Coach UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

ROUND 10 - MIDWEEK

Ross made an interesting little slip when he said "My philosophy is basically if you don't do T2 then you don't play. Unless you're Rowan Marshall like last week." Sounds like Rowan is carrying enough injury niggle for the club to manage him carefully.

Based on that presser I'd say King, Webster and Gresham are definite returns if they can get up. Nothing around Billings or Windhager.

Not so sure RTB is a huge Steele fan

He's a very targeted communicator. If he says something negative it's probably to prod someone into action. He expects absolute effort from all his players but if you are a leader of his sides you have to find a way to put in more than 100%. Steele is a very very good player but I think he's got levels to go up. If anyone can dig it out of him it's Rosco.

He's a very targeted communicator. If he says something negative it's probably to prod someone into action. He expects absolute effort from all his players but if you are a leader of his sides you have to find a way to put in more than 100%. Steele is a very very good player but I think he's got levels to go up. If anyone can dig it out of him it's Rosco.
The bit were RTB said I don’t know if Jack could handle the old Ross

We all know the old Ross is just underneath the surface right. Once the honeymoon wears off and we start to really move into the contention zone, old ruthless will come straight back out.

We all know the old Ross is just underneath the surface right. Once the honeymoon wears off and we start to really move into the contention zone, old ruthless will come straight back out.
Hope so

It’s not Ross that needed to change more some of the senior players that have been there for while and are happy to cruise

I’d love someone to question him about what’s next for our ball movement which has completely disappeared. That first quarter in the Freo game was electric.

Ross is across everything.
Obviously knew that Steele is sponsored by Kayo, that he was interviewed on SEN yesterday and what he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 10 - POST GAME
1684706257719.png

Last edited:
Referred to Owens as “a pretty special player”. Love it.
Ross clearly enjoys talking about Owens and Caminiti. His whole demeanour lights up.

He had a visceral reaction when he was asked about Stocker though, and his response was also quite telling I thought. He obviously expects more from Liam. Watch this space.

Most Saints players a lot slower to play on after receiving ball, back to 2022 levels. Tiredness? Probably

I was speaking to my Tigers mate who was watching the match and has been watching us this year. He was saying that he thinks Lyon has moved from playing us as a pure system where there is little freedom to a more open style of play where you take on the game on your own merit. Attacking the game rather than minimising damage and then counter punching. He reckons it will be better for finals to have two speeds.

It was interesting listing to someone not invested in us. He really loved Marshall in that last game and his year to date. Said he's close to the best ruck in the league or the best. Can't remember which but he was blowing his load over him. Loved Sinclair, Wangers and Caminiti. Said he hopes they steal Gresham off us too.

I think sometimes our opinions of players colour how we see their games.

I was speaking to my Tigers mate who was watching the match and has been watching us this year. He was saying that he thinks Lyon has moved from playing us as a pure system where there is little freedom to a more open style of play where you take on the game on your own merit. Attacking the game rather than minimising damage and then counter punching. He reckons it will be better for finals to have two speeds.

It was interesting listing to someone not invested in us. He really loved Marshall in that last game and his year to date. Said he's close to the best ruck in the league or the best. Can't remember which but he was blowing his load over him. Loved Sinclair, Wangers and Caminiti. Said he hopes they steal Gresham off us too.

I think sometimes our opinions of players colour how we see their games.
Marshall is an interesting one. I think Witts and Darcy are undeniably the two most dominant tap ruckmen in the league. But Rowan is definitely having a fine season and his numbers stack up.

1684836356338.png

He is definitely playing with a more defensive mindset this year. His heat map shows he is spending very little time forward in attack like he has in past seasons, and he appears in fewer scoring chains than he has in previous seasons as well. There has definitely been a slight shift in his role and to be honest I'm not quite sure whether it has made him better or not.

7800fed449d0dfdd30d516f4da6e3a8e.jpg

Most Saints players a lot slower to play on after receiving ball, back to 2022 levels. Tiredness? Probably
The play on had definitely slowed down the last few weeks but I actually didn’t mind the way we moved the ball on the weekend. We tried to move it quickly and in the end had more than enough scoring shots to win but some costly skill errors hurt us. GWS had more speed and skill though and it definitely showed. They’ve got about 4 or 5 Sinclair’s, we’ve got one.

ROUND 11 - MIDWEEK

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back