News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks did what they had to do by the rules of the AFL.
Correct. For reference below, once the HFC had the report outlining serious allegations they were duty bound by the AFL’s protocol to hand over the report to the AFL integrity unit.

I will pin this post, as it seems to be a constant query.

3FB2C172-49CC-4619-8AE6-C93597A89870.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Report comes to the AFL which requires integrity, professionalism and transparency.

Gil's reaction

images

I'd definitely cop that and move on. Interesting Melbourne didn't get any draft sanctions for blatant "bringing the game into disrepute" either.

This is what the AFL is hoping Hawthorn will do. "You've got plenty of money. Just pay something so we can declare this closed." The draft pick talk is added as a little temperature enhancement to get the board to panic and simply pay up.

But I am opposed simply on the principle that the last party that should get any money from this is the AFL. Or, if we pay then we get more than just the threat of draft picks removed. We get a public statement that we followed the process. With a reconfirmation of the investigation (heh, investigation) outcomes. Essentially, if we pay money then I want the AFL to admit it was all their fault. Otherwise, I say fight it. Fight it as hard as we fight suspensions in the tribunal.

Last edited:

Can confirm 1st round pick is definitely on the table
If so then I fully expect all the powers at be at the HFC to lawyer up and take this to court. As has been previously mentioned if they want to sanction us for the treatment of Indigenous players if accusations are proven then we have to take that medicine but not for the handling of the report.

Last edited:
Report comes in
Hawthorn sends to afl as per policy
AFL does nothing
If the rumour is true that we actually had the report for a lot longer than initially reported, and did nothing prompting it to leak before sending to the AFL, then that would change things.
Can confirm 1st round pick is definitely on the table
Wow that would be ****ing devastating if so.

If the rumour is true that we actually had the report for a lot longer than initially reported, and did nothing prompting it to leak before sending to the AFL, then that would change things.

Who is spreading this rumour? And is he paid by the AFL?

Actually, there may be a complaint here that is not valid. The time between the last interview and the time when Hawthorn received the report could be quite long. They are big things to type up with lots of cross-referencing and double-checking. Then the board has to read and absorb it and get advice from the lawyers on their obligations and options in light of it. More time.

But it definitely leaked after the report was sent to the AFL. Can you point me to an article documenting differently? I'm not aware of one.

Wow that would be ******* devastating if so.
I’ll change my assessment when the facts change but not based on some vague rumour given the published timeline disagrees with the rumour.

If so then I fully expect all the powers at be at the HFC to lawyer up and take this to court. As has been previously mentioned if they want to sanction us for the treatment of Indigenous players if accusations are proven then we have to take that medicine but not for the handling of the report.
Can we get an injunction in the meantime?
Has any club ever taken the AFL to court?

I can’t see how draft picks come into this discussion as a possible sanction. We didn’t cheat! We didn’t seek an on -field advantage through seeking feedback from First Nations players. We were duty bound to act on the public comments made by Cyril. There are unaligned authorities who have basically supported the clubs approach. At best the club might be guilty of some admin errors ( I’m still not sure what errors, incidentally) but if so, these were mistakes rather than a calculated attempt to gain an advantage or damage others. Given that, I can’t see how we can be sanctioned for the process and certainly not punished by losing draft picks!

I could have worn copping a sanction for the treatment of the First Nations players that gave rise to the complaints in the first place. But the fact that the AFL cleared the staff alleged to be responsible for those complaints makes punishing HFC for them now seem absurd! How can the club be sanctioned for accusations that the AFL’s own review says were not substantiated?!

It’s like we are starring in our own Kafka novel!

Who is spreading this rumour? And is he paid by the AFL?

Actually, there may be a complaint here that is not valid. The time between the last interview and the time when Hawthorn received the report could be quite long. They are big things to type up with lots of cross-referencing and double-checking. Then the board has to read and absorb it and get advice from the lawyers on their obligations and options in light of it. More time.

But it definitely leaked after the report was sent to the AFL. Can you point me to an article documenting differently? I'm not aware of one.
Luke Hodge said on SEN that he understood it was actually a "long time" that we held onto it, prompting the leak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we get an injunction in the meantime?
Has any club ever taken the AFL to court?
No I can't ever remember an AFL club ever taking the AFL to court. If ever there was a time to do so then threatening to strip us of draft picks whilst following the protocol they set out would be it. I'm trying to find the extract of the article where Gowers hinted to taking this court if it went down that path. Gowers needs to make a statement on this in that we aren't going to be the scapegoat.

Luke Hodge said on SEN that he understood it was actually a "long time" that we held onto it, prompting the leak.

Not to indict Hodge or you, but that is the epitome of hearsay. And we have comments at the time of the leak that the AFL had the report before the leaks happened. Also, given the very reasonable reasons that things this important take time, I don't think this rumour has much substance, despite the person relaying it.

Not to indict Hodge or you, but that is the epitome of hearsay. And we have comments at the time of the leak that the AFL had the report before the leaks happened. Also, given the very reasonable reasons that things this important take time, I don't think this rumour has much substance, despite the person relaying it.

I'd say possibly due to the person relaying it.

No I can't ever remember an AFL club ever taking the AFL to court. If ever there was a time to do so then threatening to strip us of draft picks whilst following the protocol they set out would be it. I'm trying to find the extract of the article where Gowers hinted to taking this court if it went down that path. Gowers needs to make a statement on this in that we aren't going to be the scapegoat.

The weaker hand always takes the argument to the media. I'm happy with his hint in this direction. I'm sure he's told the AFL this explicitly. The AFL is trying to get this tried in the public eye rather than in a court because in a court they are stuffed.

Luke Hodge doesn’t know what he is taking about in this case and has a personal bias towards Fagan and Clarkson. Hawthorn had the report on the desk of the AFL within a week. And I wish people would stop talking about a leak. There was no leak, there was no confidentiality clause within the report that Hawthorn commissioned. This was a failing on Hawthorn’s part as they were the party that set the terms of reference.

I have no doubt this is the nub of Gil’s anger towards Hawthorn. By conducting a report sans a confidentiality clause has allowed story to enter the public domain without the AFL having any control over the narrative. Furthermore, the way the story went public disadvantaged the accused of which we know one (Clarko) has a close relationship with Gil. Thirdly, the uncontrolled airing also meant that any opportunity to resolve the differences between the parties became that much harder.

In summary, Hawthorn, believing they were doing the right thing in commissioning an independent report, went beyond what the were required to do by the AFL. They need only of reported the issue to AFL and let the AFL handle it.

Closest I can think of is when Foschini took the then- VFL to court trying to get a clearance from the Swans to the Saints against the prevailing zoning system rules. He won, incidentally.

The weaker hand always takes the argument to the media. I'm happy with his hint in this direction. I'm sure he's told the AFL this explicitly. The AFL is trying to get this tried in the public eye rather than in a court because in a court they are stuffed.

Closest I can think of is when Foschini took the then- VFL to court trying to get a clearance from the Swans to the Saints against the prevailing zoning system rules. He won, incidentally.
I think there's been several players who have (e.g. recent ones re: head injuries/ class action)

also see: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/8104f806ae9e05077c6fee809ab16eb8

1686015099722.png

1686015113808.png

1686015134166.png

1686015150665.png

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Back