.

Disagree that the draft is the only way. You need multiple ways or you only incrementally improve, Geelong were good at finding alternative pathways guys on the cheap. Dees we targeting very specific players in trade and draft and gave up lots to get them but also got plenty of cheap money ball players too.

I think we'll cut but not excessively hard, we have pretty good start to a rebuild on the fly. I think we'll use a few different strategies, we overpaid for mid career guys because we blew the draft and had holes. We don't want to do that again but could find some bargain pick ups and good players under-utilised.

We are not in year one of a rebuild either. We are probably a year ahead of the Hawks in some ways but their 22 to 26 year old level is better and stronger.

ROUND 23 - POST GAME
ROUND 24 - MIDWEEK

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back